L'Oréal USA

Updated Feb 17, 2015
Updated Feb 17, 2015

3.1

Intern Interview

The process begins early in the fall of junior year. Many steps to the process and lots of hoops to jump, as it is very competitive. Initial application consists of cover letter plus a series of essays. The next round is a phone interview. Then Taste of L'Oreal weekend in NYC, which is a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • Taste of L'Oreal was definitely the most difficult step in general. They have a day of "case" interview where they observe you very closely in a group. Important to be the right amount of involved and to be a good team player, not overbearing.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Brunswick Terrace, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Brunswick Terrace, NJ

I applied through college or university – interviewed at L'Oréal USA.

The interview process was a 10-15 minute presentation on previous achievements, academic and/or work related. Afterward, there was a panel of about 4 members who asked behavioral questions. The questions were not too hard, mainly asking about my previous work experience. One of the panel members were very interested in one of my previous internships and asked very specific details based on the results of my project there. So be sure to know your resume and remember key facts from the past.

Taste of Finance 2014 Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at L'Oréal USA in November 2014.

Applied early October, was notified of my decision on Dec. 1

First Round: Phone screen with a Finance Manager over the phone. 30 minutes of basically behavioral questions, resume walk-through, why L'Oreal, why Corporate Finance over Banking/S&T.

Final Round: Two weeks after the phone screen, was invited to fly out to New York for Taste of L'Oreal. First day was purely networking and getting to know the company. Ate at a very nice restaurant with an open bar. People were extremely friendly, genuine, and outgoing. The next day, you start very early in the morning. After breakfast, there are some speakers who speak about Finance at L'Oreal and the different sectors (Brand Finance, Operations Finance, etc.).

After the speakers, you get assigned into groups and work on a case with your team members. During this case, there are L'Oreal employees staring at you. This was a bit odd/uncomfortable at first, but as you continue to work on the case, you gradually forget about them. They have these people study you to make sure you're a good fit for L'Oreal. They emphasize fit a lot.

After the case, you have interviews. It was a 1 on 2 interview. The two people I interviewed with were a Financial Manager and a HR Representative. Majority of the questions were behavioral, but there were also case questions to see how you think.

Finally, you have to present the case to a panel of L'Oreal employees with your teammates. They emphasize how well you worked with your teammates and who took on leadership in the team.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about trying to cut costs on a L'Oreal Product?   Answer Question
    • A product is about to launch in 1 month after years of work. A marketer comes up to you and says you must delay the launch for a modification in the label. The modification will cost $1,000,000. What do you do?   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at L'Oréal USA in November 2014.

1. Phone Screening: asked about resume, strengths and weaknesses, 1 technical finance question
    2. 2 Day process - Dinner, Interview & Case Study: Dinner with HR and other applicants, finance/accounting case study with group then presented to panel of people, lastly had 2 on 1 interview.

The best interview experience I have had, allowed you to truly get a feel for what the corporation is about and see their corporate culture. It also allowed the applicant to see if we would like being a finance intern (with case studies and interaction) and allowed L'Oreal to see if we would be a good fit for their organization.

Interview Questions
    • Finance related questions were more difficult then behavioral. Overall interview was very conversational and welcoming.   Answer Question
    Got offer a few days later!

Taste of Finance 2014 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at L'Oréal USA in November 2014.

Due to the fact that I was not from a target school, I applied online for the Finance Internship position. After going through my application, I was contacted by L'Oreal to set up a phone interview. After passing the phone interview (or if you are from a target school the in person interviews), the top applicants for the position were invited to New York for the Taste of L'Oreal Finance Event. At this event, there were two series of interviews. There was a group case interview, checking how you work in groups, and then a two on one interview with a Human Resources Manager and then a Finance Professional from within the company. Overall, this was a fantastic interview process, L'Oreal made the Taste of Finance event very fun for participants and made employees accessible to answer questions.

Interview Questions
    • The business case was the most nerve wracking part of the process. In the group case, you are provided with a group of scenarios and are given a time limit to come up with your answers. Overall, the questions were not very hard but it was to see how students worked in teams.   View Answer
    It was an internship, so the salary was non-negotiable.

Marketing Interview

The process was not stressful at all and asked questions that established your knowledge of marketing while also being geared towards finding out if you are the right fit for the company.

Interview Questions
    • In the first round, none of the questions were especially difficult. They ask what motivates you? So just be sure to be very genuine.   Answer Question

IT Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at L'Oréal USA in October 2014.

Applied for a different position that I was suitable for, but due to my technical background was interviewed for the IT position. Everything was straight forward. The hiring manager told me he was going to get back to me after one week. After one week no reply via email or phone. I tried getting in touch, but was ignored. The IT department seems extremely unprofessional, just don't waste your time to get misled.

R&I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at L'Oréal USA.

Was interviewed on campus, 45 minutes of a purely behavioral interview. Fairly straightforward interview about behavioral things, it was mostly a gauge to see if you would be a good fit for L'Oreal or not. Company culture is probably the biggest thing they look for when they're hiring at a university. Recieved the offer about 3 months later, after a very brief over-the-phone second round interview.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a way in which you differ from the stereotypical engineer.   View Answer
    No negotiation for intern.

Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Florence, KY
    Anonymous Employee in Florence, KY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at L'Oréal USA in September 2014.

I was called by a temporary service about this position which was not advertized. The representative found my resume on monster.com and decided that I would be a good fit for this position and sent the resume over to Loreal. Loreal called the temp service and requested that I come in for an interview the following day which I agreed to. There were two interviewers present, the head of the HR department and the assistant QC Lab Manager.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were very difficult. It's just that there weren't very many of them and the responses that I got from the interviewers towards my answers were somewhat apathetic. The entire interview took less than 10 minutes. Also I noticed that both interviewers were looking at their cell phones (probably checking the time) when I was answering their questions. It's almost as if they had already selected a candidate but I was being interviewed as a curteousy to someone, of course that is purely speculation. It could be that they had someone with a completely different profile in mind altoghether at some point early in the interview process. I didn't get any other feedback about the interview other than that I was not being considered.   Answer Question

Director, Customer Care Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at L'Oréal USA in September 2014.

Couple of phone interviews, two in person interviews and one in New York. Did not make it past the first in person interview. You,will be asked to prepare a power point presentation over a personal or,professional accomplishment.

Interview Questions
    • Standard usual questions, I did have to prepare a power point over a personal or professional accomplishment.   View Answer