Kroger

Relevance Date Difficulty

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Suwanee, GA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Kroger in August 2013.

Interview Details – 20 min interview, drug test by saliva, told me I would paid minimum wage, hired on the spot, negotiable hours, asked where I went to school, how long I plan on staying, and an increase in wage 50 cents every six months

Interview Question – What does kroger provide?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Quick and easy

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Courtesy Clerk
Baytown, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Kroger in February 2013.

Interview Details – They will give you a call and set you up with an interview at a kroger store location. It will be a group interview ranging up to 10 people give or take. They will ask you questions about Kroger and questions about your life. They will also ask you what can you offer if you were to to be hired. Always best to answer questions first.

Interview Question – When they ask everyone to state their past experiences and jobs and why they left that job.   Answer Question

Part-Time Cashier Interview

Part-Time Cashier
Troy, OH

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Kroger in April 2014.

Interview Details – Their on-the-job training is horrible. They don't call you back when they say they will--to tell you that you have the job. I had two days that were four hours each--that is not enough time to learn everything. One of the cashiers they put me with was very rude--I figured she didn't want to be bothered with a new hire.

Process Analyst Interview

Process Analyst
Cincinnati, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Kroger in May 2014.

Interview Details – The phone screening with the hiring manager was very fair. Just be prepared to answer the standard interview Qs (e.g., "Tell me about a problem you encountered at work and how you solved it") and Qs specifically geared towards your resume.

My second interview (N.B. The hiring manager told me that the hiring process for this position involves only these 2 interviews. Meaning, if I would've made it past the second interview, I would've received an offer from HR.) included 2 Kroger people: the hiring manager and his supervisor. It was described in the letter I received from HR as a "90 minute panel-style interview...featur[ing] Behavior-Based Interviewing." Read that very carefully. "Featuring" means that the interview focuses on behavior-based Qs but includes other stuff as well. Here's the breakdown: 60 minutes of behavior Qs. These are very fair. Just review the Kroger Leadership Model diagram/pdf and prepare specific responses for all 8 listed values.

The next 10 minutes cover job-specific Qs: "Rate yourself on a scale of 1 to 10 on the following." This doesn't require any prep: either you've done this stuff or you haven't. Realize that this is a Lean, Six Sigma driven position. If you don't have relevant experience or training (I didn't) then there's not much you can do or say. Also, be honest on your Excel self-assessment. The hiring manager noted that people who really know Excel tend to rate themselves lower because they realize how powerful and wide-ranging a tool it is. (I rated myself a 7-8 and then proceeded to bomb the test.)

The final 20 minutes (for me, it was closer to 16) are split between an Excel assessment and a process/efficiency fact pattern to analyze.

Re the fact pattern, you're asked how to improve the efficiency of a certain aspect of a given store department. After your time is up, you’ll need to explain your recommendations and thought process to the panel and answer their Qs.

Re the Excel assessment: Be ready. You’ll have roughly 7 Qs to answer (including creating a graph). The spreadsheet is about 2000 lines long and the functions required are advanced: think VLOOKUPS, COUNTIFS, SUMIFS, and the like.

Interview Question – Cover the Kroger Leadership Model diagram/pdf and there won't be any surprises. All of the Qs were scripted.   Answer Question

Utility Clerk Interview

Utility Clerk
Kingwood, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Kroger in March 2014.

Interview Details – At this store all you have to do is show up. You will be given a group interview and will get an email within a day that you have been hired.

Interview Question – They made us as a group try and sell one thing in the store as an example.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since this is a union job, the negotiations have already been done.

Department Lead Interview

Department Lead

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Kroger.

Interview Details – Group interview through job fair for new store opening. Recruiters gave a lot of mis-information. My experience was that they hire just about anybody and don't really consider the needs of the position or the store. They are just completing a task.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - they are union

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Mount Vernon, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kroger in March 2010.

Interview Details – Interview consisted of basic questions like are you able to be here on time. It was a pretty easy interview. I got a call a couple of weeks later asking me to come in for a drug screen. It was a urine test. After a couple of days after taking that I was asked to come in for orientation. Overall, process went by pretty quickly

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Kroger?   View Answer

Fuel Center Clerk Interview

Fuel Center Clerk
Atlanta, GA

I applied online - interviewed at Kroger in March 2013.

Interview Details – I had zero experience as a cashier, so was put in the fuel center. Not nearly enough training. You are ON YOUR OWN out there. No back-up, if you need help..it "might" show up...in 5 minutes...or 30 minutes. No back ups trained.

Interview Question – Zero- It was whoever was on top of the pile.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Zero. take it or leave it.

Part-Time Cashier Interview

Part-Time Cashier

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kroger in December 2011.

Interview Details – Kroger had opened a new Kroger so I was in a a group interview, It was at least 10 of us and the manger ask us a different sistuation you would incounter at the strore and we had to come up with the best answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Detroit, MI

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Kroger.

Interview Details – job fair at college, recruiter contacted me a week later to set up an interview. Arrived at the interview and found out it was a panel of various management personnel. very intimidating.

Interview Question – standard   Answer Question