L-3 Communications Interview Questions

2.7

Proposal Pricing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at L-3 Communications in December 2014.

I applied for the job at the beginning of December and received a call roughly 2 weeks later for an interview. They set up the interview for the following week. The email I received indicated I would be interviewing first and then going to HR for "a quick follow-up to the interview." When the recruiter called me to confirm, he stated the interview would be approximately 30 minutes.

When I arrived for the interview, which was scheduled for 9am, I ended up waiting for a bit before the person came down to get me (at about 915am). However, while I waited, many people from the company spoke with me, which made me feel very welcomed at the company. When we entered the office for the interview, I found out I would be interviewing with two people-- the Director of Finance as well as the Proposal Pricing Manager. I tried to set the tone of the interview right away, which worked. I am a very laid back and enjoy making people laugh-- I worked my magic on the two interviewers and that helped break the ice. They were very receptive to my answers and asked a lot of good, atypical interview questions.

At the hour mark of the interview, the Director stated they had already taken an hour of my time and began to wrap up the interview. I quickly responded that I had all the time in the world and if they had more questions, I'd be more than happy to stay and answer them. With that, they continued to ask questions and the interview ended up lasting just over two hours. They asked if I had any questions for them and were very open and honest in their answers. Afterwards, I headed over the HR department and spoke with one of their reps regarding L-3 benefits, leave (vacation, sick time, etc.) and pay. When I walked into her office at 1130am, she confirmed I was the 9am interview and when I told her I was, she indicated a two hour interview was a very good sign. I left feeling very confident that not only had I nailed the interview but that I would get an offer.

Because I interviewed right before the Christmas break, it took a little longer to get a response regarding the job. When I did receive correspondence via email, to my surprise, they did not extend an offer and went with another candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Let's say you are in charge of stocking a grocery store candy aisle, to include the layout of where the candy will go. You have cinnamon bears and gummy bears. Would you display these two candies in the same section? Why or why not?   View Answer
    • This position requires a lot of interaction with other departments. In a sense, you are managing a bid proposal without managing the other people from other departments who are working on the bid with you. How do you go about leading the bid proposal process without actually managing the people?   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warner Robins, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warner Robins, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at L-3 Communications.

Interviewed in a group setting with ten other applicants in front of the director of engineering. Afterwards, individually rotated around different departments heads. Then met back up in the conference room for additional questions. One week later received job offer via phone call.

Sams E Clerk Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at L-3 Communications.

I was leaving the army, and went to talk to the hiring official about a position, I showed my resume, and answer a couple of Sams e questions, I was hired on the spot

Interview Questions
    • How do you open and close faults in the Sams E system.can you modify the document control register.   Answer Question
    I had to negotiate the distance to work and got a shuttle everyday to work.

Defense Ready Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at L-3 Communications in November 2014.

Was a contract through Fulcrum, which is headquartered in VA,...two phone interviews with HR at Fulcrum, then Manager, which was in FL with Fulcrum, then a Face-to-Face with L3 Communications (actual contractor) for DOD. The main interviewer was very helpful since this was my first interview since I got out the Army. Seems like it went well but didn't get an offer felt discouraged because I had 10 years HR experience and had just finished my Bachelor Degree in HRM but moving on to more opportunities in the area.

Sustainment Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at L-3 Communications.

Spoke with them at a Career Fair at my school. Applied for interview through school's job board website. Within 2 weeks of the application period being closed I received an e-mail saying I had been selected for an interview on campus. Went to interview and then 2 weeks later was called and e-mailed saying they wanted to bring me down to Gainesville for an on-site interview.

The company places you in a hotel nearby and requires that you be at the site around 8:00 in the morning. You first speak with someone from HR discussing all of the benefits the company would offer and then they take you to who would be your boss if you started working there. You speak with that person and several other positions throughout the day. Each person walks you through what they do for the company. They each have a copy of your resume and ask you questions about classes and experience that you may have. Interviews are relatively informal but still very professional and can take anywhere from 15 minutes to 45 minutes and you may be speaking with 1 or 2 people at a time.

You spend practically the entire work day there speaking with and walking around the hangars and offices and even eat lunch with a member of the team you would be working with. At the end of the day, you speak with HR again regarding how the day went and wanting to know if you have any other offers or competition. They take about 1-2 weeks after you interview to respond with an offer or rejection e-mail. The e-mail was sort of disappointing because the one I received was a template of a rejection letter and very impersonal.

Later, you receive a check in the mail as compensation for your travels.

Interview Questions
    • I received one technical question and it was only because of an experience the employee had had there when they started. Most of the questions were very open ended and mainly focused on asking about experience or previous projects you had worked on as well as a few behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Business Development Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at L-3 Communications in October 2014.

I applied via their portal and submitted my resume, and within 24 hours was contacted to set up an initial phone screening interview. The entire process from the day I applied to interview to offer in hand took 3 weeks - much, much faster than my experience with other large defense industry firms.

A little over 2 weeks after I applied they brought me to the HQ in Camden, NJ where I had a series of 1-v-1 interviews with a BD Director (my future boss), two production VPs, one production Director plus the HR Manager. In most cases they did more talking than asking questions, and the questions they did ask centered around why I wanted the position, why I thought I would be good at it, and how I thought I would fit in. It was pretty clear they were very interested in me and were mainly seeing if I was a good fit from a values and personality perspective.

I had developed a 90-day plan and showed it during the interviews. It really seemed to resonate with them that I had taken the time to give some thought to how I would be successful and had already mapped out a rough plan that showed I actually had a clue on how to hit the ground running.

The final interview occurred 2 days after the visit to Camden, NJ. It was a short phone interview with the VP of BD, and during the interview he told me they would be making me an offer. I received the offer letter via pdf email attachment later that afternoon.

Interview Questions
    The offer letter was for a base salary near the top the band for a BD Manager in the defense industry in the DC area where I live, and there was a nice sign-on bonus, but no incentive compensation of any kind which I found very surprising for a BD position. They gave me a week to make a decision. On two separate occasions during that week I attempted to negotiate incentive compensation, vacation days accrual rate, an initial deposit of vacation days, and other considerations but they would not budge on anything. Contrary to what I had been taught in all of my military transition training, and although the offer letter didn't say so, it was basically a "take-it-or-leave-it" offer. They were not willing to make any concessions and wouldn't even convert $10K of sign-on bonus into $10K of additional salary. Their stated position on incentive compensation was (1) incentive compensation doesn't begin until you reach the Director level, and (2) the base salary is high because the "bonus is already built in".

Supply Chain Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Greenville, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Greenville, TX

I applied online – interviewed at L-3 Communications.

Was a very long process. Took over a month before I was contacted. The first phone call was very general, just double checking some of the information on my resume and a few questions about my previous experience. It then took another two weeks before they had a time to interview me. Interview was in front of 3 people and fairly basic. It really was more of a conversation. I felt very good about the interview, but wasn't given an offer.

Compliance Interview

I applied online – interviewed at L-3 Communications.

Applied online with resume and cover letter. Had a phone interview with one supervisor, then an in person interview with two supervisors. Each interview was about 30 minutes long. The process took about 4 weeks from start to finish and was smooth. Negotiations with HR took place over the phone and online.

Interview Questions
    • What do you consider a weakness and what are you doing to improve in this regard?   Answer Question

Network Security Analyst Interview

First phone interview was a group interview with 3 different people.The interview really didn't have any questions, it was mainly them explaining the job. Then I was scheduled a video interview at their location closest to me. During that interview it was with the same people and again just explained the job. The whole interview there was barely any questions it was them just explaining the job. I have a feeling I was just one of the candidates HR required them to interview, and they had a candidate in mind already.

Mechanical Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, TX

I applied through college or university – interviewed at L-3 Communications in October 2014.

1st interview was on campus. Called a month later for an on site interview. They provided flight, hotel, steak dinner, breakfast, and lunch. On site they had a tour, some presentations from different divisions, and 3 interviews. The on site interviewers asked questions about my resume and transcript and talked about what they do in their division. No "tell me about a time when" questions were asked.

Interview Questions
    • In first interview I was asked to conceptually solve a solid mechanics problem.   Answer Question