L-3 Communications

Relevance Date Difficulty

Business and Financial Analyst Interview

Business and Financial Analyst
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at L-3 Communications in April 2014.

Interview Details – First called for phone interview. Very easy to speak with the team. Asked standard interview questions and genuinely cared about me as a person. Next, I was called into a group interview. Standard Interview Questions again. They emailed me afterwards asking about my salary requirements. After that was provided, I did not hear back from them for 1.5 weeks. After sending an email, I was informed that I was backup to someone else they made an offer to.

Interview Question – Standard Interview Questions   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Intern Interview

Electrical Engineer Intern
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at L-3 Communications in March 2011.

Interview Details – I was called to schedule a phone interview as I was not in the local area from which they were hiring. They called me and introduced themselves, the position, and then asked me to describe myself, my history, my education, and my experience. It was much more of a conversation than a formal interview process and I ended up really enjoying myself. They asked questions as I spoke, and I started from my high school experience and what led me to choose engineering - this then branched off into extracurricular activities and things that I learned and experienced through my college career. I wrapped with my current experiences and what made me want to apply to their company.

Interview Question – The most difficult question asked why I wanted to work for them and how I expected my work to be there.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The location was not prime for a temporary location - SLC.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Mechanical Engineer
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at L-3 Communications in March 2010.

Interview Details – L-3 Communications was at a university career fair. I had 1 brief interview with an engineering manager at the career fair and provided my resume. I received a phone call approximately 7 days later to do a phone interview. The phone interview was approximately 15 mins and very general. Following the phone interview, I had an onsite interview in front of a panel, was required to do a presentation, and 3 work out problems on the white board that took approximately 5 mins to solve each one.

Interview Question – I was required to answer three very technical questions on the white board using a marker and in front of 8 managers.   Answer Question

Production Planner Interview

Production Planner
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at L-3 Communications.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume through the website and received a call about a month or two later. I was called for an in-person interview and, when I arrived, it turned out it was a panel interview of six people. It lasted for about an hour.
The questions were very typical: past work experience, biggest weakness, difficult customer, worst boss, etc.

Interview Question – There weren't any--they were all very typical questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. When I asked for more, the recruiter scoffed and said, "You're going to turn this job down for a few thousand bucks?" er...

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at L-3 Communications.

Interview Details – The company is very picky in the engineers being hired. Being able to really technically describe your experience is good. My experience is that the HR representative will introduce you to the specific functional manager posting the position, where they will introduce you to their department and give an overview of the work. Afterwards, you are escorted around to various people in the department for individual interviews, usually lasting .5 to 1 hrs. Each individual will feed their assessment of you back to the hiring manager. Anyone that any negative comments from the individual interviewers usually do not get offers.

Interview Question – There was not really any trick or difficult questions. You really get asked about technical things that your resume talks about. Example: How does an IP packet obtain it's MAC address?   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer I Interview

Hardware Engineer I
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at L-3 Communications in December 2010.

Interview Details – I was interviewed after being a Co-op engineer so I already had an in with the people. This seemed to help a lot. The interview was a simple presentation on any technology topic of my choice, which I chose to present something that I'd previously developed. After the presentation, some of the interviewers asked me good technically questions. Other interviewers asked me ridiculous off topic questions that did not relate to my expertise or the position I was applying for.

Interview Question – I was asked to describe the functionality and timing results of a logic circuit that was drawn on the white board.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I just accepted. If you want to work here, make sure you get a good initial salary and/or sign on bonus. Once you are hired, raises will hardly come and bonuses are non-existent.

Operations Project Manager Interview

Operations Project Manager
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at L-3 Communications in July 2010.

Interview Details – The initial interview was more of a review of my resume, where I had been, what I had been doing, what my knowledge / skills / and abilities were. There was also too much time spent on explaining the inter-workings of the company and the relationship between areas.

Interview Question – Can't really remember one that I thought was quite difficult. Probably a simple question regarding the biggest weakness. Standard interview questions I thought. Everything I had prepared for.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Manufacturing Process Engineer Interview

Manufacturing Process Engineer
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at L-3 Communications in April 2011.

Interview Details – This interview was done in front of a panel of team leads, staff of senior engineers and the manager. The manager did much of the talking and asking questions. He made me feel comfortable. It was a very positive interview and he was a positive manager. After he had asked his questions he would ask the others what questions they had for me. After the interview he had the team lead take me for a tour of the facility.

Interview Question – Why is a sewer lid round?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It would have served me to ask for more. I had been out of work a long time and so I just took the offer. The HR rep was very attentive listening while we discussed salary and would have been will to entertain a negotiation process had I had the courage.

Cost Analyst Interview

Cost Analyst
Salt Lake City, UT

I interviewed at L-3 Communications in November 2013.

Interview Details – Called in for interview. Standard meet and discussion. No unexpected questions.

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Senior Systems Engineer
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 7 months - interviewed at L-3 Communications in May 2011.

Interview Details – Applied in Nov 2010 and received initial response in May 2011 - way too long. After initial contact there was a phone interview. Based on the positive results, they flew me into Salt Lake for a face-to-face interview. I was asked to prepare and present a technical briefing on the topic of my choice. It went well

Negotiation Details – the process was simple and easy to work through

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for L-3 Communications? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at L-3 Communications interview questions and advice in Salt Lake City, UT. All 16 interview reviews posted anonymously by L-3 Communications employees and interview candidates.