LSI Firmware Engineer Interview Questions

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Firmware Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at LSI in January 2013.

Two rounds of phone screenings, followed by on-site interviews. The on-site interview process consisted of a an intro by the HR, followed by technical interviews by engineers and managers. You are expected to be an expert C programmer (you should know difference between static and non-static objects, stack and heap allocation, things like "volatile"), and an expert in firmware and device drivers. Storage experience (SCSI, RAID) helps.

Interview Questions
  • A question about cache coherence protocols.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for LSI

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at LSI in March 2012.

Initially it was a telephonic interview. I was contacted two weeks after the first interview for an onsite. The telephonic interview consisted of questions from C. Pointers, arrays and structures and bit manipulation. After that was an onsite interview, It was a really long process. Started at 9:30 am and finished at 5:30 in the evening. It was a lot more in detail. Pointers, arrays, structures, unions. Bit manipulation, assembly language, embedded and real time systems were part of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • how do u pass Variable number of arguments in C?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milpitas, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at LSI in December 2011.

It started with recruiter scheduling phone interview which consisted of some questions on C programming and coding tasks to be done via screen sharing mostly- stress on linked lists . Being a person not knowing about storage my interview mostly relied upon C programming as they needed some one with strong C skills
    Followed with onsite interview.. must say the arrangement was wonderful. It consisted of 4 1:1 interview with different levels of SEs and lunch interview with the Manager . Realized how can people test you just on C still with such variety of questions , it was good experience at the end

Interview Questions
    • how could memory non-alignment affect the memory operations how to solve it ?   Answer Question
    • write programs to add ,subtract a node or find the nth node from last of linked list ?   Answer Question
    • question related to registering and time stamping memory as nodes for memory management   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milpitas, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at LSI in June 2011.

I applied for a firmware engineer position in their RAID controller department, through their career website. They contacted me in about 2-3 weeks .

Phone interview was fairly easy and straight forward. Questions about my current job and some questions on C ( volatile, interrupts etc ) and also on Cache management ( write through/ write back, Non cacheable memory etc) . At the end of it the interviewer was convinced enough to invite me for an in person interview at their site in Milpitas , CA.

The onsite interview was from 10 am to 4.30 , with about 6 people ( all Indian ). Only a little interest was shown by most interviewers on my current work experience . Most of the interview was on coding in C and on algorithms. The topic range was also very wide and in some cases very specific to the work that they do .

Most of the questions were on pointers ( function pointers , call back ptrs , pointer to const , volatile pointer, wild pointer etc ) and data structures ( Link list - delete a node, reverse , find Nth node, find middle , find loop etc. and Trees - I have not worked much on hierarchical data and so could not answer that ). Also questions on dynamic memory management ( prototype of malloc, free ) , sorting algorithms , code compile process ( linker, assembler, compiler ) , RTOS concepts ( scheduling, interrupts , cooperative,preemptive etc ) . There were also questions on string manipulation generic functions in C ( sprintf, strcmp etc ).

The easy ones were questions on bit operations ( set ,clear, XOR ) , use of bit fields , storage classes in C , SAS protocol ( which I have experience in ) , inline functions versus macros ,enum , about tools I use at my current job ( emulators ( diff between onchip/ soft breakpoints) , analyzers etc ) .

I was able to answer a lot of those . But, I guess they required some one with even more experience in coding ( which they had not mentioned in the job description ) . I personally think that I was a bit unlucky here that I got a tough panel . My advice to fellow job seekers would be to study the areas mentioned here and you should be able to land the offer.

My impressions on the company were not that great. Office building and the cubicles/offices inside looked a bit old . I have to agree with another reviewer in this forum that I felt like the company did not have enough cash flow for all these little things that go a long away in affecting employee morale. Also , this view point is limited to the building I visited. I heard that the other locations outside CA are a bit better off and have a better work/life balance and company culture. Also the demographics was overwhelmingly Indian, as admitted jokingly by the hiring manager who was also one. And yes I am one too. I guess that is true for most bay area companies.

Interview Questions
    • Questions on prototype of dynamic memory management functions like malloc and free in C. Issues that can occur ( fragmentation , memory leak etc ). And use of static and auto variables in this context.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at LSI in February 2011.

First round phone interview with the hiring manager who wanted to understand my career goals etc. Basically asked me to summarize my work ex.
    Then an onsite interview, where I was again asked to describe my work to their team(3 members) and the various tools I used in the projects. Then a 1:1 interview with one of their engineers. He asked questions on "volatile" keyword, interrupts, co-operative scheduling etc. Then another team member showed me the lab, and explained the work they do in the labs. Finally, another round with the manager.

Interview Questions
    • Apart from work ex, what other interesting projects you did at college?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rochester, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at LSI in November 2010.

Had a phone interview asking about my college projects and also they described the work their team does

Interview Questions
    • Basic embedded C questions ,concepts like interrupt handling etc and mostly questions on everything from my resume, be thorough about all the details of work you mention in it.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate as it was my 1st job offer and I didnt want to screw it up.

Firmware Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at LSI.

what is Volatile memory-
    what is Non volatile memory- ex: ROM, Flash memeory, hard disk
    OS Concepts
    Context switching
    Preemptive scheduling

Digital Designing concepts- How you will turn NAND into inverter

What_is_the_difference_between_malloc_and_calloc

Inline functions
    Difference b/w structures and unions

Where are the local, global, static, auto, register, extern, const, volatile variables are stored?

Interview Questions
    • what characteristics of the probe you will see when you are trying to measure sensitive load ?   Answer Question

Worked for LSI? Contribute to the Community!