Kurt Salmon

Updated Nov 12, 2014
Updated Nov 12, 2014

3.6

Consultant Interview

Overall the interview process was good however after completing what I believed was a stellar final round I was not extended an offer which makes absolutely no sense. They claim to look for smart driven people but at the end of the day are extremely selective in who they hire and bias tends to be towards candidates from particular schools rather than those who can actually perform the job.

Interview Questions
  • They ask a lot of formulary questions up front of which can be gained from the application.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Kurt Salmon

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Kurt Salmon.

There will be three round interviews. The first two rounds will be conducted over the phone and the last one will be at Atlanta branch. First round interview only consists of behavioral questions. The second round will be case interviews. I am not sure about the last one because I didn't get this far

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Kurt Salmon.

4 rounds of interviews -- a test, hr interview, case interview, then in-office interview with various positions (includes a case interview with presentation) - i went through campus recruiting. can differ.

Interview Questions
    • We don't ask weird, unexpected questions. It isn't about fooling you. It is about a cultural fit. We like smart, quirky people. Funny too.   Answer Question
    NA

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Kurt Salmon.

New hire interviews had 2 rounds. Interviewed with 2 managers in the first round, and around 6 or so people in the final round. About 4 of the 6 interviews in the final round were case interviews. Cases heavily stressed analytical skills, so were a bit biased toward market sizing type cases, instead of other more strategic cases.

Interview Questions
    • A company has sales of 10 in Year 1 and 19 in Year 6. What is their average sales growth rate?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate the offer.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Kurt Salmon in February 2014.

Interviewed by HR. She put me on speakerphone and then complained she couldnt hear me well. Interview was straightforward with questions around experience etc

Interview Questions
    • Why are you looking to leave your company after 1 year of working there.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Kurt Salmon.

They do a lot of recruiting events at select universities (Emory, GT, UVA) which are crucial in terms of getting people to remember you and convince them they want to work with you. Before you begin interview process you have to get through applications. Then you have to take the Wonderlic test and score well before you can advance to interviews (a lot of cuts are made based on this round). First round interview is with HR rep and very laid back (behavioral questions mostly). Second round is two back-to-back case interviews that are each about 15-20 minutes long. Build a rapport with the interviewer and have a conversation, not a monologue. Third and final round is a day-long interview process. There are four rotations - a lunch/breakfast with consultant, two behavioral interviews with upper management, and a case interview with a presentation aspect. I suspect that the latter is partly a stress interview to see if you buckle under pressure. Stay calm and try to remain positive even if the interviewer is a stone wall.

Interview Questions
    • Case interviews are just rough no matter what, especially with the presentation aspect. My advice is to make a list of a lot of talking points when you have the time and be prepared to elaborate on every point because they give you 15 minutes for a presentation you have like 10 minutes to prepare for. Read a lot of Case In Point before the interview and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.   Answer Question

Behavioral Round 1 and Round 2; Case Interview - typical

Interview Questions
    • one page summary of case analysis; typical brain teaser question   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Kurt Salmon in September 2012.

Was invited to lunch and a couple socials with KSA. Was invited to take their tests and passed those to make it to first round interview. They called the morning of to change it to a phone interview. Was rejected after phone interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Kurt Salmon.

Heavy on fit interviews, which is why the firm produces such a great culture and has so many life-long (or close enough in the consulting world) employees. Only a few case interviews, and they're standard. Expect to present your case in person, but to have an easier time presenting over the phone. They want people they want to work with.

Interview Questions
    • Typical questions about failure are always hard to answer and spin, and you'll get those. Questions about how well you work under a heavy workload - come off as capable without overbearing.   Answer Question
    Not a lot of room for negotiation on anything but the signing bonus, which is generous and matches the high end of Bain-BcG-McKiney-Deloitte-Accenture.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Kurt Salmon in February 2012.

Initial HR screen by phone- behavioral type questions. Next step- phone interview with senior consultant (he was selling himself more than interviewing). Second round invitation to office (Wonderlic IQ test- 12 minutes, 50 questions/ Quantitative Thinking Test (38 questions, 55 minutes- looking at graphs/charts and answering questions), case interview). Critical to pass both tests and case interview.