LA Fitness

Updated Nov 20, 2014

1.8

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Operations Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at LA Fitness in September 2014.

Got a phone call from Area manager for preliminary interview. After I was asked to go for a phone interview at the club. I went and waited a half hour for Regional Manager to call. Half way through I was told he needed to take care of something and would call me back in a half hour around noon. I didn't get a call back until 7pm at night. Was told that corporate would call, they never did. Same guy I did phone interview with called and requested an in person interview at the club. I went, he seemed busy not looking at me, on the computer as we interviewed, then said someone would call me within a week. Now, three weeks later someone was hired for the position. No one ever called me out of professionalism or respect for my time to say position was filled. Area manager was a typical "pill popper" will a typical arrogance. Company has no respect for employees, low pay for a lot of hours. I have a Master's degree in Athletic Admin, the pay rate for this job wasn't even close to a Master's degree's worth. 13/hr no benefits.

Other Interview Reviews for LA Fitness

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online – interviewed at LA Fitness.

I applied for the Operations Manager position online using Jobing.com. Within a week I received a call from a manger after 7pm on a Wednesday night; not recognizing the number and the time of night being outside normal business hours I let the call go to voice-mail.

The next morning I returned the call and was amazed at how rude and unprofessional both the young woman answering the phone and the manager that she was screaming to across the room were (she slammed the phone down on desk/counter and begin screaming to the manager, who yelled his answer back to her, so I heard the whole conversation, including where the manager told the employee to lie to me).

After hearing the exchange between the manager and employee I was done! I was no longer interested in the position or working the company.

I politely told the young lady I was no longer interested in the position and hung up.

Interview Questions
    • I did not get the chance to talk to the manger, he was hungover from the night before and didn't want to "deal with me".   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at LA Fitness in December 2013.

Video call at a nearby club for first round. In person interview with direct hiring manager (District Operations Manager) for second round. Phone interview with VP. It was a pleasant process and the hiring manager was down to earth, nothing too tricky. It was a more basic interview style.

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at LA Fitness in April 2012.

I had a brief telephone interview, and then the in-person interview was arranged.

Interview Questions
    • Interview was pretty standard...past experience, how I handled difficult members, how did I handle past due accounts. Salary ranges were discussed.   Answer Question

Salary was lower than I was willing to accept.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in National City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in National City, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at LA Fitness in December 2011.

They came in interviewed me asked my previous job duties and not very much more.I interviewed them more than they interviewed me.I was told same day I had the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Clair Shores, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Clair Shores, MI

I was employed with Bally's when LA acquired the company so I didn't really go through a formal hiring process. It was a VERY stressful few months after the transition but LA did a good job of trying to help the remaining employees through, there were minimal lay-offs.

Interview Questions
    • The DOM was really just trying to make sure I was still willing to stay with the company and that I had basic skills. They could not afford to bring in more staff immediately so they wanted to keep as many managers as possible.   Answer Question
    None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at LA Fitness in April 2009.

After sending in resume to district manger and following up with several more emails, I was finally called for interview. I went to a presale trailer and waited about 45 minuntes before being called in the office. (I later heard that making the interviewee wait is a tactic LAF uses to intimidate ) Interview lasted about 30 minutes with only the very basic and predictable interview questions asked. Shook hands and left.

Interview Questions
    NO NEGOTIATIONS. you are paid what they tell you, beware of any promises of future raises and / or opportunities for advancement. Never happened in my 5 years of employment there.