L.E.K. Consulting

L.E.K. Consulting Consultant Interview Questions

3.5

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at L.E.K. Consulting in August 2010.

Two 30 minute phone interview. I am going into the office for in person interviews in 2 weeks.
Phone interviews consisted of fit questions related to my resume and experience. Also, I recieved a brief case in each interview. These had to do with 1. Overall approach to assessing an acquisition; 2. How to assess a private equity investment.

Interview Questions
  • Assess market size for a bio-tech device.   Answer Question
  • Overall approach to assessing an acquisition for a pharmaceutical company.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for L.E.K. Consulting

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at L.E.K. Consulting in March 2010.

Received an interview invite through on-campus resume drop. I was one of 12 MBA students interview on the day. It was pretty standard affair. A couple resume-based questions, and then straight to the case. The case was a marketing sizing question. I didn't handle that well at the beginning, but straighten up at the end. The interviewer was a consultant in the PE field. A very nice guy. I got the rejection a day after. Two of my classmates went on to teh second round at Boston office.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at L.E.K. Consulting in January 2010.

2 Rounds of interviews. The first round included a quant and a qual case. The final round included two more traditional cases, as well as a presentation/workflow gant based on a case (one hour to read and prepare). Overall, one of the better MBA interviewing processes.

Interview Questions
    • Assign workflow to each team member over a 2 week period.   Answer Question

Consulting Interview

1st Round - 2 case interviews
    2nd Round - 1 presentation, 2 case interviews followed by behavioral questions

Interview Questions
    • What is the annual revenue of hot dog sales in the U.S.?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at L.E.K. Consulting in November 2009.

Several consulting case interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • Case interview about how to launch a pharmaceuticals business.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at L.E.K. Consulting.

Two first round interviews on campus with a partner and a manager that included a market sizing question and a longer business case. Two days later we had four second round interviews at the LEK office with partners (2 case studies, 1 experience interview, and 1 HR interview). The interviews were primarily interviewer-led.

Interview Questions
    • Comment on using EBIT/IC as a measure of a profitability (this came in the context of a more general business case).   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at L.E.K. Consulting.

Applied through campus recruiting, received a phone call to schedule an interview within the week. The HR manager was lovely and very helpful / accommodating, and the process in general ran like butter.

First round composed of two interviews with a consultant and a manager, most of the time spent on case interviews and a few minutes at the end for CV and my own questions. There was definitely a wider variety of case questions compared to competitor firms (McK, BCG, Bain) - first case was one half of a classic "profitability case" - find the factors that impact revenue for an airline route and estimate revenue based on those levers, (but without cost calculations), and with some open ended strategy questions at the end. Second case was a McKinsey style "command and control" where my interviewer took me through slide after slide, I would distill insights and answer key questions from the charts and data, and then calculated my way through a slide or two of public math. Received a call the next day telling me that I advanced to the second round.

Second round was with two partners, a behavioral or competency interview and another case interview. Behavioral interview consisted of many of the questions that you would prepare for any interview probing cultural fit with an organization and fit with the particular role, and I really enjoyed my conversation with my interviewer.

I really fell short on the second round case interview which resulted in my getting dinged. My interviewer showed me a few slides of data to distill the key insights for an industry "due diligence" or market trend report (pure strategy, no calculations). I tackled it with a slide by slide approach like my previous interview when in hindsight I should have structured my approach at the beginning, and then found data corresponding to each item in my approach. A source of frustration was the fact that I was interviewing over video teleconference and had to ask my interviewer to flip slides, but it really couldn't be helped given the circumstances. I did manage to find some insights from each slide, but without structuring my approach I lost sight of each insight's greater significance and interactions between data points on different slides.

Overall, I was surprised that none of my interviewers asked me to give a synthesis or summary of recommendations at the end of each case, which was a relief in some ways, but also slightly disconcerting since I thought I was being cut off each time. Regarding the firm in general, LEK seemed like a great firm with a wonderful team in Australia, and while it was disappointing not to continue in the process, I would definitely consider re-applying later in my career.

Interview Questions
    • Airline partnership scenario - calculate current revenues generated by an airline route (by first identifying what factors go into the revenues), and talk about synergies and potential risks from this partnership.

New product/service line - find where the client should enter the value chain (and why), what the client's capabilities are and how they might transfer over to this new line of business. Then, using data in chart form, identify the most attractive customer segment and calculate potential profits.

Industry due diligence - based on information from 4~5 slides on current market supply, demand, and growth in customer segments, evaluate the general attractiveness of the industry, including price and regional trends.
        Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting.

Usual case + Fit interviews;

Interview Questions
    • Interviews were tough; there was one market sizing question and rest was the usual profit and loss question and answerer. There were not brain teasers in the interview.   View Answer

Telephone interview
    15min from Shanghai Office
    All in English
    1 CV based questions
    1 case about how many people take GRE in Shanghai every year

Interview Questions
    • Interviewer will keep challenging you in the mini case   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at L.E.K. Consulting.

2 rounds interviews, first round with 2 managers, 10 minutes CV questions and 40 minutes case interview. The first manager asked about a market sizing case and how to value the potential market. The second manager asked about a case which was a project they did recently. At the end they give you a chance to ask questions. Got an email a few days later and was told didn't get in next round......

Interview Questions
    • I had some entrepreneurial experience and the interviewer asked why not keep doing that. I stated that my motivation of going to consulting firms but I think I may sound like I would do it again once I am more experienced.   Answer Question