L'Oréal USA

Updated Jan 15, 2015
Updated Jan 15, 2015

3.1

Senior CHEMIST Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at L'Oréal USA.

2 phone interviews. 1 in-person interview with 4 people - one was HR rep, the rest were technical people. Lasted 90 minutes. They like "passion" and "enthusiasm" for "beauty". They like to play up science and beauty too.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult: Name something that you have shown leadership in.   Answer Question
    nope

Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at L'Oréal USA.

A little over the top with amount of interviews required & very slow. I had 2 initial phone interviews with HR, 2 in person interviews, then 3 additional phone interviews with other people in HR. All was finally said and done in 4.5 weeks. It would have been nice to meet the team prior.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected - typical questions regarding resume   Answer Question
    Negotiation was the fastest part. Do negotiate on vacation days, you'll be glad you did!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at L'Oréal USA in January 2014.

The interview process for marketing interns is a weekend long process called "Taste of L'Oreal." After a phone interview, chosen applicants are flown to New York for a super weekend. Night one involves listening to upper level executives discuss the company and its culture followed by a networking event. On day 2, interns are separated by their divisions of choice for a daylong case study assignment followed by a presentation to executives. Loreal employees are assigned to approximately 2 applicants each and observe and take notes all day on group work, strengths, weaknesses, reactions, etc. Day 3 is the formal interviews with 2 employees who monitored you group the day prior as well as an HR representative. The head of HR called 2 weeks later with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Was given a bottle of shampoo and asked how I would market it.   Answer Question
    No negotiating as an intern.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at L'Oréal USA in January 2014.

The process started out by attending 2 on-campus recruiting events where we heard about the company and the role in general--I was hooked from the first event. Submitted online application sometime in late October/November and heard that I was invited to Taste of L'Oreal event by Christmas. Event was held in January, and they flew prospective undergrad and MBA interns out to NYC offices for the interview weekend. First day was learning about the company and networking, second day was a team case study, third day was the interview. I didn't think it was particularly difficult--they want to see you are passionate about the company and their brands, and want to see if you are ready to have first-hand experience of marketing their brands. My interviewers were the employees who observed my team during our case study day, so I met them already and the interview was not so nerve-wracking. I heard back about 2 weeks later that I was offered a position and I accepted later that week.

Interview Questions
    • (Placed a bottle of shampoo in front of me) What do you think when you see this product and how would you market it?   View Answer

Summer Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at L'Oréal USA in January 2014.

Two interviews after applying online. They don't recruit on my campus, so I filled out the online application and was selected for a phone interview. The first interview lasted 15 minutes max, asked standard behavioral interview questions and why I wanted to work in the makeup industry.

Second interview was in New York, a 3-day weekend called "Taste of L'Oreal." The first night (Friday) is a networking reception and a presentation on different divisions within the company (and the one you applied to). All day Saturday is a group case competition (randomly assigned members) on one of the brands. Two employees stand around your group and observe the entire process. Its step-by-step, and they purposely give you last minute instructions before submitting the presentation to see how you work under pressure. You then present as a group.
    Sunday is the interview, with an HR representative and a marketing employee. They ask you behavioral questions again, over all the interview was 45 minutes. You also get a grab bag of product from the weekend.

Interview Questions
    • They show you a product (not from the division you're applying to) and ask you to describe it. They are looking to see if you think of it more from an Operational Marketing Perspective (one part of marketing), or from a product development perspective (DMI- the creative, development side of marketing).   View Answer
    No negotiation. Hourly pay is competitive for NY. I left the summer breaking even.

Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at L'Oréal USA in January 2014.

There's a pre-interview lunch, then a phone screen. I was then invited to the Taste of L'Oreal weekend, where there's a presentation; a day long case study, and on the last day there's a 2:1 interview. There's 1 from HR and 1 Marketer. It's really important to know the brands!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at L'Oréal USA in January 2014.

Applied online. Received a phone call interview. After the phone interview, I received an email inviting me to the recruitment weekend in New York. They paid for flight, hotel, everything. Involved a recruiting weekend with both undergrads and grads, separated by CPD, PPD, and Luxe. There was a cocktail reception the first night, a day long case study the next, and the interview on the last day. The events were fun and social, but competitive.

Interview Questions
    • The case study was difficult, and groups fell under time crunch.   View Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at L'Oréal USA.

applied online through their website and got an email 3 weeks later scheduling a phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • The woman asked me to go through my resume, to tell her what I thought was a trend in the beauty industry, how I would market lip stainer, and questions regarding excel proficiency.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

I had two interviews with two different women who both seemed very nice. I thought the interview went pretty well and waited about a week to send a follow up email. They never answered my email and never called to let me know that I didn't get the job. Very unprofessional. I would expect better from such a successful company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at L'Oréal USA in November 2013.

Applied online, heard back in 2+ weeks, 1st round group interview

Interview Questions
    • What specific brand would you want to work for in L'Oreal and why?   Answer Question