Kumon North America Interview Questions & Reviews

2.3

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tustin, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tustin, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Kumon North America in July 2014.

I submitted my resume online and got a call a day or two later. The interview was very short, have you worked with children, what is the highest level of math that you've taken? The main part of the interview was the test to see how quickly you can grade papers using their answer keys and methods. I was given 2 chances to grade a math booklet, and did a lot better the second time around. I was emailed a job offer the next day.

Interview Questions
    • Hey, are you ready to take a test? Sorry we didn't warn you.   Answer Question
    Minimum wage, $9/hour

Kumon Learning Center Tutor Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Kumon North America in May 2012.

Saw a help wanted sign on the door and called the number on it. I got a call back about a week later requesting an interview. The interview was with the store manager he asked a few basic questions. He showed me how to record the grades and made sure I understood the grading system.

Chief Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Davis, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davis, CA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Kumon North America in February 2013.

Employer was late for interview, but the actual interview took about 15 minutes. Employer had me "test the waters" by "helping out" for the rest of the day (aka unpaid work).

Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Kumon North America.

Brought in my resume, was told to come back the next day at 7:30 for an interview. As I was young at the time, I dressed casually, but presentable. I was asked simple questions about myself and my experience with children. The interview was basically to grasp an idea of who you are as person, if you would work well with children, and if you are apt to learning to become a productive member of the Kumon team. We spoke of expected pay. I was a high school student. Started below minimum wage and was told if I worked well my pay would reflect it. I received many pay raises which soon was capped. No room for growth after that, but more and more responsibilities were expected and asked of me.

Early Learners Primary Instruction Assistant Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kumon North America.

I was referred by a friend and had a short phone interview (asked about my availability, how long I could commit to working) before going into the center and shadowing Primary Instruction Assistants to learn assistant roles and responsibilities. Agreeing to work for at least a year was important because it takes so long to become a proficient assistant.

Math Assistant Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Kumon North America in March 2014.

1 hour interview. Asking history with Kumon, how you found out, your ambitions, and background. What they are looking for. Someone who is dedicated, kind, and warm.

Interview Questions
    • Are you good with handling child? Especially when they get out of hand.   View Answer

Grader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Peoria, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kumon North America.

The hiring process was easy, i went into my college career center website to search for a part-time job. The pay was also hire than the on-campus jobs and interaction with kids is something important to consider.
    During the interview, the questions were based on school experience such as math and english classes. The experience of where i have been through and the organization i am with. The interview was not at all challenging, however at the times there was no test to take on testing you on math and reading. But now there is, so keep in mind that you may take a test to see how strong you are in reading and math skills.

Interview Questions
    • Only one technical question was asked. It was about when i had an experience in which i had to be in a position where a person is stuck on a certain topic (math/english) and what i would try to do help that person in the situation in understanding the topic better. I chose to speak at a time when i had a group of students un able to understand a chapter in one of there math course, and going through the topic with clear and simple instructions.   Answer Question
    Help students learning upper math classes.

Teaching Assistant Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Kumon North America.

Applied through an email and then interviewed in person with the head person at the location and took a math test to evaluate what I knew. Interview felt rushed, but they were very nice.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you apply to Kumon specifically?   View Answer
    No negotiation on starting salary, but they are willing to give a raise after about a year

PI Tutor & Grader for Younger Kids Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Henderson, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Henderson, NV

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kumon North America in October 2013.

Email a professional and simply resume to their email designated location. If there are positions available, they'll respond back and ask for an interview which is an instant hire. If no respond, they aren't hiring and they forward your resume to other Kumon centers near the area.

Interview Questions
    • Dealing with younger kids who are sometime stubborn or too young. Constant work and almost no break because Kumon Centers are only open for a couple of days out of the week, so it's considered part-time no matter what.   Answer Question
    First day of work was overwhelming because there are a lot of kids but you get used to it after a couple of days. There isn't any specific training besides knowing how each lessons work. There are some workers who only mainly do grading and focus on the older kids, and another set of tutors who handles younger kids.

Kumon Learning Center Tutor Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Kumon North America.

Submitted my resume and filled out an application for the Center Director then got invited for an interview. Quick notification of whether or not you're accepted. Had to take Kumon tests but did not impact hiring (I think).

Interview Questions
    • Name a specific experience you think exemplifies skills you'll bring to this position.   Answer Question

Worked for Kumon North America? Contribute to the Community!