L-3 Communications Network Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Baltimore, MD
Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at L-3 Communications in January 2012.

Nice place and setup. Got the opportunity through an external recruiter. Asked questions on STP, VLANs and ethernet cabling.

Interview Questions
  • I was asked to describe how to connect 2 switches using the GBIC.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for L-3 Communications

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

The process took a day - interviewed at L-3 Communications in March 2012.

I met them at the career fair and things looked really positive. But then I didn't hear back from them for few months and finally got a call for a phone interview. They asked me quite a few networking questions but I told them I was not a network guy, more a modeling/sim guy. They asked me a question about pointing lasers at one another since that was my research area for my PhD. The question was if I had two aircrafts traveling at the same altitudes, how would you figure out the direction a laser should point in Airplane 1 to hit Airplane 2. I didn't think it went well but then they wanted to me in person. I visited two groups there: Network and RF group. I gave my presentation to the network group about my project, it went really well and they were interested. One guy wanted to ask me about FPGAs but I told him I didn't have experience in that and he was fine. He then asked me about different network protocols (TCP/IP and UDP) and when certain ones can be used.

After that another interviewer came in and asked me about the OSI model and which one I thought I would fit in the best. He asked me a question about pointing cameras to one another on two trucks placed at different locations in space. He then also asked about the difference between C/C++ and C#.

I met with the RF group and got a tour of their facilities. Not too many questions asked there, just what I wanted to do with my career.

We then went out to lunch and had a very pleasant discussion. I was sure I had the job but they were looking for someone with more of a networking background. Still I expect to hear back from their RF group as they are also interviewing candidates.

Interview Questions
    • How would you point to cameras at each other that are on two different trucks in two different locations?   View Answer
    • What is the difference between TCP/IP and UDP, whre are they used?   View Answer

Worked for L-3 Communications? Contribute to the Community!