Kumon North America Interview Questions

Updated Mar 29, 2015

2.2

Homework Corrector/Instructor Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Kumon North America (New York, NY).

Interview

I called to ask about positions available and submitted my resume in person. After a few weeks, I got an e-mail asking to go in for an interview. One on one with the main instructor, asking typical questions about past experience, the company, availability, etc. Training took place after the interview to introduce the Kumon system.

Interview Questions

• Past experience with education, What do you know about Kumon   Answer Question

Teaching Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Kumon North America.

Interview

was not good at all. They didn't even ask me if i knew critical reading or comprehensive math. Even though i was well qualified for the position it still struck me as something that should be considered. Also they didn't ask me if I was ever teaching anyone ever. A place like this should at least ask that.

Interview Questions

• Are you still in high school?   1 Answer

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Kumon North America.

Interview

I called and asked if they were hiring, so I went the next day and she briefly interviewed me. After that I was given a math test and then she told me that she would call.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Kumon North America.

Interview

I was told about the job from a friend at school. The Kumon center here does not advertise when they have open jobs, they like their employees to ask around for people who are looking for jobs. I called the boss of the place and told her I was interested in the job, we set up an observation and interview time. Before your interview, you had to go into the classroom and just observe the setting and then the next day you have your interview.On the day of the observation, you also had to fill out an application. Kumon was closed the day of my interview so it was just me and the boss. She was very nice and just gave me a run down of the job description and asked me simple questions about myself. She then gave me a tour of the center. Whole process took about an hour. ALSO: About the salary, at MOST Kumon Learning Centers you start off at $8.25 and then every 3 months you get a raise of 25 cents. (was told 50 cents when I applied but that wasn't true)

Interview Questions

• Have you had any previous job experience?   1 Answer
    • Are you good with kids?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer
    • How much do you want to be payed?   1 Answer

Kumon Learning Center Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Kumon North America (Jacksonville, FL) in March 2015.

Interview

Asked about background and why I wanted to work at Kumon. Spent a majority of the interview talking about what the job would be like, and how the Kumon Process works. Asked me what I wanted to do in the future and asked how being a Kumon Tutor would be beneficial to that process.

Field Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Kumon North America.

Interview

The interview process was quite extensive. It started off with a phone screening with a person from HR, then an in-person interview with a branch manager, then a Skype interview with the district manager, then a Skype interview with the HR manager, and finally an interview with another branch manager. Also included in the hiring process was a center visit and review of that visit.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle an instructor who has been working for Kumon for many years who does not agree with a suggestion that you give him/her?   Answer Question

Receptionist Interview

Interview

At a smaller franchise location of Kumon a friend was leaving the job and asked if I was interested. I said yes and gave my resume, then was called by the owner and given a standard phone interview. No curve balls, and was given an offer later that week.

Assistant Instructor Interview

Interview

I was referred to the owner/boss by a friend who worked there. That's usually the best way to apply because they can vouch for you. During the interview he asked me what I knew about the franchise. You have to know that it's NOT a tutoring place. It's a place where kids advance in either math or reading through individual practice. I was also asked about my experience in math (since that was the position I was applying for) and my hours of availability. It's helpful to be doing well in school, especially in the relevant classes. Afterward I was contacted and called back to take a placement test. I went back a second time to fill out papers for the application, contract, and tax info when I was accepted to the position. You may need to contact the boss yourself or have the person who referred you bug him/her because sometimes they get busy and forget. Do this especially if you know that they really need the extra help, because this means there's a higher chance you got the job.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were that difficult. It always helps to hear about the interview process and know what questions to expect. So if you know an employee, ask him/her about the questions because chances are they ask the same or similar ones to all applicants. The most common 2 questions that almost every employer asks no matter the job are "what do you know about the place?" and "why do you want to work here?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Minimum wage. Some locations pay a dollar or so higher. They usually increase your wage with every year you stay with them, but sometimes you need to ask.

Math Tutor Interview

Interview

You can go to any center to take two placement tests (math and reading). You're allowed as much time as you need but you do record the time you take. I got a call about 1-2 weeks later asking if I was still interested in working at Kumon and I accepted.

Grader Interview

Interview

I sent in my resume and had an interview in a few days. The process was basically show up, answer some standard interview questions and find out if you had the job within a day or two. This was a pretty standard interview for part time work. It was a very easy process.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Kumon?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation was allowed for hourly work.