Kumon North America

Updated Dec 11, 2014
Updated Dec 11, 2014

2.3

Field Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Kumon North America.

The interview process was quite extensive. It started off with a phone screening with a person from HR, then an in-person interview with a branch manager, then a Skype interview with the district manager, then a Skype interview with the HR manager, and finally an interview with another branch manager. Also included in the hiring process was a center visit and review of that visit.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle an instructor who has been working for Kumon for many years who does not agree with a suggestion that you give him/her?   Answer Question

Receptionist Interview

At a smaller franchise location of Kumon a friend was leaving the job and asked if I was interested. I said yes and gave my resume, then was called by the owner and given a standard phone interview. No curve balls, and was given an offer later that week.

Assistant Instructor Interview

I was referred to the owner/boss by a friend who worked there. That's usually the best way to apply because they can vouch for you. During the interview he asked me what I knew about the franchise. You have to know that it's NOT a tutoring place. It's a place where kids advance in either math or reading through individual practice. I was also asked about my experience in math (since that was the position I was applying for) and my hours of availability. It's helpful to be doing well in school, especially in the relevant classes. Afterward I was contacted and called back to take a placement test. I went back a second time to fill out papers for the application, contract, and tax info when I was accepted to the position. You may need to contact the boss yourself or have the person who referred you bug him/her because sometimes they get busy and forget. Do this especially if you know that they really need the extra help, because this means there's a higher chance you got the job.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were that difficult. It always helps to hear about the interview process and know what questions to expect. So if you know an employee, ask him/her about the questions because chances are they ask the same or similar ones to all applicants. The most common 2 questions that almost every employer asks no matter the job are "what do you know about the place?" and "why do you want to work here?"   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Minimum wage. Some locations pay a dollar or so higher. They usually increase your wage with every year you stay with them, but sometimes you need to ask.

Math Tutor Interview

You can go to any center to take two placement tests (math and reading). You're allowed as much time as you need but you do record the time you take. I got a call about 1-2 weeks later asking if I was still interested in working at Kumon and I accepted.

Grader Interview

I sent in my resume and had an interview in a few days. The process was basically show up, answer some standard interview questions and find out if you had the job within a day or two. This was a pretty standard interview for part time work. It was a very easy process.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation was allowed for hourly work.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Kumon North America in August 2014.

I emailed the center with a copy of my résumé and got a response within 24 hours. The same week, I went in for a face-to-face interview with the center director. No difficult or unexpected questions. The interview was casual and short. Light conversation about learning theory and classroom management. I was asked about my teaching/tutoring experience and how I have handled difficult situations with misbehaving students in previous related jobs.

Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Kumon North America.

Brought in my resume, was told to come back the next day at 7:30 for an interview. As I was young at the time, I dressed casually, but presentable. I was asked simple questions about myself and my experience with children. The interview was basically to grasp an idea of who you are as person, if you would work well with children, and if you are apt to learning to become a productive member of the Kumon team. We spoke of expected pay. I was a high school student. Started below minimum wage and was told if I worked well my pay would reflect it. I received many pay raises which soon was capped. No room for growth after that, but more and more responsibilities were expected and asked of me.

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tustin, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tustin, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Kumon North America in July 2014.

I submitted my resume online and got a call a day or two later. The interview was very short, have you worked with children, what is the highest level of math that you've taken? The main part of the interview was the test to see how quickly you can grade papers using their answer keys and methods. I was given 2 chances to grade a math booklet, and did a lot better the second time around. I was emailed a job offer the next day.

Interview Questions
    • Hey, are you ready to take a test? Sorry we didn't warn you.   Answer Question
    Minimum wage, $9/hour

Early Learners Primary Instruction Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kumon North America.

I was referred by a friend and had a short phone interview (asked about my availability, how long I could commit to working) before going into the center and shadowing Primary Instruction Assistants to learn assistant roles and responsibilities. Agreeing to work for at least a year was important because it takes so long to become a proficient assistant.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kumon North America.

The hiring process was easy, i went into my college career center website to search for a part-time job. The pay was also hire than the on-campus jobs and interaction with kids is something important to consider.
    During the interview, the questions were based on school experience such as math and english classes. The experience of where i have been through and the organization i am with. The interview was not at all challenging, however at the times there was no test to take on testing you on math and reading. But now there is, so keep in mind that you may take a test to see how strong you are in reading and math skills.

Interview Questions
    • Only one technical question was asked. It was about when i had an experience in which i had to be in a position where a person is stuck on a certain topic (math/english) and what i would try to do help that person in the situation in understanding the topic better. I chose to speak at a time when i had a group of students un able to understand a chapter in one of there math course, and going through the topic with clear and simple instructions.   Answer Question
    Help students learning upper math classes.