Kurt Salmon

Average Difficulty
18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Kurt Salmon.

Interview Details – New hire interviews had 2 rounds. Interviewed with 2 managers in the first round, and around 6 or so people in the final round. About 4 of the 6 interviews in the final round were case interviews. Cases heavily stressed analytical skills, so were a bit biased toward market sizing type cases, instead of other more strategic cases.

Interview Question – A company has sales of 10 in Year 1 and 19 in Year 6. What is their average sales growth rate?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate the offer.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Kurt Salmon in February 2014.

Interview Details – Interviewed by HR. She put me on speakerphone and then complained she couldnt hear me well. Interview was straightforward with questions around experience etc

Interview Question – Why are you looking to leave your company after 1 year of working there.   View Answer

Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Kurt Salmon.

Interview Details – They do a lot of recruiting events at select universities (Emory, GT, UVA) which are crucial in terms of getting people to remember you and convince them they want to work with you. Before you begin interview process you have to get through applications. Then you have to take the Wonderlic test and score well before you can advance to interviews (a lot of cuts are made based on this round). First round interview is with HR rep and very laid back (behavioral questions mostly). Second round is two back-to-back case interviews that are each about 15-20 minutes long. Build a rapport with the interviewer and have a conversation, not a monologue. Third and final round is a day-long interview process. There are four rotations - a lunch/breakfast with consultant, two behavioral interviews with upper management, and a case interview with a presentation aspect. I suspect that the latter is partly a stress interview to see if you buckle under pressure. Stay calm and try to remain positive even if the interviewer is a stone wall.

Interview Question – Case interviews are just rough no matter what, especially with the presentation aspect. My advice is to make a list of a lot of talking points when you have the time and be prepared to elaborate on every point because they give you 15 minutes for a presentation you have like 10 minutes to prepare for. Read a lot of Case In Point before the interview and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interviewed at Kurt Salmon

Interview Details – Behavioral Round 1 and Round 2; Case Interview - typical

Interview Question – one page summary of case analysis; typical brain teaser question   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Kurt Salmon in September 2012.

Interview Details – Was invited to lunch and a couple socials with KSA. Was invited to take their tests and passed those to make it to first round interview. They called the morning of to change it to a phone interview. Was rejected after phone interview.

Interview Question – Asked me why my GPA wasn't higher than it was.   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Kurt Salmon.

Interview Details – Heavy on fit interviews, which is why the firm produces such a great culture and has so many life-long (or close enough in the consulting world) employees. Only a few case interviews, and they're standard. Expect to present your case in person, but to have an easier time presenting over the phone. They want people they want to work with.

Interview Question – Typical questions about failure are always hard to answer and spin, and you'll get those. Questions about how well you work under a heavy workload - come off as capable without overbearing.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not a lot of room for negotiation on anything but the signing bonus, which is generous and matches the high end of Bain-BcG-McKiney-Deloitte-Accenture.

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Kurt Salmon in August 2010.

Interview Details – One case. Aptitude test fairly simple. The rest is all fit.

Interview Questions

Very Difficult Interview

New York, NY

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Kurt Salmon in February 2012.

Interview Details – Initial HR screen by phone- behavioral type questions. Next step- phone interview with senior consultant (he was selling himself more than interviewing). Second round invitation to office (Wonderlic IQ test- 12 minutes, 50 questions/ Quantitative Thinking Test (38 questions, 55 minutes- looking at graphs/charts and answering questions), case interview). Critical to pass both tests and case interview.

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Kurt Salmon in July 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process for consultants was extremely efficient. KS often hires direct out of undergrad, but the process is pretty similar for experienced hires and undergrads. The partners and senior consultants who interviewed me in the New York office were selling themselves just as much as I was selling myself. They made me feel wanted. The process consisted of three rounds. First was the personality screen on the phone by HR. Next, I had an initial case interview in the New York office, which served as a screen, which I passed. The next step was to pass two diff skills/IQ tests online. It was very ambiguous, impossible to prep for, but somehow I passed (even though I thought I failed). The final round consisted of four interviews with partners. The entire process took less than two months. At no time did I feel "left out to dry" when waiting to hear back. KS was great about their decision turnaround time and moving candidates along through the process. I interviewed at several other top consulting firms (and received offers from them), and KS was by far the best about making you feel wanted.

Interview Questions

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Kurt Salmon in December 2010.

Interview Details – Very long interview process. Had a phone interview first, then an in-person, then they flew me to New York for a final round of interviews. Fairly straight forward cases - nothing that you need to prepare for - although one has a presentation component, so be mentally prepared. Made it to the final interview with the Managing Director, and they declined to make an offer. They did pay for the trip to New York + expenses though. Everyone was very friendly along the way and I was disappointed not to get an offer.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at KSA?   View Answer

Worked for Kurt Salmon? Contribute to the Community!