Kumon North America

Relevance Date Difficulty

Tutor Interview

Tutor
Brooklyn, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Kumon North America.

Interview Details – Brought in my resume, was told to come back the next day at 7:30 for an interview. As I was young at the time, I dressed casually, but presentable. I was asked simple questions about myself and my experience with children. The interview was basically to grasp an idea of who you are as person, if you would work well with children, and if you are apt to learning to become a productive member of the Kumon team. We spoke of expected pay. I was a high school student. Started below minimum wage and was told if I worked well my pay would reflect it. I received many pay raises which soon was capped. No room for growth after that, but more and more responsibilities were expected and asked of me.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions asked.   Answer Question

Early Learners Primary Instruction Assistant Interview

Early Learners Primary Instruction Assistant

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kumon North America.

Interview Details – I was referred by a friend and had a short phone interview (asked about my availability, how long I could commit to working) before going into the center and shadowing Primary Instruction Assistants to learn assistant roles and responsibilities. Agreeing to work for at least a year was important because it takes so long to become a proficient assistant.

Interview Question – How long do you expect to work here?   View Answer

Math Assistant Interview

Math Assistant

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Kumon North America in March 2014.

Interview Details – 1 hour interview. Asking history with Kumon, how you found out, your ambitions, and background. What they are looking for. Someone who is dedicated, kind, and warm.

Interview Question – Are you good with handling child? Especially when they get out of hand.   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Grader Interview

Grader
Peoria, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kumon North America.

Interview Details – The hiring process was easy, i went into my college career center website to search for a part-time job. The pay was also hire than the on-campus jobs and interaction with kids is something important to consider.
During the interview, the questions were based on school experience such as math and english classes. The experience of where i have been through and the organization i am with. The interview was not at all challenging, however at the times there was no test to take on testing you on math and reading. But now there is, so keep in mind that you may take a test to see how strong you are in reading and math skills.

Interview Question – Only one technical question was asked. It was about when i had an experience in which i had to be in a position where a person is stuck on a certain topic (math/english) and what i would try to do help that person in the situation in understanding the topic better. I chose to speak at a time when i had a group of students un able to understand a chapter in one of there math course, and going through the topic with clear and simple instructions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Help students learning upper math classes.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Teaching Assistant

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Kumon North America.

Interview Details – Applied through an email and then interviewed in person with the head person at the location and took a math test to evaluate what I knew. Interview felt rushed, but they were very nice.

Interview Question – Why did you apply to Kumon specifically?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation on starting salary, but they are willing to give a raise after about a year

PI Tutor & Grader for Younger Kids Interview

PI Tutor & Grader for Younger Kids
Henderson, NV

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kumon North America in October 2013.

Interview Details – Email a professional and simply resume to their email designated location. If there are positions available, they'll respond back and ask for an interview which is an instant hire. If no respond, they aren't hiring and they forward your resume to other Kumon centers near the area.

Interview Question – Dealing with younger kids who are sometime stubborn or too young. Constant work and almost no break because Kumon Centers are only open for a couple of days out of the week, so it's considered part-time no matter what.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – First day of work was overwhelming because there are a lot of kids but you get used to it after a couple of days. There isn't any specific training besides knowing how each lessons work. There are some workers who only mainly do grading and focus on the older kids, and another set of tutors who handles younger kids.

Kumon Learning Center Tutor Interview

Kumon Learning Center Tutor

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Kumon North America.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume and filled out an application for the Center Director then got invited for an interview. Quick notification of whether or not you're accepted. Had to take Kumon tests but did not impact hiring (I think).

Interview Question – Name a specific experience you think exemplifies skills you'll bring to this position.   Answer Question

Grader Interview

Grader

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Kumon North America in October 2013.

Interview Details – Very little interviewing, was hired immediately, sent into a full shift without warning, though.

Interview Question – I wasn't asked many in-depth questions. Most of it was about how often I could work and for what hours. I was also asked a lot about my school and outside activities, I guess to make sure I wouldn't be consistently missing work.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate my hours, but not my pay. I was told that they could only afford to pay me minimum wage.

Junior Kumon Assistant Interview

Junior Kumon Assistant

Interview Details – I acquired an interview by going to the learning center in person and asked about any available job positions. We scheduled for an interview the next week later.

The interview process was fairly easy. The questions that were asked, from what I recall, were:

1. Do you enjoy working with kids?
2. Are you proficient in math? What math classes have you taken and what were your grades?
3. Are you proficient in writing? What english classes have you taken and what were your grades?

Interview Question – What were your grades in your math and english classes?   Answer Question

Math Tutor Interview

Math Tutor

Interviewed at Kumon North America

Interview Details – An understanding of math fundamentals is necessary, as well as experience and proficiency in various levels of elementary, middle, and high school math courses.

Interview Question – How long will you stay at this company?   Answer Question

Worked for Kumon North America? Contribute to the Community!