LUSH North America

Updated Dec 14, 2014
Updated Dec 14, 2014

2.6

Sales Ambassador Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at LUSH North America.

Hiring fair- Very open, almost felt like a party. Went around in a circle talking about ourselves, very fun and upbeat. Wasn't expected to know a ton about products, as long as you were open to learning and showed genuine interest. They look for someone who embodies the "We believe" mission statement overall, with strong emphasis on ethics and full faith in Lush products' quality and freshness.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of person are you when talking to a stranger?   View Answer
    Not much negotiating.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at LUSH North America.

I went in shop and asked if they were hiring. One of the managers told me about the hiring party the next day and I was told to bring my resume and cover letter. I worked pretty hard on my cover letter and I think thats what got me so far along. During the floor trial I did pretty well but I was up against a group of people that were either related to someone on staff or great friends with them. We split into three groups and we were called one by one to do the interviews. I was called absolutely last and I was only interviewed for two minutes because they ran out of time. I was emailed the next day and asked to come in for a floor trial. I assumed the floor trial would be with a manager or the manager in training but I was pawned off on an employee and paired with a girl who was friends with the trainer. This girl had not even gone to a hiring fair but knew the right people. A few days later I was offered the position and I turned it down.

Interview Questions
    • You are supposed to know quite a bit about ingredients.   Answer Question

I ultimately decided that this was not the place for me.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at LUSH North America.

Group Interview, was very interesting. Different types of girls. A lot had prior knowledge of products, some girls barely knew about the products. The staff didn't seem to care, they were very helpful and understanding if you didn't know the names of the products or what they did.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked if I had any prior knowledge on Lush. Basic interview questions   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at LUSH North America.

okkkkkkkk so it all starts with a group interview. mine was about 20 people. you'll be so nervous but i promise it's actually fun. bring your resume! even if you dont usually put yourself out there, DO IT. make sure all the people running the interview hear you and make jokes, be social as heck, etc. they pulled us each away for one on one interviews (like 10 mins) (asked questions like what would you say to a customer instead of "how can i help you?", why should you get this job?, easy questions really) we stood in a big circle and socialized with one another at first then they asked us what we already know about lush. we split up into groups of like 10 and under, and watched an employee do a demo (a demo is like showing someone a product and using it on them and washing it off with those big silver bowls they have) then each person in the group does it. they want you to remember all the ingredients and be very personable. then you switch and learn about more products through a demo. it really was fun and easy, i swear its nothing to worry about! then we got back into our big circle and they asked us to sell one thing on us. i picked my shoes. the key is to determine the customers needs first then find a product that matches it. like "whats your style like?" and i was selling my doc martens and the lady said "eclectic" and i told her the ways doc martens are eclectic. they had us all fill out availability sheets and we went home.
    a couple days later they call me and ask if i could come in for a second interview. it was just me and the manager and it was really nice and easy. we talked and simple questions were asked. like at a previous job how did you handle a conflict? i cant remember them all but i would remember them if they were super hard. she invites me to a "culture hour."
    the culture hour for me was walking around the store with the manger learning about the products and she would do a demo on me and i would do it back to her. it was super fun as well. then she offered me the job. it was a fun process and everytime i was so nervous but it really was actually laid back and fun.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at LUSH North America in October 2014.

The interview process began with what they called a "hiring fair". After selecting the résumés they were interested in, seven of us were called to the hiring fair. This lasted almost two hours. Once we were let into the store, we were asked to speak to another interviewee for approximately five minutes. When those five minutes were up we had to describe what we'd learned about the interviewee we'd spoken to and say why we think they should be hired. Then we had to role-play with another interviewee and take turns playing either the role of customer or salesperson; we did this twice, first with a product of our choosing and then with a bath bomb. Finally, each of us was interviewed individually by the location manager. Overall, it was very much what you would expect from an interview at Lush. The more positive, bubbly, and fun you can be, the better. However, if you're not the type to be the loudest and show the most overt happiness, don't worry. Just be yourself, turn on your own brand of charm, and treat it like you would any other interview. I'm a pretty quiet, relaxed person and had no trouble getting an offer.

Interview Questions
    Because I applied for a seasonal position, I didn't try to negotiate as I thought it kind of pointless.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington, CT

I applied online – interviewed at LUSH North America in October 2014.

So it was pretty awesome. We were split into groups where we had to do demo's on each other. It's really important to know your products! You really have to be outgoing in order to get the job. The store itself is a pretty hands on environment!

Interview Questions
    It paid above average in my state. So I was fine about.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at LUSH North America in October 2014.

My interview wasn't as bad as some other Lush interviews I've heard about. I responded to a "job fair" posting on the specific store's facebook page and they pretty much let anyone attend the job fair without seeing resumes or anything. The job fair took place at the store an hour before opening. Three of us showed up, and they explained a little to us and then we split up.

It was basically a circuit: one applicant went to one salesperson, the second to a different salesperson, and the third to the manager. After about 15 minutes we switched. The first saleswoman I met showed me how to essentially "demo" the products on someone and then I was supposed to sort of copy her in return (the products were Angels on Bare Skin Cleanser, Eau Roma Water, and Celestial Moisturizer). This was in order to see how well you could interact with customers and also how quickly you could learn the products and key phrases. I know the products well so that wasn't an issue, but you have to be fully comfortable with touching people, massaging their hands and arms, asking them questions, etc. The saleswoman was friendly and calm and didn't put too much pressure on me.

The second saleswoman did the same thing as the first but with different products (Flying Fox shower gel, Each Peach and Twos a Pair massage bar, and Vanilla Puff dusting powder). This woman wasn't as relaxed and personable as the first. I asked her some questions about the products as she was showing me how to demo them and she seemed reluctant to answer. We had extra time so I did the same demo twice, once on each arm. This saleswoman told me about the way Lush sales work and said that when you demo something on someone, you should say something like "want me to get one and put it in your basket?" Lush pushes their salespeople to be pushy.

Finally I met the store manager, who was friendly, personable, and relaxed. She glanced at my resume (which I brought with me) and giggled at my cover letter, which I purposely made comedic because I heard Lush employees appreciate an original cover letter. Other than that, she didn't seem to really care about the resume. She told me that she had never worked in retail before Lush and worked her way up to store manager quickly. This was sort of the traditional interview and but it was more of a friendly conversation than anything.

The manager told the three of us applicants that she planned on hiring at least two of us but she would talk to her saleswomen first before making the final decision. I thought it odd she say something like that which would alienate the one person who didn't get the job... And then naturally I didn't get it, but I don't think both of the other applicants got it either. I believe I did quite well in the interview with the manager but I don't think I was as comfortable with the hands-on aspect of the demos. We were all a bit shy and working at Lush you really have to be bubbly and confident. The store continued to post ads for seasonal positions for another month after my interview.

Product Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at LUSH North America.

I went to a open house day. We got our name tags, filled out a questionarie about availability, where you heard about the open days, if you can stand long hours and some other questions. After that we were could talk to one of the employees about the charity pot and then we had to wrap a box to get the feel of the job we would be doing. You could also make a foam bomb and chat with the employees. Then everyone had a short interview where you were asked why you see yourself at Lush, what is a good manager to you and some other simple questions.

After a week they emailed me that I am invited to a second group interview to see the manufacture. We wrapped some gifts and had a short interview where they asked us why we want to work for Lush and when we are available.

The next they I got an email that I got the job :)

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at LUSH North America in September 2014.

I handed in my resume & got called in about a month later for a job party. The atmosphere was fun & welcoming, but they're on aggressive sales techniques were something I couldn't get a handle on. I'm a bit shy, and this is definitely a job you need to be very outgoing for. It's a fun environment, but it can border on the "immature".

Interview Questions
    • If you had to ask someone if they needed help, how would you do it without using those words?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at LUSH North America in September 2014.

Lush approached hiring foe seasonal sales associates by hosting a job fair. You are required to wear black and white. You are given a half piece of paper and told to write your name, availability and why you want to work for Lush. Once everyone is together, the manager tells everyone all about the company and Lush's mission. Everyone then gives their name and one thing they are passionate about. Then one of the team leads takes the group and discusses each and every category of product while the manager calls people one by one for a quick interview. I was asked why lush, do I have past sales experience and did i ever work sales during the holidays.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult questions. However, since I haven't worked sales in years, I had to make a connection between my main job as a teacher aide to working sales during the holiday season.   Answer Question