L-3 Communications Interview Questions

2.7

Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university - interviewed at L-3 Communications.

I applied for positions online and also spoke with several recruiters at a college career fair. A recruiter emailed me with an opportunity and asked if I was interested. I was invited for an interview the following week. For the interview I was asked to prepare a 20-30 minute presentation on a technical subject of my choice.

The interview consisted of a series of meetings with different members of the group in which I would be working. Many questions were technical.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected: In my last meeting with the group manger, he asked, "What was the hardest question you've been asked [in the interviews today]?"   View Answer

Procurement Analyst for A Division of L-3 Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at L-3 Communications.

My resume had been passed along by a colleague. The next day, a key staffer resigned. I got a call and met with immediate supervisor and his supervisor for about 2 hours. Need was urgent, I was qualified, process moved along quickly.

Interview Questions
    • I don't recall specific questions. It was a comfortable discussion about their needs and my skill sets.   Answer Question
    My requirements were in line with their budgets, etc. It went quickly (2 phone calls I think)

Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at L-3 Communications.

Employee requisitions do not always do a good job of defining what is being looked for in a candidate because most of the page is L3 "waving their flag" rather than describing the job requirements.
    It can take weeks to review candidates, HR does not do a great job down selecting and aligning to the job need. Expect to have a phone interview with the hiring manager. If that goes well, an on site interview is likely with multiple mangers, and would be co-workers + a facility tour. Do some homework - know what they make, look up the person on LinkedIn, be sure you ask about expectations and the working environment.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions are generally easy to answer. Discuss your experiences or past work.   Answer Question
    In order to know what to ask for you need to know what the job expectations are. If they ask you up front I recommend giving them a salary range rather than a specific number. Salaries are aligned with job grade - it is better to be in the lower part of a job grade salary range than near the top so you don't get maxed out.

IT Help Desk Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fort Detrick, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Detrick, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at L-3 Communications in August 2014.

Applied for on-line job posting, was contacted by L-3 HR rep, next contact was by phone with an IT screener, then a week or so later an interview was arranged at the job site. A panel interview about 1.5 hours, was a neutral to positive experience, very good conversation occurred.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you used information only you had access to, to form a consensus and lead an effort for change using that information. (Or something like that)   Answer Question
    No, though a negotiation was attempted, L-3 would not compromise.

Talented Employee Interview

Upper management was more concerned about their bonuses then their employees. Employees were laid-off if you had more than 10 years of seniority and based on their race and sex. Some employees with over 25 years of service were laid-off prior to the age of 55 so the company would pay little or no retirement including health benefits. Upper management was more concerned with hopping in the sack to climb the corporate ladder then evaluating their employees. You would have a better chance working for Donald Trump.

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at L-3 Communications.

I believe they received my resume through a resume collection at school. I was asked to set up a phone interview, I accepted and it took approximately 1 hour. A few weeks later I received an email saying that I will be hearing from HR regarding an offer for a summer internship soon. I received a call with an offer a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly technical questions and very few questions about past experience.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, offer was very good so I accepted it.

Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at L-3 Communications in July 2014.

Applied online and the process took about a month. The interview consisted of several one on one and a panel with two interviewers. With all interviews they went over my resume and asked a few personality questions. I was told what they were expecting with this position. A few weeks later, I was given a phone call letting me know that they were not interested.

Structural Engineer I Interview

Was interviewed by one branch for a thermal/heat transfer analysis job first by phone. Interviewer liked me but said I would be much stronger as a structural analysis engineer according to the interview and my background. He said that he would contact some people and get me another interview for a structural position. Two days later I get a call for an on site interview at a sister location about 2 hours away. The interview process consisted of 5 individual interviews with 5 different engineers including the manager. They took me around to see some of the planes and hangars as well as the offices of these engineers. I think the whole interview was mainly technical. Just a bunch of simple static analysis questions and "what would you do if you had this load here and here" questions.

Interview Questions
    • Hardest one was when one engineer gave me a problem on a white board and asked for shear and moment diagrams, stress, and mohr's circle.   View Answer

Production Supervisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 months - interviewed at L-3 Communications.

round table Question and answer. Multiple levels of management involved shooting questions rapidly at you on various topics and scenarios. The questions were designed to ask the same thing from different angles of attack.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at L-3 Communications.

Pretty easy interview. They were getting more of a feel for who I was as a person rather than technical experience. I offered to show them past performance reviews, but they never looked at them. Hired on the spot and started working at the customer site the next week.

Worked for L-3 Communications? Contribute to the Community!