L-3 Communications Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2015
Updated Mar 22, 2015

2.7

Senior Subcontracts Administrator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at L-3 Communications in October 2014.

I was first contacted with a phone call by a Human Resources rep to inquire about my salary requirements for the position. It was rescheduled several times, but a phone interview with the hiring manager within the department eventually followed .

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your experience... What kinds of things would you include in the subcontract file?   Answer Question

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at L-3 Communications in October 2014.

Interviewed for Director role in Tulsa OK. Moved fairly quickly after application through L-3 careers. Phone screen with HR, group phone interview with manager, HR, and one who would be a direct report. F2F interview about a week later in Tulsa. Second F2F interview with 2d level manager. No questions that were not straightforward and related directly to the role.

Told offer would be extended as req 'already approved,' only had to 'confirm salary' to senior executives. Time goes on, someone 'sick,' someone 'on travel.' Finally told that offer would not be extended. Though both hiring manager and 2d level manager wanted to hire, they were overruled by 3rd level manager who I never met either in person or on the phone. He was unresponsive to my phone calls or personal letter.

Bottom line: not to be trusted - don't consider it done until the day you start.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a set of product test requirements imposed on company as a subcontractor by an aircraft prime that was not related to an aircraft product.   View Answer

Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university – interviewed at L-3 Communications.

I applied for positions online and also spoke with several recruiters at a college career fair. A recruiter emailed me with an opportunity and asked if I was interested. I was invited for an interview the following week. For the interview I was asked to prepare a 20-30 minute presentation on a technical subject of my choice.

The interview consisted of a series of meetings with different members of the group in which I would be working. Many questions were technical.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected: In my last meeting with the group manger, he asked, "What was the hardest question you've been asked [in the interviews today]?"   View Answer

Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at L-3 Communications.

Employee requisitions do not always do a good job of defining what is being looked for in a candidate because most of the page is L3 "waving their flag" rather than describing the job requirements.
    It can take weeks to review candidates, HR does not do a great job down selecting and aligning to the job need. Expect to have a phone interview with the hiring manager. If that goes well, an on site interview is likely with multiple mangers, and would be co-workers + a facility tour. Do some homework - know what they make, look up the person on LinkedIn, be sure you ask about expectations and the working environment.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions are generally easy to answer. Discuss your experiences or past work.   Answer Question
    In order to know what to ask for you need to know what the job expectations are. If they ask you up front I recommend giving them a salary range rather than a specific number. Salaries are aligned with job grade - it is better to be in the lower part of a job grade salary range than near the top so you don't get maxed out.

Procurement Analyst for A Division of L-3 Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at L-3 Communications.

My resume had been passed along by a colleague. The next day, a key staffer resigned. I got a call and met with immediate supervisor and his supervisor for about 2 hours. Need was urgent, I was qualified, process moved along quickly.

Interview Questions
    • I don't recall specific questions. It was a comfortable discussion about their needs and my skill sets.   Answer Question
    My requirements were in line with their budgets, etc. It went quickly (2 phone calls I think)

IT Help Desk Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Detrick, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Detrick, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at L-3 Communications in August 2014.

Applied for on-line job posting, was contacted by L-3 HR rep, next contact was by phone with an IT screener, then a week or so later an interview was arranged at the job site. A panel interview about 1.5 hours, was a neutral to positive experience, very good conversation occurred.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you used information only you had access to, to form a consensus and lead an effort for change using that information. (Or something like that)   Answer Question
    No, though a negotiation was attempted, L-3 would not compromise.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Greenville, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Greenville, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at L-3 Communications in August 2014.

I submitted my resume online and was contacted the same day, answering a few short questions via telephone. Two months passed before I was contacted again, being told that L3 would like to fly me in for an onsite interview. A date was selected for the following week.
    There were a couple 1-on-1 interviews and also a 5 person panel interview. The process took about 4 hours.
    Given the minimal nature of the telephone interview, I felt somewhat unprepared - not certain what they were looking for. I fielded many questions about my ability to transition from the small company environment where I had been working to a prime contractor environment. Such questions led me to suspect that I wasn't quite what they wanted, and I must have been right since I did not receive any offer.

Interview Questions
    • How many marbles would it take to fill a school bus?   View Answer

Talented Employee Interview

Upper management was more concerned about their bonuses then their employees. Employees were laid-off if you had more than 10 years of seniority and based on their race and sex. Some employees with over 25 years of service were laid-off prior to the age of 55 so the company would pay little or no retirement including health benefits. Upper management was more concerned with hopping in the sack to climb the corporate ladder then evaluating their employees. You would have a better chance working for Donald Trump.

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at L-3 Communications.

I believe they received my resume through a resume collection at school. I was asked to set up a phone interview, I accepted and it took approximately 1 hour. A few weeks later I received an email saying that I will be hearing from HR regarding an offer for a summer internship soon. I received a call with an offer a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly technical questions and very few questions about past experience.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, offer was very good so I accepted it.

Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at L-3 Communications in July 2014.

Applied online and the process took about a month. The interview consisted of several one on one and a panel with two interviewers. With all interviews they went over my resume and asked a few personality questions. I was told what they were expecting with this position. A few weeks later, I was given a phone call letting me know that they were not interested.