L-3 Communications

2.7

Electronics Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at L-3 Communications in February 2015.

Very relaxed and informative. I came in and 3 men asked me questions and supplied me with extensive information on what the position entailed. I sat at a round table with 2 interviewers and a man behind a desk. I don't want to use names. I waited awhile and was eventually called back for a second interview. In this instance the lab manager was present. This was my first interview since serving 20 years in the Navy. It was nice that it was such a relaxed atmosphere. I do not know yet if I will be offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about my experience as a technician. I was asked why I was not applying for a supervisory position with al of my years of experience. For a large part of the interview the 3 gentlemen explained to me what their process was. It was explained to me that there would be three separate areas I would work in, depending on the priority of the job.   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Technician Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at L-3 Communications in January 2011.

Was Good and thorough, comfortable atmosphere, questions to make you think about, overall interesting interview. Why you want to work for the company, what you know about the company, your experience, your availability for working hours, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Normal questions, why you want to work there, what can you bring to company, etc.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waco, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waco, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at L-3 Communications in January 2012.

The chronological resume is a commonly used format for undergraduate students. The experience section of a
    chronological resume includes your positions, listed in reverse chronological order (beginning with your most
    recent position and working backwards). Essential data includes: name of organization, location, your title, and
    dates of employment/involvement. This is followed by several bullets, describing your skills and achievements.

Aerospace Engineering Co Op Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at L-3 Communications.

We talked about several different positions in the plane design and analysis areas. Look up some of their planes like the MC-12W or the RC-135; it gives you a good talking point to start at. Talk with them like you are talking with a friend; it is very relaxed and causal.

Interview Questions
    • Do you see yourself working in plane design or structural analysis?   Answer Question

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at L-3 Communications in October 2014.

Interviewed for Director role in Tulsa OK. Moved fairly quickly after application through L-3 careers. Phone screen with HR, group phone interview with manager, HR, and one who would be a direct report. F2F interview about a week later in Tulsa. Second F2F interview with 2d level manager. No questions that were not straightforward and related directly to the role.

Told offer would be extended as req 'already approved,' only had to 'confirm salary' to senior executives. Time goes on, someone 'sick,' someone 'on travel.' Finally told that offer would not be extended. Though both hiring manager and 2d level manager wanted to hire, they were overruled by 3rd level manager who I never met either in person or on the phone. He was unresponsive to my phone calls or personal letter.

Bottom line: not to be trusted - don't consider it done until the day you start.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a set of product test requirements imposed on company as a subcontractor by an aircraft prime that was not related to an aircraft product.   View Answer

Proposal Pricing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at L-3 Communications in December 2014.

I applied for the job at the beginning of December and received a call roughly 2 weeks later for an interview. They set up the interview for the following week. The email I received indicated I would be interviewing first and then going to HR for "a quick follow-up to the interview." When the recruiter called me to confirm, he stated the interview would be approximately 30 minutes.

When I arrived for the interview, which was scheduled for 9am, I ended up waiting for a bit before the person came down to get me (at about 915am). However, while I waited, many people from the company spoke with me, which made me feel very welcomed at the company. When we entered the office for the interview, I found out I would be interviewing with two people-- the Director of Finance as well as the Proposal Pricing Manager. I tried to set the tone of the interview right away, which worked. I am a very laid back and enjoy making people laugh-- I worked my magic on the two interviewers and that helped break the ice. They were very receptive to my answers and asked a lot of good, atypical interview questions.

At the hour mark of the interview, the Director stated they had already taken an hour of my time and began to wrap up the interview. I quickly responded that I had all the time in the world and if they had more questions, I'd be more than happy to stay and answer them. With that, they continued to ask questions and the interview ended up lasting just over two hours. They asked if I had any questions for them and were very open and honest in their answers. Afterwards, I headed over the HR department and spoke with one of their reps regarding L-3 benefits, leave (vacation, sick time, etc.) and pay. When I walked into her office at 1130am, she confirmed I was the 9am interview and when I told her I was, she indicated a two hour interview was a very good sign. I left feeling very confident that not only had I nailed the interview but that I would get an offer.

Because I interviewed right before the Christmas break, it took a little longer to get a response regarding the job. When I did receive correspondence via email, to my surprise, they did not extend an offer and went with another candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Let's say you are in charge of stocking a grocery store candy aisle, to include the layout of where the candy will go. You have cinnamon bears and gummy bears. Would you display these two candies in the same section? Why or why not?   View Answer
    • This position requires a lot of interaction with other departments. In a sense, you are managing a bid proposal without managing the other people from other departments who are working on the bid with you. How do you go about leading the bid proposal process without actually managing the people?   Answer Question

Principal Engineer Interview

I was contacted by HR. After the initial phone screen process, I was brought in twice for on-site interviews. The interviews were mix of technical and non-technical nature. The technical interviews had me answer questions about object oriented design and development in C++ and about conditional probability and Bayesian inference. During non-technical interviews, most questions were about my previous experience and how I would fit in their team.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Greenville, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Greenville, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at L-3 Communications in August 2014.

I submitted my resume online and was contacted the same day, answering a few short questions via telephone. Two months passed before I was contacted again, being told that L3 would like to fly me in for an onsite interview. A date was selected for the following week.
    There were a couple 1-on-1 interviews and also a 5 person panel interview. The process took about 4 hours.
    Given the minimal nature of the telephone interview, I felt somewhat unprepared - not certain what they were looking for. I fielded many questions about my ability to transition from the small company environment where I had been working to a prime contractor environment. Such questions led me to suspect that I wasn't quite what they wanted, and I must have been right since I did not receive any offer.

Interview Questions
    • How many marbles would it take to fill a school bus?   View Answer

Technical Program Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at L-3 Communications.

Was referred by another employee who is an acquaintance. Within two days of filling out the online resume at their website was in front of a board. Each had a series of questions regarding my experience and how they relate to the position. About 90 minutes all said and done.

Software Engineer Interview

The whole process took about two weeks. HR called me to get my info for a quick background check. they called me back within two days to set up face-to-face interview. I met with a manager and a team lead. some questions about my social background and not much technical ones. the whole process was focus on my background rather than technical questions as they trusted everything on my resume.