L-3 Communications Interview Questions

2.7

Field Service Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fort Gordon, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Gordon, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at L-3 Communications in May 2010.

I believe they found my resume on clearancejobs.com. I was contacted by a recruiter and had a brief in person interview that I assume was only to ensure I wasn't completely socially inept.

There was no technical interview, but it was made clear that traveling would be necessary as required by the Army unit that our region supports.

Interview Questions
    • There were no questions really asked that I can recall.   Answer Question
    I wrote down my desired salary. The hiring manager said he didn't control salaries, but that it was probably too high and I wouldn't get it. The next day I received an offer letter for the amount requested.

MECHANIC I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at L-3 Communications in March 2013.

Had a friend who worked there and introduced me to the boss and handed him my resume.

Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at L-3 Communications.

Met at college career fair. Was invited for interview next day at campus recruiting center. Was offered an on-site interview several days later. Had a full day of interviews but also included tour, demo of job duties, and tour.

Interview Questions
    • Asked about difficulties when working in interdisciplinary engineering groups.   Answer Question

Production Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at L-3 Communications.

I submitted my resume through the website and received a call about a month or two later. I was called for an in-person interview and, when I arrived, it turned out it was a panel interview of six people. It lasted for about an hour.
    The questions were very typical: past work experience, biggest weakness, difficult customer, worst boss, etc.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any--they were all very typical questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. When I asked for more, the recruiter scoffed and said, "You're going to turn this job down for a few thousand bucks?" er...

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at L-3 Communications.

The company is very picky in the engineers being hired. Being able to really technically describe your experience is good. My experience is that the HR representative will introduce you to the specific functional manager posting the position, where they will introduce you to their department and give an overview of the work. Afterwards, you are escorted around to various people in the department for individual interviews, usually lasting .5 to 1 hrs. Each individual will feed their assessment of you back to the hiring manager. Anyone that any negative comments from the individual interviewers usually do not get offers.

Interview Questions
    • There was not really any trick or difficult questions. You really get asked about technical things that your resume talks about. Example: How does an IP packet obtain it's MAC address?   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chantilly, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chantilly, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at L-3 Communications.

One phone screen, followed by an interview with the manager and senior web developer. Questions included my experience, projects completed, and reason for job hunting. Asked about what I wanted to get involved in, what skills I would like to develop, and what I want to do in a few years.

Interview was conducted in a conference room. The meeting was only 20 minutes. It is a casual environment, with no one wearing suits unless you are an executive.

Offer was given over the phone, with an information package sent from FedEx. A drug test was required.

Interview Questions
    • What is your skill set, and what new skills do you want to acquire?   Answer Question
    I received the salary that I requested.

Hardware Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at L-3 Communications in December 2010.

I was interviewed after being a Co-op engineer so I already had an in with the people. This seemed to help a lot. The interview was a simple presentation on any technology topic of my choice, which I chose to present something that I'd previously developed. After the presentation, some of the interviewers asked me good technically questions. Other interviewers asked me ridiculous off topic questions that did not relate to my expertise or the position I was applying for.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to describe the functionality and timing results of a logic circuit that was drawn on the white board.   Answer Question
    I just accepted. If you want to work here, make sure you get a good initial salary and/or sign on bonus. Once you are hired, raises will hardly come and bonuses are non-existent.

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at L-3 Communications.

The process started with a phone screening interview with HR. Next was a longer more detailed interview the hiring manager that lasted about an hour. A few weeks later, they flew me down for an on-site interview. The interview lasted all day. It consisted of me sitting in a room, with about 7 or 8 different people rotating in to interview me. It was long and exhausting, but not terribly difficult. I went on a tour at the end and was pretty drained by all the interviews. I wish I had gone on the tour first so I could have asked more questions during the day. The people all seemed nice.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part was the length of the interview and the repetitive questions I got from people walking in and out. Most of the questions themselves were pretty standard situational questions and resume questions.   Answer Question

Operations Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at L-3 Communications in July 2010.

The initial interview was more of a review of my resume, where I had been, what I had been doing, what my knowledge / skills / and abilities were. There was also too much time spent on explaining the inter-workings of the company and the relationship between areas.

Interview Questions
    • Can't really remember one that I thought was quite difficult. Probably a simple question regarding the biggest weakness. Standard interview questions I thought. Everything I had prepared for.   Answer Question
    none

Senior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Newark, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at L-3 Communications in August 2010.

Brief and very vague questions regarding position. Interviewers not quite sure what the requirements are needed.

Interview Questions
    Consider additional time off, vacations, personal days etc.