LEVEL Studios Interview Questions

Updated May 12, 2015

2.7

Front-End Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at LEVEL Studios (San Jose, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Interview was pretty simple and straightforward, and was catered more to culture fit. There were some basic HTML, CSS, and JS questions, but none that were too difficult. If you use the CSS pre-processor Sass, it will definitely help you in your interview. The team was super friendly and did not throw any curve balls. Basically, there was no white-boarding, just talking about certain concepts followed up with some culture fit questions.

Interview Questions

• Q: What is a closure in JavaScript? Q: What are CSS Mixins? Q: Tell me about a time when you had a conflict and how did you handle that conflict?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at LEVEL Studios in October 2014.

Interview

Two interviews: one on the phone and one on campus. It took about three attempts for the interview to finally get scheduled because the hiring manager wasn't responsive to emails from her recruiting coordinator. When the first phone interview finally happened, she called unexpectedly because she confirmed one minute prior to our call. During the interview, she was walking around and it was difficult to hear her. She asked the basic questions about the life cycle of a project and prior experience. For the second interview on campus, the same questions were asked, and it seemed strange. I was repeating myself. And another off-putting behavior, during the interview she was texting and answering phone calls. Unfortunately, she didn't listen well enough and was unfocussed. Truly unprofessional in every sense.

Interview Questions

• What are the steps in your process from concept to deployment?   Answer Question

Interactive Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at LEVEL Studios (San Jose, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Manger called late and 1st thing said,"I'm going to make this as quick as possible". I could hear that she was rushing somewhere. She is very rude & pre-occupied. Felt like an obligation interview for when she needs to prove they gave a diverse applicant pool a chance. Very disappointing.

Interview Questions

• She asked the basics as I could here that she was walking and she made sure to let me know she was in a rush. She didn't have my resume in front of her and asked me to go through my experience.   1 Answer

Senior Director Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at LEVEL Studios (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Hiring process was very through and very professional

Negotiation

it was pretty transparent with quick resolution

Front-End Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at LEVEL Studios (San Jose, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

I had a phone interview first. During the phone interview I was asked some basic HTML/CSS/JS questions. Then I had a phone call and was invited to onsite interview. Onsite interview was really positive experience. It was more conversational than technical.

Recruiting Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at LEVEL Studios (El Segundo, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

I applied directly on their website for this entry level position. A month later i was contacted by their recruiter saying they are ready to move with the interviewing process. We set up a phone interview and the recruiter never called. I called their # and emailed leaving messages. The recruiter got back to me on Monday, after an entire 3 days passed. During the phone interview, I was asked to talk about my past positions, relevant work experience, if I had experience sourcing, etc. Really standard and we set up an in person interview. As soon as we got off the phone, he emailed me saying, sorry he was going to be out of the office so can we change the interview date. I was beginning to see how unprofessional the recruiter was, but was accommodating and of course, agreed to another date he was available. To cut a long story short, I interviewed with the Recruiter and 2 other people on the team. They were all nice and humorous. Reminded me kind of the vibe from The Office. I thought the interview was super easy, they were really laid back. I ended the interview on a really good note and the original recruiter said he would arrange for me to take a phone call with their main boss on the East Coast. Then the recruiter, of course, has never gotten back to me since even though I've sent follow up emails and called about the "said phone call." Is it just me, or is this recruiter completely incompetent? Anyway, Level Studios left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I suggest if this company interviews you and has difficulties communicating and arranging phone interviews, don't bother wasting your time.

UI Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at LEVEL Studios (San Jose, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

The interview process was absolutely great, whatsoever. Basically, they saw my Online portfolio / works, gave me a quick phone interview, and decided to have a face-to-face interview as soon as possible. I went there and interviewed with three people, and I felt it was fun and interesting. Everyone seemed nice and relaxed, and their interview questions were the typical Web Developer questions like, "How do you stay on top of web technologies", and "what do you see the future as, regarding the web". It actually turned into more of a conversation then a question nd answer format, which I was sued to. After the interviews I was on my toes because I was excited about working there, but wasn't sure if I answered all the questions perfectly. They said I would need to take a User Interface test which consisted of making two mini web pages, using javaScript, CSS and HTML. It ended up being a breeze and although they gave me days to finish it, I was done in a day! I was actually stalling because I didn't want to turn it in too quickly, but when I did, I was hired. I didn't have any doubts at this point as I was impressed by the culture of LEVEL, as well as the people. It really felt like a place I would love to work at.

Interview Questions

• Let's say we asked you to create something on a web site that you've never even heard of, or thought was possible. It can be anything. What would you do? I won't say anythng more then that, just tell me what you would do.   1 Answer

User Interface Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Luis Obispo, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at LEVEL Studios (San Luis Obispo, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

Both interviews that I went to were pretty informal. After going over some of the work I had done before, the rest of the interview process seemed to be focused on learning more about my personality and whether or not I would be a good fit for the company.

Interview Questions

• Nothing about the interview stood out as being over difficult of unexpected.   Answer Question

Senior Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Luis Obispo, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at LEVEL Studios (San Luis Obispo, CA) in January 2008.

Interview

Interview process moved quickly. The associate creative director screened me one-on-one, then brought me back in to meet with a larger group. The group that interviewed me was made up of the entire design team (creative director, three art directors, a motion designer) and a technologist. The interview was smooth, fun, and most of the questions were about my portfolio and design theory. Following the interview, they gave me a design test, and paid me for my time spent on it.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to scope a marketing campaign for my favorite movie, including tactics for advertising the movie in Israel and China. The entire team left the room and gave me five minutes to scribble notes. This seemed to be an attempt to see how I performed under pressure, and what my thought process might be, since clearly nobody can brainstorm US, Middle East and Asia advertising campaign tactics in five minutes.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I named my price, and they met it.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at LEVEL Studios (San Jose, CA) in January 2008.

Interview

phone interview then one on one interview