LOVEFiLM

LOVEFiLM Interview Questions

4.0

Interviews for Top Jobs at LOVEFiLM

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at LOVEFiLM.

CV submitted through agency.
    Online Numerical Reasoning test.
    Face to face competency based interview with hiring manager and another colleague.
    Second stage interview with presentation and discussion with executive.

Interview Questions
    • Explain what statistical significance is and why it is important.   Answer Question

Perl Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Acton, London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Acton, London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at LOVEFiLM in December 2008.

First stage was a Perl programming test completed from home with a one hour window enforced by the recruiter. I had some issues with the recruiter not sending the file on time, they blamed an email error. This meant I was a little more stressed than usual when working on the task.

The task itself was a fairly simple Object Oriented Programming test, It was not expected that the software would be completed inside one hour, and I was not able to complete it. However the work I had completed must have been good enough for them to take the time to interview me.

I initially heard back that they were no longer looking to fill the Perl developer position, but a few weeks later it seems they had a new Perl development position and I was asked to attend an interview.

The office in Acton was easy to find on the London Underground.

On Arrival I initially met with a senior software manager who then introduced me to two developers, one working with Perl and the other with Databases, who would take me through the first stage of the interview.

Initially we went through the usual Perl interview questions such as Why do you like Perl? What's your favourite CPAN Module? etc. Then we discussed the test code I had submitted. They ran through a few of the issues I had not managed to fix before submitting and picked up a few points where I had made a couple of errors that I had not picked up.

I was told that they were looking for a candidate strong with Perl and MySQL experience, I was set a quick paper based SQL test, with some tricky solutions (Hint: Not your standard Join required) and then was asked to discuss what sort of database setup would be required by the LOVEFiLM website. I managed ok on this I think, it was certainly helpful that I was already a LOVEFiLM customer and aware of their website.

After this interview the senior manager returned to interview me alone, He took me on a brief tour of the ground floor (I didn't see any development going on - all of that was happening on the 1st floor which I could see from the reception area.) Then I was told that I had done well in the other interview, if I hadn't done well I would not be talking to him! - Great I thought don't blow this now.

I was quizzed on various development methodologies at previous places of work and my former jobs and felt it was going OK, but I perhaps let my self down when discussing time-scales as I didn't really give a good answer when he asked how I assesed how long a piece of work would take.

After the interview I felt very positive and felt certain I would here positive feedback. however the next day I was told that the senior manager did not feel I would be a good fit for the team. I was told that he does not change his mind about decisions like this. Personally I was hurt by this but took it in the light that there was nothing technically I could have done better, and next time I would take the opportunity to prepare better for my next interview.

Interview Questions
    • Can you describe the four or five main database tables required to implement a website like LOVEFiLM   View Answer