L'Oréal USA Interview Questions in New York, NY

Updated Aug 28, 2015

3.4

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at L'Oréal USA (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied for the job online and heard back two weeks later to schedule phone interview for the next day! The phone interview was very basic - just going over resume in depth. After speaking about all of my experiences the interviewer asked follow-up questions about the technological systems used on my previous jobs and explained the primary duties and functions of the HR internship program.

Assistant Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at L'Oréal USA (New York, NY).

Interview

I was asked to come in with about a week's notice, and was very excited to be meeting with 4 of the senior brand people (VP, SVP, etc.). The interviews were very long--I spent a total of about 5 hours in the office that day--and I was grilled about my marketing experiences, ability to work independently, my skills, etc. Some of the people I met with told me that L'Oreal tends to be very unorganized and that I need to be able to work autonomously and be able to shift gears at any given moment because of this lack of organization. One interviewer also pointed out that L'Oreal was great from the outside looking in, but was a "big monster" once you got in the doors.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my experiences in marketing, social media, product development, and familiarity with the skincare industry (It was for a brand in ACD). I was asked to give examples of how I worked autonomously, an example of a challenge I've faced in my current position that I was able to overcome, and examples of social media campaigns I'd run. One interviewer grilled me about how my education in Psychology was relevant to marketing (personally, I think there's a huge crossover in psychology and marketing), asked if I've worked with legal teams (L'Oreal has a very extensive legal department) and how much I've been involved in product development and clinical claims development, as well as how much experience I had working with retail. They were standard interview questions, but the atmosphere was very tense.   1 Answer

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at L'Oréal USA (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Phone screen with HR, in-person with HR, in-person with my manager. I applied online in early December, and lost hope when I hadn't heard back by the end of January. Got a call from HR in February and started the interview process then. Ended up accepting and starting my internship in March

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Why does L'Oreal interest you?   Answer Question

Taste of Finance 2014 Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at L'Oréal USA (New York, NY).

Interview

The process began with an online application, deadline end of October. I received an email probably less than a week later, setting up a phone screen. The phone screen was the next week and just a few days later I was emailed and invited to the the "Taste of L'Oreal" interview event. The Taste of Finance interview event was a 1 1/2 day even for a small group of candidates. We were introduced to various employees of the company, in both finance departments and from the HR team. Many had been with the company 10+ years, some were in their MDP program. The "interview" part consisted of a group case study, a presentation, and an individual interview.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a situation where you saw room for an improvement and implemented the change; Not necessarily a hard question to answer, but I was asked quite a few follow-ups on it and asked to speak further about certain points I wasn't as prepared for.   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation for an internship

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at L'Oréal USA (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

1. Phone Screening: asked about resume, strengths and weaknesses, 1 technical finance question 2. 2 Day process - Dinner, Interview & Case Study: Dinner with HR and other applicants, finance/accounting case study with group then presented to panel of people, lastly had 2 on 1 interview. The best interview experience I have had, allowed you to truly get a feel for what the corporation is about and see their corporate culture. It also allowed the applicant to see if we would like being a finance intern (with case studies and interaction) and allowed L'Oreal to see if we would be a good fit for their organization.

Interview Questions

• Finance related questions were more difficult then behavioral. Overall interview was very conversational and welcoming.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Got offer a few days later!

Taste of Finance 2014 Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at L'Oréal USA (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

Due to the fact that I was not from a target school, I applied online for the Finance Internship position. After going through my application, I was contacted by L'Oreal to set up a phone interview. After passing the phone interview (or if you are from a target school the in person interviews), the top applicants for the position were invited to New York for the Taste of L'Oreal Finance Event. At this event, there were two series of interviews. There was a group case interview, checking how you work in groups, and then a two on one interview with a Human Resources Manager and then a Finance Professional from within the company. Overall, this was a fantastic interview process, L'Oreal made the Taste of Finance event very fun for participants and made employees accessible to answer questions.

Interview Questions

• The business case was the most nerve wracking part of the process. In the group case, you are provided with a group of scenarios and are given a time limit to come up with your answers. Overall, the questions were not very hard but it was to see how students worked in teams.   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was an internship, so the salary was non-negotiable.

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

Talent acquisition manager called me with news of the position and we had a brief phone conversation about the position, my background, and my interest in Loreal. She asked me questions about my resume/experience and situation-based questions. Got an email a week later for an on site interview with the hiring manager and scheduled to go in and interview. I was interviewed by a panel of three people and they asked me questions about my resume, experience, why I was interested in the position, etc.

Interview Questions

• The questions were all fairly simple as they were mostly about my resume and past experiences   1 Answer

Summer Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at L'Oréal USA (New York, NY).

Interview

One of the women and one of the men in HR met with me at different times. They asked pretty routine questions but said they don't know if there are any open spots to fill. They were both very nice.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at L'Oréal USA (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

The interview process for marketing interns is a weekend long process called "Taste of L'Oreal." After a phone interview, chosen applicants are flown to New York for a super weekend. Night one involves listening to upper level executives discuss the company and its culture followed by a networking event. On day 2, interns are separated by their divisions of choice for a daylong case study assignment followed by a presentation to executives. Loreal employees are assigned to approximately 2 applicants each and observe and take notes all day on group work, strengths, weaknesses, reactions, etc. Day 3 is the formal interviews with 2 employees who monitored you group the day prior as well as an HR representative. The head of HR called 2 weeks later with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Was given a bottle of shampoo and asked how I would market it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiating as an intern.

Summer Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at L'Oréal USA (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

Two interviews after applying online. They don't recruit on my campus, so I filled out the online application and was selected for a phone interview. The first interview lasted 15 minutes max, asked standard behavioral interview questions and why I wanted to work in the makeup industry. Second interview was in New York, a 3-day weekend called "Taste of L'Oreal." The first night (Friday) is a networking reception and a presentation on different divisions within the company (and the one you applied to). All day Saturday is a group case competition (randomly assigned members) on one of the brands. Two employees stand around your group and observe the entire process. Its step-by-step, and they purposely give you last minute instructions before submitting the presentation to see how you work under pressure. You then present as a group. Sunday is the interview, with an HR representative and a marketing employee. They ask you behavioral questions again, over all the interview was 45 minutes. You also get a grab bag of product from the weekend.

Interview Questions

• They show you a product (not from the division you're applying to) and ask you to describe it. They are looking to see if you think of it more from an Operational Marketing Perspective (one part of marketing), or from a product development perspective (DMI- the creative, development side of marketing).   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Hourly pay is competitive for NY. I left the summer breaking even.