LSI

14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineer Interview

Milpitas, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at LSI in January 2014.

Interview Details – Interviewed at their location. Met with director for half an hour. Presented talk on my work for one hour to members of the team, followed by questions on the work. Met with 2 team members at at time, talking to 5-6 pairs throughout the day. Included some telephonic interviews with teams working at different locations. Some technical questions, background material etc. Lots of time to question them about the work.

Interview Question – Question related to extending work.   Answer Question

Senior Manager Marketing Interview

Milpitas, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at LSI in April 2013.

Interview Details – Culture seemed collaborative and low key...relaxed. Interviewed with 3 levels of management and all seemed positive about the environment, leadership and company.

Interview Question – It appears you could do the job of the hiring manager...   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Milpitas, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at LSI in April 2010.

Interview Details – I received an email to come in for an interview. The process to me seemed very casual as I had to talk to a regular employee as well as the manager. You get an introduction to what the company is about and a walk through the company.

ASIC Design Verification Interview

Milpitas, CA

I applied online - interviewed at LSI in December 2012.

Interview Details – Applied through on-line, and got a phone call from HR after 3 days. The phone interview was about 50 mins. Interviewer spoke very fast with a strong accent. I had to ask repeating the question several times.

Interview Question – How to synchronize a clock in two different time domain?
Hold/setup time violation and how to fix?
Questions from timing analysis
  Answer Question

Senior Hardware Engineer Interview

Milpitas, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at LSI in October 2012.

Interview Details – Have met 4 people, director, team manager, two engineers peers (one senior architect, one senior in detail technical)

Interview Question – 5 years down the road what you see your career in the future.
Where did you hear this opportunity?
  Answer Question

ASIC Design Engineer Interview

ASIC Design Engineer
Milpitas, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at LSI in April 2012.

Interview Details – The questions are focused on the resume about my research experience and course projects, and some very fundamental digital design questions, like setup/hold time violation, verilog coding. I met 4 ppl there and each of them spent 30 mins.

Interview Question – How to realize a communication between different time domain?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Milpitas, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at LSI in March 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process went really smooth. I came in and did one-on-one interviews the first day. The interviewers stayed on schedule and didn't make me wait. The office was not too impressive but good thing the company in Milpitas is getting a new building and moving to a better one in San Jose.

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate but didn't because I was okay with what they offered.

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
Milpitas, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at LSI in August 2011.

Interview Details – There was an initial telephonic screening. Then there was 1:1 interview with the Hiring Manager which was more of a run through the Team and Company details. Later it was a panel interview which was more of a discussion than question and answers. That part was really great for a recent college graduate. The final offer took time as executive leadership was on tour and they could have been more attentive and quick in closing the offer process

Negotiation Details – There was a good amount of negotiation about the joining bonus, The final outcome was neutral with 50% acceptance.

Firmware Engineer Interview

Firmware Engineer
Milpitas, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at LSI in December 2011.

Interview Details – It started with recruiter scheduling phone interview which consisted of some questions on C programming and coding tasks to be done via screen sharing mostly- stress on linked lists . Being a person not knowing about storage my interview mostly relied upon C programming as they needed some one with strong C skills
Followed with onsite interview.. must say the arrangement was wonderful. It consisted of 4 1:1 interview with different levels of SEs and lunch interview with the Manager . Realized how can people test you just on C still with such variety of questions , it was good experience at the end

Interview Questions

• how could memory non-alignment affect the memory operations how to solve it ?   Answer Question
  • write programs to add ,subtract a node or find the nth node from last of linked list ?   Answer Question
  • question related to registering and time stamping memory as nodes for memory management   Answer Question

Firmware Engineer Interview

Firmware Engineer
Milpitas, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at LSI in June 2011.

Interview Details – I applied for a firmware engineer position in their RAID controller department, through their career website. They contacted me in about 2-3 weeks .

Phone interview was fairly easy and straight forward. Questions about my current job and some questions on C ( volatile, interrupts etc ) and also on Cache management ( write through/ write back, Non cacheable memory etc) . At the end of it the interviewer was convinced enough to invite me for an in person interview at their site in Milpitas , CA.

The onsite interview was from 10 am to 4.30 , with about 6 people ( all Indian ). Only a little interest was shown by most interviewers on my current work experience . Most of the interview was on coding in C and on algorithms. The topic range was also very wide and in some cases very specific to the work that they do .

Most of the questions were on pointers ( function pointers , call back ptrs , pointer to const , volatile pointer, wild pointer etc ) and data structures ( Link list - delete a node, reverse , find Nth node, find middle , find loop etc. and Trees - I have not worked much on hierarchical data and so could not answer that ). Also questions on dynamic memory management ( prototype of malloc, free ) , sorting algorithms , code compile process ( linker, assembler, compiler ) , RTOS concepts ( scheduling, interrupts , cooperative,preemptive etc ) . There were also questions on string manipulation generic functions in C ( sprintf, strcmp etc ).

The easy ones were questions on bit operations ( set ,clear, XOR ) , use of bit fields , storage classes in C , SAS protocol ( which I have experience in ) , inline functions versus macros ,enum , about tools I use at my current job ( emulators ( diff between onchip/ soft breakpoints) , analyzers etc ) .

I was able to answer a lot of those . But, I guess they required some one with even more experience in coding ( which they had not mentioned in the job description ) . I personally think that I was a bit unlucky here that I got a tough panel . My advice to fellow job seekers would be to study the areas mentioned here and you should be able to land the offer.

My impressions on the company were not that great. Office building and the cubicles/offices inside looked a bit old . I have to agree with another reviewer in this forum that I felt like the company did not have enough cash flow for all these little things that go a long away in affecting employee morale. Also , this view point is limited to the building I visited. I heard that the other locations outside CA are a bit better off and have a better work/life balance and company culture. Also the demographics was overwhelmingly Indian, as admitted jokingly by the hiring manager who was also one. And yes I am one too. I guess that is true for most bay area companies.

Interview Question – Questions on prototype of dynamic memory management functions like malloc and free in C. Issues that can occur ( fragmentation , memory leak etc ). And use of static and auto variables in this context.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for LSI? Contribute to the Community!

LSI Videos

LSI – Why Work for Us?

Your future. Accelerated. Our employees design products that touch virtually every bit of data shared or stored across the Internet. LSI storage and networking solutions are found in more than 60% of wireless base… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at LSI interview questions and advice in Milpitas, CA. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by LSI employees and interview candidates.