L.E.K. Consulting

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Summer Associate

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through my school's website where LEK posted a job description for Interns at their office. I sent in my materials and got a call back about 2 weeks later from their HR department to schedule an interview, which took place a week later.
The interview process itself was fairly standard for consulting companies: 4 interviews with a length of about 45 minutes each. About 10 minutes was devoted to resume questions at the start of each interview. Those questions were all fairly simple and sometimes repeated themselves in later interviews-no bs like "What's your biggest failure so far" which I appreciate. Each interview then had a case question which got progressively more complicated, starting with very straightforward market sizing to a very general market entry question. From what I was told, the process is similar for full time entry with one additional interview.
The atmosphere at the office was very friendly with drinks and food available and everyone I met made a great impression on me. They got back to me with the results the next day which was also appreciated.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected; in fact, the resume question were very straightforward (more just a retelling of my experiences so far and why I'd like to join LEK).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was told I was accepted on the phone and sent a contract; no negotiations for Summer Associates I imagine

Summer Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting.

Interview Details – Applied through my school's job website, was selected for a first round interview. Consisted of two half hour long interviews with some of their younger associates. First 5ish minutes of the interview was very standard - talked about my background, why I wanted to work there, why I was interested in consulting. The next 15-20 minutes consisted of a case question and then the final few minutes were devoted to asking any questions I had to the interviewers.

Interview Question – One of the case questions asked was how much revenue would a cruise ship make per trip. The other was a market sizing question for a new rain product.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through on-campus recruiting. Two rounds of interviews.

First round on-campus. Two 30-minute interviews with a recent grad and a principal. One quant case and one strategy case with a few "fit" questions in each round.

Final round was in the office. Three 30-minute case interviews. Met with an MD, Engagement Manager, and a Principal.

Interview Question – Your client is a U.S. sugar processor. After NAFTA, there is increased competition from Mexican sugar processors. What do you do?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting in January 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process was broken down into two 30-minute time slots. In each interview, there was roughly 10-15 minutes of behavioral questions related to my resume and past experiences, followed by a short and straightforward business case. My interviewers were both incredibly socially awkward and difficult to connect with.

Interview Question – Interviewer made up an ambiguous case on the spot about a Rock Climbing/Skiing goods manufacturer and barely gave any information.   Answer Question

Interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting

Interview Details – I was selected for a first-round interview after applying through the campus recruiting website. First round was pretty much as expected-- two relatively simple cases, one being a basic profit case and the other about sizing the market for a certain technology necessary for 3D movies (LEK tends to focus on market sizing more than other firms). Interviewers were both extremely nice and helpful. The second round was a little more rigorous; there were 3 30 minute cases (5 mins of behavioral) with partners and higher level managers. 2 of the 3 cases required market sizing. They emailed me the next day saying that they could not extend me an offer at this time. It was a pleasant experience overall.

Interview Question – How many stretchers were sold in the U.S. last year?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting in February 2012.

Interview Details – First round interviews consisted of two back to back interviews on campus--one with a manager and one with a consultant. Final rounds consisted of three back to back to back interviews in the office--one with a manager and two with partners/VP's.

All interviews were 1/2 hour, and about 20-25 minutes were devoted to the case with only 10-5 minutes devoted to "fit". Most fit questions were just resume questions. 2 of my 5 case interviews were pure market sizing, and the other 3 were very white space strategy.

In my opinion, the key to non-market sizing L.E.K. interviews is to insight some interesting discussion with the interviewer about the case at hand. They usual are giving you a case that they have recently completed and are excited to talk about interesting aspects of the case if you can highlight them.

Interview Questions

• First Round:
    Your client is a company that has created a DNA testing machine to be used in hospitals (they gave more background on the product that i cannot remember). The machine can do literaly thousands of different tests, but they want to have some strategy around how to choose the top 20 tests to focus on for the machine so as to develop a core competency. How do you suggest they go around this?
      Answer Question
  • Final Rounds:
    Our client needs to gain an understanding of the size of the U.S. market for workers compensation. Estimate for me the totally yearly amount of money spent on lost wages due to workers recuperating from on-the-job injuries (i.e., do not include the price of medical bills).
      Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not need to negotiate--it was my best offer and they gave me substantial time to accept. As an intern, it's hard to argue with them when their process is so fine-tuned and in place.

Sydney (Australia)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting in August 2013.

Interview Details – The recruitment process was run smoothly and I found the people in the firm to be extremely welcoming and down to earth. This really drew me in. The first round of interviews consisted of three 30 minute cases run by senior consultants. These cases varied in structure and type. I was given a profitability case, a new business entry case and a market sizing question.

The second round consisted of two one-on-one interviews with partners and this was more a general chat around experiences, why consulting and general behavioral and fit questions.

Overall, the interview process was quite enjoyable.

Interview Question – How many new cars were sold in Australia last year?   Answer Question

Summer Associate

Interview Details – The employees and managers were all really helpful throughout the interview process. The interview itself was definitely very difficult with typical case questions that you would expect at any consulting firm. LEK, though, is a strategy consulting firm so questions definitely tend to have more strategy or implications of data associated with it. The interview consisted of 2 rounds, first round on campus and second round at the office. The first round was with 2 people while the 2nd round was with three different managers at the office.

Interview Questions

Worked for L.E.K. Consulting? Contribute to the Community!