L.E.K. Consulting Life Science Specialist Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2015

3.1

Life Sciences Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting.

Interview

First round phone, one market sizing, one case. Second round in person. three interviews including one case presentation, one business case, and one market sizing. Also included some standard fit questions (why LEK?, tell me more about this experience on your resume etc.)

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for L.E.K. Consulting

Life Science Specialist Interview

Interview

The first round consisted of two phone interviews - 30 min each. 2nd round involved 3 interviews with directors. Interviews were very short (30min) and I felt rushed. The office was ugly and felt depressing.

Interview Questions

• Market sizing. How would you contribute to the LEK community outside of work?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at L.E.K. Consulting (Boston, MA) in November 2013.

Interview

Very well organized hiring process. I applied online and the interview process took 1 month

Interview Questions

• Unexpected question: what social cause you are most passionate about? how can joining LEK impact that?   Answer Question

Life Science Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at L.E.K. Consulting in October 2013.

Interview

Coming from an atypical background (PhD Animal Sciences) I had networked hard to get invited to interview; Linked In, Info sessions any opportunity to find out more. Applied online and invited in for interviews, the first round was 2 x 30min interviews with current LSS, 10 mins fit questions, 10 mins case questions and 10 min Q&A. The final round was 3 x 30min interviews of the same format with Partners.

Interview Questions

• Market sizing for a new drug. Estimating the non compliance rate for a drug.   Answer Question

Life Sciences Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting (Boston, MA) in October 2013.

Interview

Applied via on-campus recruiting, got my application noticed by former supervisor (former LEKer) putting in a good word for me. Two case interviews over the phone with an LSS and a Consultant, followed by in-office interview consisting of three case/fit interviews with three different interviewers, one partner, two principals. Was called with offer about 1.5 weeks later by the partner. Recruitment mixer, dinner, and informational events occurred over two days, and happened about 3-4 days before deadline to accept offer.

Interview Questions

• Instead of telling me one of your strengths, or one of your weaknesses, tell me about something you are only average at.   Answer Question

Great salary, but lifestyle seems particularly bad, and promotion opportunities happen on a set schedule for LSSs. Chose an offer from a different consulting firm that paid similarly but offered ability to join at higher rank.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at L.E.K. Consulting (San Francisco, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

Applied online via their career website, received email from HR to schedule 2 back to back phone interviews. Both interview has behavior part as well as case part. One interview focused on market sizing with some calculation, and the other one focused on strategy without any calculation

Interview Questions

• Estimate market size for a drug   Answer Question
    • Investigate reasons of declining profit for a life science tools company, advice on their M&A direction   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting (Boston, MA) in October 2013.

Interview

Applied on online and heard back in 2 days. first interview happened in another two days. It contains a simple PEI question and two cases.

Interview Questions

• One is about market sizing and one is about strategy for a pill manufacture company regarding making a new drug to improve profit.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at L.E.K. Consulting (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

Two round interview process, with the first being over the phone and the 2nd at the location where you will work. The phone interview was fun and enjoyable. The second round was odd because the interviewers were not enagaging or friendly at all. It felt adversarial at some point. It could also have been because they already had a hire in mind.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at L.E.K. Consulting (Boston, MA) in October 2012.

Interview

Applied online. Got email in 2 days from HR, scheduled an interview. Two phone round with a Consultant and Life Science Specialist. I am Ph.D. in life sciences. First interviewer was very friendly and we discussed about Why Consulting?, Leadership/ Teamwork Example. Second interviewer the junior consultant was not so friendly and unresponsive. Fit questions included Why Consulting? Collaborations etc. Eventually got reject email from HR with no feedback (they have worst policy of no feedback). I thought i did very well on both of the cases and fit.

Interview Questions

• 1) Case 1: Your client is PE firm looking to buy medical device company which makes baby helmets to keep their faces in shape . What things should they consider?
      2) Case 2: Your client in Drug maker of Pancreatic Cancer Drug (2nd line). Estimate market size of this drug.
      Fit: Why Consulting? Tell me about your start up, Leadership/ Team Example.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at L.E.K. Consulting (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

I had long been interested in the Life Sciences Specialist position at L.E.K. Consulting. A full year beforehand, I had seen a presentation on the opportunity by an engagement manager at L.E.K.. In the intervening year, I became president of my school's consulting club and trained aggressively to increase my odds of obtaining an interview for the position. My attempts to land a summer internship with L.E.K. met with rejection, and I redoubled my efforts to present an even more appealing package of application materials in the fall. In the fall of 2011, I again attended the information session on L.E.K.'s Life Sciences Specialist position, and I even offered to help set up a date for the information session at my own school.

This time around I did get an interview. At my first round interview I was 5 minutes late due to traffic. Once I was on the road, I called the office one hour ahead of time to inform them that I might be late, and I called again 30 minutes later to confirm my lateness. Since we are in Los Angeles and I was coming from more than 25 miles away, both of my interviewers--both engagement managers--were incredibly understanding of my plight. The only consequence of my tardiness ended up being that I missed out on the chance to ask questions to my first interviewer.

My first interviewer gave me a strategy case. He was very impressed with my knowledge level when it came to financial workings, likely because I am a PhD candidate in Chemistry. My second interviewer and I had met previously, since he was the presenter at both of the career information sessions I had attended on the Life Sciences Specialist position at L.E.K. Consulting. My second interviewer gave me a quantitative estimation case. The following Monday (four days later), I was informed that I would be granted a final round interview for the Life Sciences Specialist position.

L.E.K. has a great policy of automatically sending out biographies and information about your scheduled interviewers several days before the date of the interview. This offered a good period of time for me to do some research on my interviewers and come up with an inspiring set of questions to ask them during the Q&A portion of the interview. I commend L.E.K. highly for this effort; this policy is unheard-of at other top tier consulting firms where I have interviewed.

My final round interviews consisted of three one-on-one interviews with vice-presidents (a.k.a. partners). My first interview consisted of a quantitative estimation case followed by a lot of questions about my resume and general "fit" evaluations. My first interviewer was sick and seemed a bit testy; he had candidates informed ahead of time that he did not want to shake hands. My second interview was very casual and involved heavy discussion of my past, my future goals, and my questions about the firm. During my second interview, we did cover a strategy case as well, but only because the idea came up during the Q&A. My third interview was solely focused on "fit".

My third interviewer seems very concerned with getting what she perceived as "more honest answers" out of me. She seemed to think I was giving canned interview answers when I was asked questions like "what would your last boss say is your greatest weakness?". Of course, I was being completely honest when I explained that I need to be constantly challenged or else I will get bored and disengaged. Nevertheless, she dismissed this with, "that's bull sh*t". I responded by saying it is true, and I gave some examples.

Also, my third interviewer asked me a question that I felt was inappropriate, she asked "What other consulting firms did you apply to, which of them are still considering hiring you, and why were you rejected from the others?". I immediately expressed my discomfort with this question and asked if I was obligated to answer. I felt this question would have been appropriate after an offer was made, not during an interview. Anyway, she eventually pressured me into answering, but perhaps I should have stuck to my guns.

I was told I would be informed of the decision that Friday (3 days later), but on Friday I was informed that the decision had not been made yet. A week after the interview, I wrote a letter to all three vice-presidents emphasizing that I was still highly interested in the position. And, I called the office to try and obtain some information on my status. I received a reply note saying that more interviews for the position had been conducted and I would be notified of a decision later that week. Finally, that Friday (10 days later total), I was informed of my rejection. It was very disappointing for me.

Interview Questions

• A pharmaceutical company with no R&D labs has a new product for post-surgical treatment with solid revenue projections. The company would like to grow, but not so quickly that it would become an attractive acquisition target. What should they do?   1 Answer
    • How many cars cross the Brooklyn Bridge per day? per hour? per lane?   1 Answer
    • How would you segment and analyze the market for synthetic human blood?   1 Answer
    • How many hospital beds are in the U.S.? Not that you've estimated it one way, how else could you estimate it?   1 Answer