Kurt Salmon

Updated Nov 22, 2014
Updated Nov 22, 2014

3.5

Consultant Interview

Overall the interview process was good however after completing what I believed was a stellar final round I was not extended an offer which makes absolutely no sense. They claim to look for smart driven people but at the end of the day are extremely selective in who they hire and bias tends to be towards candidates from particular schools rather than those who can actually perform the job.

Interview Questions
    • They ask a lot of formulary questions up front of which can be gained from the application.   Answer Question

Analyst/Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Kurt Salmon.

Applied through campus. 1st round behavioral with HR. 2nd round 2 case studies at Atlanta office. 3rd round super day. Cases were pretty standard - nothing that was meant to trick or derail you.

People were extraordinarily nice and friendly, one of the best interview experiences I've had despite not getting an offer.

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Kurt Salmon.

There will be three round interviews. The first two rounds will be conducted over the phone and the last one will be at Atlanta branch. First round interview only consists of behavioral questions. The second round will be case interviews. I am not sure about the last one because I didn't get this far

Retail Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Kurt Salmon in October 2014.

Applied through OCR process. Following the resume screening, there is a (rather difficult due to time constraint) online test process, consisting of three parts, which combs out many applicants. Can't really prepare, so just make sure you're taking the test in quiet, isolated place.

There was then a first round interview with a HR representative. Formal but more conversational than other consulting firms; it felt very genuine and definitely was partly a fit test as well. Typical behavioral questions: tell me about a time..., why Kurt Salmon, tell me about yourself, etc.

After the first round, there was a reception for those who had passed to the second rounds. It was a great way to casually interact with KS representatives and get to know the firm's people and culture. The following day, had two back-to-back 45 minute case interviews. Both dealt with data (graphs, charts) as well as higher-level strategic brainstorming.

The final round was in the NYC office. Consisted of 1 HR interview, 2 behavioral/technical, and 1 case with a 10 minute presentation to multiple consultants. Case interview had more data than the previous case interviews. Structure is very important.

Entire interview process was stellar. Everyone was amazingly kind, professional, and had/expressed their own distinct personalities - something that stood out amongst other firms that I was interviewing with. Culture of KS is the one thing that really won me over.

Interview Questions
    • Which of these graphs would you focus on? Which are less relevant and why?
      Presentation in front of consultants with minimal time

Answer Question
    Very generous offer package; better than all other offers I'd received. Felt no need to negotiate.

Chief Financial Officer Advisory Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Kurt Salmon in August 2014.

The process started with a phone interview with a senior consultant covering a review of the CV, skills and motivational stuff. An HR employee then contacted me for more administrative matters, then I had 2 face to face interviews with a senior consultant of the team of the vacant position and with a director. The interview with the senior consultant comprised 2 case studies and questions about innovation and politics.

Interview Questions
    • Estimate the sales and the personnel required for a fast food.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Kurt Salmon.

4 rounds of interviews -- a test, hr interview, case interview, then in-office interview with various positions (includes a case interview with presentation) - i went through campus recruiting. can differ.

Interview Questions
    • We don't ask weird, unexpected questions. It isn't about fooling you. It is about a cultural fit. We like smart, quirky people. Funny too.   Answer Question
    NA

Consultant Interview

New hire interviews had 2 rounds. Interviewed with 2 managers in the first round, and around 6 or so people in the final round. About 4 of the 6 interviews in the final round were case interviews. Cases heavily stressed analytical skills, so were a bit biased toward market sizing type cases, instead of other more strategic cases.

Interview Questions
    • A company has sales of 10 in Year 1 and 19 in Year 6. What is their average sales growth rate?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Kurt Salmon in February 2014.

Interviewed by HR. She put me on speakerphone and then complained she couldnt hear me well. Interview was straightforward with questions around experience etc

Interview Questions
    • Why are you looking to leave your company after 1 year of working there.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Kurt Salmon.

They do a lot of recruiting events at select universities (Emory, GT, UVA) which are crucial in terms of getting people to remember you and convince them they want to work with you. Before you begin interview process you have to get through applications. Then you have to take the Wonderlic test and score well before you can advance to interviews (a lot of cuts are made based on this round). First round interview is with HR rep and very laid back (behavioral questions mostly). Second round is two back-to-back case interviews that are each about 15-20 minutes long. Build a rapport with the interviewer and have a conversation, not a monologue. Third and final round is a day-long interview process. There are four rotations - a lunch/breakfast with consultant, two behavioral interviews with upper management, and a case interview with a presentation aspect. I suspect that the latter is partly a stress interview to see if you buckle under pressure. Stay calm and try to remain positive even if the interviewer is a stone wall.

Interview Questions
    • Case interviews are just rough no matter what, especially with the presentation aspect. My advice is to make a list of a lot of talking points when you have the time and be prepared to elaborate on every point because they give you 15 minutes for a presentation you have like 10 minutes to prepare for. Read a lot of Case In Point before the interview and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.   Answer Question

Behavioral Round 1 and Round 2; Case Interview - typical

Interview Questions
    • one page summary of case analysis; typical brain teaser question   Answer Question