L-3/IS

Relevance Date Difficulty

Mechanical Engineer I Interview

Mechanical Engineer I
Greenville, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at L-3/IS.

Interview Details – The interview at L-3 was pretty long. I was there for at least 6 hours. That includes 3 face to face, 1 tour of the campus, and lunch at the cafe. The questions were run of the mill questions that every one ask. Tell me about yourself, why should we hire you, bla bla bla.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was to explain why L-3 should hire me. Not that it was that hare but that is the most dificult question. Doesn't mean your interview will be like mine so reading this is probably a waste of time. Every manager has there own way of questioning people.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nill, I was straight out of college and thought is was a good salary. They don't negotiate much though if any.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Rockwall, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at L-3/IS.

Interview Details – Sent resume to HR. HR called and scheduled an interview. Met with 3 senior level managers (Marketing, COO and Programs Director). Each interview was cordial but only the PD spent time in asking questions relating to a specific open position

Interview Question – Trying to demonstrate that my telecom experience in managing projects, budgets, forecasts, etc., would be of value in defense contracting.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I accepted a much lower salary to start. In six months they gave me a $10K raise.

Very Easy Interview

Technical Editor Interview

Waco, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at L-3/IS in November 2012.

Interview Details – submitted resume online. Received call 2wks later. Interviewed by panel of 4 team members. Laid back interview. They confirmed my familiarity with their current products and processes.

Interview Question – where do you see yourself in 5 yr.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – quick turn around on both sides.

Software Engineer II Interview

Software Engineer II
Greenville, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at L-3/IS.

Interview Details – I was scouted from my resume on careerbuilder.com. I was called, asked if I was still looking for employment. Asked answering in the affirmative, I was informed that I would get a plane ticket and could rent a car for an interview on site. I was also setup in a hotel. I arrived in Greenville, TX the day before the interview, and given directions to show up at the plant for the interview at 8am. I was picked up by a manager and started the interview process in his office. We spoke for a couple of minutes and then I went and interviewed with 2-3 project leads. After these talks I was taken to lunch with four employees of the group into which I would be hired. The spoke about several topics, asked me about my comfort with Java programming and working for a defense contractor. After lunch I had 2-3 more one-on-one's with project leads and finished with the manager who picked me up from the company waiting room. I was told I had the job in this final meeting. I was not able to negotiate my salary.

Interview Question – One interviewer learned of my experience with artificial intelligence and began a line of questioning about ontology's. I had to tell him I was not familiar with ontology's but could be with some research. That interviewer was my most difficult interviewer, I had to say no to most of his questions. I later found out that he was my strongest supporter concerning getting hired.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Couldn't negotiate.

Corporate Counsel Interview

Greenville, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at L-3/IS in May 2012.

Interview Details – After very fast contact based on my resume submission, I was told to contact the interviewing attorney's secretary to set the date since I was coming in from out of town. We set the date on Thursday for the following Wednesday and I was told to expect a call from HR with specifics. I got a call Monday morning from HR who answered some of my questions and sent me email with maps and forms to fill out and bring. Less than an hour later I get a call back from HR again who rather sheepishly informed me that the interview was cancelled as they had decided to go with a candidate interviewed on Thursday of the previous week. This was rather frustrating to say the least and while I appreciate them not having me drive 3 hours when they were going with someone else, it seems that at the very least the hiring manager or his secretary could have bothered to call me and apologize personally.

Interview Question – never got that far   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer I Interview

Senior Software Engineer I
Greenville, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at L-3/IS in April 2008.

Interview Details – Phone interview, On-site 1:1 Interview with multiple people, Phone notification of offer, offer-letter via mail.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate but knew others who did.

Aviation Mechanic Government Interview

Aviation Mechanic Government
Greenville, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at L-3/IS in June 2009.

Interview Details – I was contacted off of Monster.com. I recieved a Phone interview by a recruiting agency internally within L-3 or HR. I was flown to the facility where I was shown and interviewed 1 on 1 with basic background questions as far as work experience and job related knowledge.

Interview Question – Riviting questions, metal etc   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – easy, simple but lots of paperwork.

Principal Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at L-3/IS in January 2009.

Interview Details – I interviewed to fill a particular job description, high-performance embedded DSP design architect. I started with with the boiler plate HR process. They had given me a bunch of forms to fill out prior to my interview. Nothing extraordinary, just routine stuff. Over the course of a day (9am-4pm), I interviewed with multiple people in a particular group that I was potentially going to join. The questions were all specific to my resume. They did buy me lunch where they questioned me as a person such as what are my hobbies, what's my favorite sports team, etc. At the end of the day, I was given a survey of the interview process by HR. They had also asked me where else I had I applied and how much I was interested in the job . These HR questions were all in the form of: "On a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being excellent, how do you rate....." I ended up taking the job where I realized that I had an extremely high chance of getting this position based on my resume. Again, I went on their website and tailored my resume to mesh with the job they were looking for. So the resume is the key if you structure and phrase it properly. I didn't embellish or falsify anything. BE PREPARED TO BACK IT UP. That's what I did for all of the interviews during the day.

Interview Questions

• Do you feel you could be a mentor or an advisor to some of the younger engineers?   Answer Question
  • Describe a conflict you had with your superiors.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for L-3/IS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at L-3/IS interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by L-3/IS employees and interview candidates.