L-3 Communications

Updated Jan 27, 2015

2.9

Proposal Pricing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at L-3 Communications in December 2014.

I applied for the job at the beginning of December and received a call roughly 2 weeks later for an interview. They set up the interview for the following week. The email I received indicated I would be interviewing first and then going to HR for "a quick follow-up to the interview." When the recruiter called me to confirm, he stated the interview would be approximately 30 minutes.

When I arrived for the interview, which was scheduled for 9am, I ended up waiting for a bit before the person came down to get me (at about 915am). However, while I waited, many people from the company spoke with me, which made me feel very welcomed at the company. When we entered the office for the interview, I found out I would be interviewing with two people-- the Director of Finance as well as the Proposal Pricing Manager. I tried to set the tone of the interview right away, which worked. I am a very laid back and enjoy making people laugh-- I worked my magic on the two interviewers and that helped break the ice. They were very receptive to my answers and asked a lot of good, atypical interview questions.

At the hour mark of the interview, the Director stated they had already taken an hour of my time and began to wrap up the interview. I quickly responded that I had all the time in the world and if they had more questions, I'd be more than happy to stay and answer them. With that, they continued to ask questions and the interview ended up lasting just over two hours. They asked if I had any questions for them and were very open and honest in their answers. Afterwards, I headed over the HR department and spoke with one of their reps regarding L-3 benefits, leave (vacation, sick time, etc.) and pay. When I walked into her office at 1130am, she confirmed I was the 9am interview and when I told her I was, she indicated a two hour interview was a very good sign. I left feeling very confident that not only had I nailed the interview but that I would get an offer.

Because I interviewed right before the Christmas break, it took a little longer to get a response regarding the job. When I did receive correspondence via email, to my surprise, they did not extend an offer and went with another candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Let's say you are in charge of stocking a grocery store candy aisle, to include the layout of where the candy will go. You have cinnamon bears and gummy bears. Would you display these two candies in the same section? Why or why not?   View Answer
    • This position requires a lot of interaction with other departments. In a sense, you are managing a bid proposal without managing the other people from other departments who are working on the bid with you. How do you go about leading the bid proposal process without actually managing the people?   Answer Question

Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university – interviewed at L-3 Communications.

I applied for positions online and also spoke with several recruiters at a college career fair. A recruiter emailed me with an opportunity and asked if I was interested. I was invited for an interview the following week. For the interview I was asked to prepare a 20-30 minute presentation on a technical subject of my choice.

The interview consisted of a series of meetings with different members of the group in which I would be working. Many questions were technical.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected: In my last meeting with the group manger, he asked, "What was the hardest question you've been asked [in the interviews today]?"   View Answer

Business and Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at L-3 Communications in April 2014.

First called for phone interview. Very easy to speak with the team. Asked standard interview questions and genuinely cared about me as a person. Next, I was called into a group interview. Standard Interview Questions again. They emailed me afterwards asking about my salary requirements. After that was provided, I did not hear back from them for 1.5 weeks. After sending an email, I was informed that I was backup to someone else they made an offer to.

Production Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at L-3 Communications.

I submitted my resume through the website and received a call about a month or two later. I was called for an in-person interview and, when I arrived, it turned out it was a panel interview of six people. It lasted for about an hour.
    The questions were very typical: past work experience, biggest weakness, difficult customer, worst boss, etc.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any--they were all very typical questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. When I asked for more, the recruiter scoffed and said, "You're going to turn this job down for a few thousand bucks?" er...

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at L-3 Communications.

The company is very picky in the engineers being hired. Being able to really technically describe your experience is good. My experience is that the HR representative will introduce you to the specific functional manager posting the position, where they will introduce you to their department and give an overview of the work. Afterwards, you are escorted around to various people in the department for individual interviews, usually lasting .5 to 1 hrs. Each individual will feed their assessment of you back to the hiring manager. Anyone that any negative comments from the individual interviewers usually do not get offers.

Interview Questions
    • There was not really any trick or difficult questions. You really get asked about technical things that your resume talks about. Example: How does an IP packet obtain it's MAC address?   Answer Question

Cost Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

interviewed at L-3 Communications in November 2013.

Called in for interview. Standard meet and discussion. No unexpected questions.

Technical Trainer IV Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at L-3 Communications.

Called to setup an interview.
    Conducted a group interview (team members). Each team member asked HR-approved questions related to the job description. Some behavioral based questions.

Interview Questions
    • If you have two glasses in front of you, one colored orange and one clear, take a table spoon of each and put it in the opposite glass, what do you have?   View Answer
    No negoatiation on my part, I was happy with the initial offer

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at L-3 Communications in June 2012.

They were very organized and communicated clearly the timeline, what to expect, where to show up. I would suggest that you research the company in advance and be prepared to show that you are willing to take responsibility for your learning and to ready to hit the ground running in your new environment. Also it helps to be relaxed and project confidence.

Interview Questions
    • What is the best compliment someone has ever paid you, and why did you select it?   Answer Question

I was wanting to take my career in a different direction.

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

The process took a dayinterviewed at L-3 Communications in March 2012.

I met them at the career fair and things looked really positive. But then I didn't hear back from them for few months and finally got a call for a phone interview. They asked me quite a few networking questions but I told them I was not a network guy, more a modeling/sim guy. They asked me a question about pointing lasers at one another since that was my research area for my PhD. The question was if I had two aircrafts traveling at the same altitudes, how would you figure out the direction a laser should point in Airplane 1 to hit Airplane 2. I didn't think it went well but then they wanted to me in person. I visited two groups there: Network and RF group. I gave my presentation to the network group about my project, it went really well and they were interested. One guy wanted to ask me about FPGAs but I told him I didn't have experience in that and he was fine. He then asked me about different network protocols (TCP/IP and UDP) and when certain ones can be used.

After that another interviewer came in and asked me about the OSI model and which one I thought I would fit in the best. He asked me a question about pointing cameras to one another on two trucks placed at different locations in space. He then also asked about the difference between C/C++ and C#.

I met with the RF group and got a tour of their facilities. Not too many questions asked there, just what I wanted to do with my career.

We then went out to lunch and had a very pleasant discussion. I was sure I had the job but they were looking for someone with more of a networking background. Still I expect to hear back from their RF group as they are also interviewing candidates.

Interview Questions
    • How would you point to cameras at each other that are on two different trucks in two different locations?   View Answer
    • What is the difference between TCP/IP and UDP, whre are they used?   View Answer

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at L-3 Communications in May 2011.

I felt like L-3 Communications was a wonderful place to work at. I walked in and everyone I saw had a smile on their face while working hard. The interviewers were busy but made time and they did a great job. I feel like L-3 is a great company to work for.

Interview Questions
    • "If I were to ask your current employer what your two greatest weaknesses are, what would they say?" followed by " and what would they say your two greatest strengths are?"   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you had to deal with someone on your team that was not being a team player?   Answer Question
    I accepted their offer because it was right where I needed it to be.