LA Fitness Personal Trainer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2014

1.7

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Personal Trainer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at LA Fitness.

Interviewed with the PTD on Tuesday and we went over work history, experience, etc.. He gave me a quick tour of the gym and said he'd call me later that day or the next few days. He didn't call right away so I followed up, twice. Finally got a call back from the GM asking for a second interview on Friday. I showed up and we went over some questions like the PTD asked then I was offered the job. Stayed and filled out paperwork and was ready to start right away Monday morning.

Interview Questions
  • The interview lasted like 15 minutes and he didn't ask anything difficult or anything.   Answer Question
I was just happy to have my dream job at that point I didn't negotiate.

Other Interview Reviews for LA Fitness

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Westchester, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westchester, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at LA Fitness in July 2013.

I was asked if I was interested in becoming a trainer after they became aware of my having a personal training certificate.

I was given the highest training position and was told I would receive a certain amount per training session only to find out that the pay is a bit less and that there is no guarantee that you will receive the commission you worked hard to earn because of the same shady Sales Training / Hiring Manager takes it for himself.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at LA Fitness in February 2013.

Very easy. Only took about 2 weeks

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult or unexpected questions. They basically sold me on the position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  West Chester, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Chester, OH

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at LA Fitness in October 2012.

My former company was acquired by LA Fitness. There was no formal interview process, just a multitude of digital paperwork. We were not adequately trained to use their software which was largely outdated & difficult for both employees and club patrons to use. The transition was abrupt and

Interview Questions
    • They never asked one! We were introduced to so many random managers with no local ties to our gym that you didn't know who you really worked for...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Woodbridge, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbridge, VA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at LA Fitness in October 2012.

I was known by the hiring manager as I had been a gym member there for two years.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Edina, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edina, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at LA Fitness in August 2012.

I would say lack of interview is more accurate. The person I spoke to was very casual. Instead of interview questions launched right into how the job worked. I was a little confused. I was dressed for interview but there were no real questions. The interviewer was actually more impressed with my credentials and said that was all they needed to know for hiring me. The interviewer actually said they would be pumping me for knowledge. I have limited credentials. They were offering a small amount per session, no hourly , no benefits. Which was fine being that this was my 1st trainer job. With no experience I knew I'd have to pay my dues.

I accepted offer at first but declined later. I was completely mislead about job, hours... As my 1st day approached I asked more questions. I realized I'd been built up for nothing. The job described to me correct but they had left out some very important information. . I would find out later that this company has a revolving door of trainers. Most clients complain about having diffrent trainer per session. It was also very obvious that this club didn't not value their trainers at all. The only people who got a decent pay were the sales people. The trainers do the work but get the smallest peice of the pie. Also when I went to workout at a La fitness they tried a very very weak hustle with my boyfriend. When entering he was my guest. They asked for his drivers liscense. They then explained they would hold onto it tell he left. Annoying but fine. When we were leaving and asked for it back they made some big show about how they couldn't find it. The front desk girl went and asked we're it might be. We were then lead to sales area. The guy asked how workout was and without letting us get word in launched into sales pitch . Only after making it clear. He was not interested did the drivers liscense resurface. I was furious. I was already having doubts about job and company. I feel I dodged a very bad experience. Terrible pay. Terrible company ,terrible sales tactics. It put a very bad taste in my mouth about industry in general..

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Parsippany, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Parsippany, NJ

The process took 1 week - interviewed at LA Fitness in April 2012.

The company recruiter contacted me about a position as a part time trainer and asked if i would like a part-time job (essentially). I kindly agreed to speak someone in regards to doing this something part time. The interview was easy if you have experience for the job. The manager i spoke with barely could formulate a sentence to ask a simple question and just spoke about her self and how great this gym is. I interviewed for the position of personal trainer, however she kept asking over and over again "are you sure you do not want to do sales?" I made it very clear that I was applying for just the position in which i was being recruited for. They offered me the job, and ran all my information through the computer. A few days go by and they told me they just need to clear it through corporate to get another trainer in there. (why they have to clear it is BS considering CORPORATE called me directly in relation to this exact position in this exact location.) I waited, and got the call back 3 days later saying that the director of personal training will contact me when my start date is. I waited for two weeks, and nothing. I've called 3 times, left messages, and even visited the location to see what is going on and I was completely avoided. This may just be the most unprofessional interview process I have EVER gone through, for a simple part time job. If you are a trainer, save yourself the hassle and if you are going to work at a commercial gym you are better off working at 24 hour fitness or Retro.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cherry Hill, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cherry Hill, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at LA Fitness in December 2011.

The interviewing process was very easy! All you need to show them is a good resume with personal trainers certification. They ask you a couple question about working out and if you've ever been trained anybody before and if so, what improvements did they make. They also ask you basic question you should know like how many calories make a pound of fat...3500 for those who dont know. All in all the process is very simple and easy.

Interview Questions
    • The only difficult questions would be questions about the human body BUT being certified or with a degree, you should have no trouble answering any questions. Another thing to know, they set you up with clients that day and watch you train to see how you are as a trainer and what special techniques you have that will keep their business running smoothly. Now when I say "special" i dont mean outrageous and dumb like making your clients walk up the steps on their hands. Keep it simple and entertaining.   Answer Question
    $6/client is their thing. You're not getting anymore than that throughout your time there unless the company in whole decides to raise the pay for us personal trainers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at LA Fitness in June 2010.

I liked the guy I interviewed with. The only thing that frustrated me was he kept me waiting for a long time (interview was scheduled to start at 1 and I sat there until almost 1:30) and also he was so busy he had to keep answering the phone and leaving in the middle of the interview. I was offered a job, and am still considering it, but all the bad reviews online are scaring me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Naperville, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at LA Fitness in May 2010.

I never had an interview, I walked in and got hired

there was none, they said here is your wage and it never changes, even with more experience, degrees, certifications...its all the same

Worked for LA Fitness? Contribute to the Community!