LUSH North America

Average Difficulty
57 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Baltimore, MD

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at LUSH North America in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online, and was called a few months later by the manager of the Lush store that I had applied to. They gave me several dates when I could come to interview, and I picked the one most convenient to me. When I showed up, there were several managers from other LUSH stores that I recognized, as well as three other girls interviewing for the same position as me. They had us introduce ourselves, write down out availability, and demo several products. We were also called out one by one to do a very quick individual interview, just basic questions about LUSH and your personal ethics. Simple and easy.

Interview Question – "We are going to be located in a very high end area. How will you deal with any customers that seem to be very rude or snobby?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered $10.00 starting, which I took right away.

Sales Ambassador

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at LUSH North America in June 2014.

Interview Details – I did my first interview at a hiring party, as Lush does for all their interviews. I saw they were hiring on their twitter account and signed up to go in the store. A week later I went to the interview, and there were maybe about nine other people there. Four people were running the hiring party: two sales associates, the assistant manager, and the manager. I'm a regular customer at my local store so the assistant manager and one of the sales associates already knew who I was. The hiring party was fairly low-key-- we did some basic introduction stuff, split up into two groups, and then rotated between doing hair care demos and massage bar demos.

I'm already super familiar with nearly all of Lush's products just by being in the store so frequently and by owning a lot of their products, so I stood out more among everyone else. However, I was pulled back when it would have been my turns to do the demos, so I never actually got to do them. The assistant manager pulled us back one by one for a brief interview with her and the manager. I felt I faltered a bit during my individual interview with the manager and I also have a tendency to repeat myself when put on the spot, and she didn't seem like she liked me all that much to begin with. She was polite, but the assistant manager seemed to like me way more than the manager did. After my interview I scheduled my culture hour for the next day.

I came back that following day to do my culture hour with the assistant manager, where I demoed between three to five products on her and tried to sell them to her as if she were a customer. Her and I both felt that I excelled at my culture hour, and she was impressed with how much I knew about the product ingredients and also pleased with my selling tactics. She really liked me and didn't feel I had anything to correct. I felt I did really well at my culture hour so that made me feel better about the process. I was told to expect a call by the end of the week.

Well, two weeks went by and I heard absolutely nothing and I did not receive a call. I thought I saw a girl who was at the hiring party starting out at the store a week after the event, which made me nervous, but I held out another week before going to see what was up. I popped into the store to return something, and I was talking to one of the sales associates that knew me when I asked in passing how the new hires were going. She told me it was going well, and said she was "surprised the manager didn't hire me." I never would have even found out unless I asked! The manager was in there too and she refused to even look at me or acknowledge I was there, and she was cold to me during my culture hour too. My interview experience was positive but I'm annoyed with the manager and the fact that they didn't call me when they directly told us to expect calls.

Interview Question – Tell me about a problem you solved at work or at school.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Studio City, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at LUSH North America.

Interview Details – Huge group which I didn't expect. It was on a rainy morning and the store was packed to the point where we couldn't move easily. The first thing we were required to do was dance. Really? It was difficult to introduct ourselves to the employees, let alone the manager. There were people who knew Lush inside out, and there were people who didn't. It sucked because many had potential, including myself, but we weren't in the "clique" because we weren't familiar with the products. We had to rotate, get to know a product under a minute, then sell it. At the same time, the employees took notes and it got intimidating. The manager didn't seem nice, just in it to have somebody to sell as much as they can.

Interview Question – DANCE!   View Answer

Sales Ambassador

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at LUSH North America.

Interview Details – I applied about 2 months ago, so for me it was a long process. I finally was contacted about a month ago to attend a hiring fair. There were about 14 applicants there. We broke into groups of two and had to briefly get to know each other. We then had to introduce the other person to the rest of the group. After that, they broke us up into groups of about 5. We went to 3 stations where the staff demonstrated a product and then we each took turns demonstrating on each other. The staff took notes etc. we were also called over to have brief interviews with the assistant manager (the manager was out of town or something). At the end of the night, they told us they would contact everyone and some people would be asked to come back for a Culture Hour.
So about a week or two later I got an email with the date and time of my culture hour. When I got there I was told it would be between 30mins and an hour. I actually met with the store manager though. It was similar to the hiring fair. I had to pick a product and attempt to sell it to the assistant manager. We then went through LUSH selling steps etc. she then demonstrated on me, and then I had to do it back to her. We had another chat after to go over what I had done correctly. They seemed satisfied and I didn't have to repeat anything, we then popped out to the back and had another little interview/chat. They explained what would happen next and asked if I had any questions.
They had several more culture hours to do, so they said they would let everyone know in about 7-10 days.

Interview Question – There wasn't anything I didn't find difficult or unexpected, although if you are like me, the group hiring fair can be a little intimidating and awkward. The big tests thing, and they tell you this, is to be yourself. I would add, that even if you are uncomfortable, still smile and try to have fun. You might surprise yourself with how much you already know about the products etc.
during my one on one interview, I found the most difficult question to be " what do I aspire to be?" It seems a bit of a loaded question, but answer honestly.
  View Answer

Paramus, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at LUSH North America in September 2010.

Interview Details – I handed my resume in to manager after purchasing a few products from him & having a genuine interest in the company. Called me in to a group interview the next day. He asked us all a series of questions and then proceeded to the the second interview right after.

Interview Question – If you could have any superpower what would it be?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is a second interview where they ask that you wear black and white clothing with closed toed shoes as if you were going to work. They then ask you to demo products on some of the current sales associates and see how you take coaching from other team leaders. The offer usually happens a day or so after this interview.

Senior Sales Ambassador Interview

Senior Sales Ambassador
Saint Louis, MO

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at LUSH North America in August 2013.

Interview Details – I saw a posting on craigslist asking for people to submit resumes, so I went to the shop to drop it off. When I got there the lady working looked it over and did an on the spot mini interview and demonstration. She demoed the Dream Cream body lotion and then asked me to do the same to her. Afterwards she told me to come in a few days later and talk to the manager. I didn't know it was an official interview but it was okay.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at LUSH North America in July 2012.

Interview Details – Generally group interviews, you don't have to show up too professional for your interview, just as long as you look cleaned up and orderly. Obviously need to show an immense passion for the company and its products, and need to assert that you're open to learning and taking constructive criticism. They're pretty lenient when it comes to overall experience, you just need to make sure that you show that your'e trustworthy and will be an effective asset to their team.

Interview Question – Take something from your purse/pocket and effectively explain the benefits of this item without listing its most obvious use (i.e. a key can unlock a door)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I initially applied for a seasonal position during Summer and didn't get it, but was contacted a few months later and offered a seasonal position over the phone, and accepted the offer.

Very Easy Interview

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Seasonal Sales Associate
Trumbull, CT

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at LUSH North America in October 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was not only a great ice breaker, it was very informative of the company's values and properly discussed what was expected.

Interview Question – Are you aware of or know any information about the founders of Lush?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at LUSH North America in March 2014.

Interview Details – I attended a hiring party. It was a lot of fun. We learned how to do demos and were told to perform them on the other job candidates. I thought I did very well but I wasn't called back for another interview.

Interview Question – If you had to greet a customer but you couldn't say the words "how may I help you?", what would you say?   View Answer

San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at LUSH North America in March 2014.

Interview Details – I heard about a new Lush shop opening closer to my home and applied for it online in January. I got a response on March first inviting me to attend one of their hiring fairs. I was told to bring along my reference paper with me to the hiring fair.

At the beginning of the hiring fair, we all introduced ourselves then the manager split us up into 3 groups and assigned each group to an employee. The employees led each group to a different station: massage bars, lip scrubs and lip balms, and body lotion. The employees would demo the product on us, then each of us would have to repeat and do the same on each other. Whoever did well were given a star sticker which we would put on our name tags. After each person got a turn to demo the product, we were to switch to the next station until we did all three stations. While this activity was going on, the manager would walk around to watch how we did on our demonstrations. After we were done, we were told that we would be receiving emails as to whether or not we got invited to the second interview.

I received an email two days later from the manager, letting me know that I was invited to a Culture Hour. The Culture Hour involved me and another interviewee doing demos on each other with a product we chose. After we both did our demos, the manager showed us how she wanted us to demo using charity pot and ocean salt scrub. We were to then demo the charity pot and ocean salt scrub on each other. After that, she chose a different product (for me it was dirty soap and for the other interviewee it was charity pot) for us to sell to her and the other interviewee. After the Culture Hour, we were told that we would receive a call from her letting us know if we got the job or not.

She called me two days later and told me that I got the job! The interview can seem a little daunting since it will involve you massaging a product onto a stranger's arm; so if you aren't comfortable with this, Lush might not be the job for you. Besides that, one just needs to be very quick on their feet with responses and just be yourself!

Interview Question – There was no difficult question, it was just a matter of showing your love for the product and being genuinely interested in working for Lush.   Answer Question

Worked for LUSH North America? Contribute to the Community!