LUSH North America Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

2.6

Sales Ambassador Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at LUSH North America.

Seasonal/Holiday Hiring Party- store posted on Facebook that they were opening positions for seasonal hires. I applied and was called and set up into one of the hiring parties they were holding. During the party we were asked questions about our personalities that related to the products (pick a color of EB that you like best and why) and asked to do demos on each other.

Many people have suggested to be bubbly and outgoing to get a job here. I suggest you be yourself. If you aren't a bubbly/outgoing person, that does NOT exclude you from working at Lush. If you are comfortable in your own skin and how you express yourself, that will come through. Less expressive people are a great thing to have because they tend to relate to less expressive customers- a well run, successful shop is highly likely to have a mix of personalities. So be yourself and let the managers of the store decide if you are a good fit based on that. If you fake your way through an interview and are hired based on a false persona, you will not be happy or successful in the job and it won't last long.

I would suggest wearing all black or a combo of black and white to your interview. This is the basic outfit of a Lush associate and shows that you already fit the role and own at least one outfit that you can work in.

Do a bit of study on the company before the interview. Familiarize yourself with the "We Believe" statement and a couple of Lush's stories and how story telling relates to the products.

Expect to do a demo. They aren't looking for perfection here- mostly they are looking for how comfortable you are doing the demo, and how well you relate during it. You must be comfortable touching others to successfully do this job and they must determine that before you are hired. Don't worry- if you are hired, you will definitely improve at demos!

Interview Questions
    • Pick a color from the EB color wheel (this was back when they still had this). What does this color mean to you?   View Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at LUSH North America.

I was in the store to find out if they were hiring. The floor leader told me that they were and that there would be a hiring party the next evening. When I got there, there were about 10-12 other people there. We went down the line and introduced ourselves and asked to talk about something we're passionate about. Afterwards we went to different sections of the store and the employees describing each section asked for a volunteer to try to show the correct way to do a demo (e.g. asking open ended questions the recomending and trying the product on the "customer.") During the demos, the manager pulled one person at a time from the group to have a short one-on-one interview. Overall it was really relaxed and easy and I was offered a job about two weeks later.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buford, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buford, GA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at LUSH North America in February 2015.

I submitted a resume online through their website and three or four weeks later received an email from the manager of the location I applied to inviting me to a hiring party and advising me to arrive on time in an outfit that met dress code requirements. The hiring party was a very fun, upbeat, relaxed atmosphere--the assembled staff played music and participated in an ice breaker game (if you were a LUSH product what would you be?) the manager informed us of the expected hours, pay rate, dates that must be reserved for training, and described the tasks expected of the job. Anyone who decided the job wasn't for them was free to leave at any time. There were four of us. We were split into two smaller groups each assigned to an employee who demonstrated a product "demo" (in-store customer sample). After observing the demo we were each asked to do it ourselves, either on the employee or on our fellow interviewee. We did this with multiple products; be ready to get wet and soapy. Throughout the demos the manager came in and out, taking out one person at a time for individual interviews. I got a phone call that afternoon inviting me to the second interview, which they call "Culture Hour". Culture Hour was much more challenging. I went in a few days later and did a one-on-one "LUSH experience" roleplay with the manager; the first time I was the customer, the second I was the sales ambassador. The sense of fun was gone and the whole experience was a little rushed because of customers in the store. I was expected to "reflect" the customer's energy and reveal their personal traits which I could then match up to products. Afterward the manager and I discussed how I did (not very well) and she suggested I come in for a second try. I did the same thing the next day with the store trainer and did better; after the roleplay the trainer read my rating (1 = poor, 4 = excellent) off the list of criteria an interviewee is rated on during Culture Hour. They not only rated energy matching but also setting a customer up with a "regiment" of products, demoing all the products on them in one demo rather than several, how well you could reveal details about the customer's life ("reveal their needs"), and how well you used the brand's specific vocabulary. However, they didn't give you any kind of training on these rather specific tactics before you did "Culture Hour", which seems unfair to me. I was told I'd hear back by the end of the week; I didn't hear back until 9 days later. My overall impressions were that the employees are fun people and the attitude of the store is positive, but the brand is demanding and its expectations of untrained interviewees may be unrealistic. The people at this particular location seem positive and focused on self-improvement, so I hope it will be a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at LUSH?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your experience at your previous job.   Answer Question
    • If you couldn't say the words "how are you", what would say instead to greet a customer?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation during the interviews; the only opportunity was during the one on one interview during the hiring party; I tried to negotiate potential hours to juggle my second job, but the manager said she didn't foresee any problems and assumed what problems did arise would be handled when they came up. If you intend to negotiate, be prepared for flat-out rejection; these guys are tough.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at LUSH North America in February 2015.

This was a hiring party, which consisted of about 11 of us girls, we had to demo products on each other, the lip scrubs and charity pot. It was a very fun experience and I wasn't nervous at all, I know lots about their products, but still wasn't offered a position, still don't know why as I thought I made a good impression!
    But they wanna see how you would talk to customers, how you get a sale, how you treat a customer, if you can hold up a conversation or not and how you demonstrate how to use the products on them!

Holiday Hire Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at LUSH North America.

I was on the Lush site in my local mall and saw on Facebook that they were looking for holiday hires. I emailed my resume and requested an interview. I was invited to the holiday hire "party" which took place about two weeks later. The party was a hands-on group interview. The team showed us different sales floor techniques and we had to demo on each other. We also had to answer some traditional interview questions individually.

Interview Questions
    • They asked what is your weakness, which is always a hard question.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. They called me about two weeks after the group interview and made an offer and told me about the pay and perks and I accepted!

Store Manager Interview

The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at LUSH North America in January 2015.

Plan to wait and wait and wait and wait then have about 4 phone interviews then an in shop interview. This last part was pretty useless you ask the candidate to observe and say how you'd better run the business with little to no info on how the company handles customer service. You must also do this during a sat business.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions of sorts a lot about how they are organic and vegan. And if you had a passport.   Answer Question

Sales Ambassador Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at LUSH North America.

Hiring fair- Very open, almost felt like a party. Went around in a circle talking about ourselves, very fun and upbeat. Wasn't expected to know a ton about products, as long as you were open to learning and showed genuine interest. They look for someone who embodies the "We believe" mission statement overall, with strong emphasis on ethics and full faith in Lush products' quality and freshness.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of person are you when talking to a stranger?   View Answer
    Not much negotiating.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at LUSH North America.

I went in shop and asked if they were hiring. One of the managers told me about the hiring party the next day and I was told to bring my resume and cover letter. I worked pretty hard on my cover letter and I think thats what got me so far along. During the floor trial I did pretty well but I was up against a group of people that were either related to someone on staff or great friends with them. We split into three groups and we were called one by one to do the interviews. I was called absolutely last and I was only interviewed for two minutes because they ran out of time. I was emailed the next day and asked to come in for a floor trial. I assumed the floor trial would be with a manager or the manager in training but I was pawned off on an employee and paired with a girl who was friends with the trainer. This girl had not even gone to a hiring fair but knew the right people. A few days later I was offered the position and I turned it down.

Interview Questions
    • You are supposed to know quite a bit about ingredients.   Answer Question

I ultimately decided that this was not the place for me.

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at LUSH North America.

Group Interview, was very interesting. Different types of girls. A lot had prior knowledge of products, some girls barely knew about the products. The staff didn't seem to care, they were very helpful and understanding if you didn't know the names of the products or what they did.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked if I had any prior knowledge on Lush. Basic interview questions   Answer Question

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at LUSH North America.

okkkkkkkk so it all starts with a group interview. mine was about 20 people. you'll be so nervous but i promise it's actually fun. bring your resume! even if you dont usually put yourself out there, DO IT. make sure all the people running the interview hear you and make jokes, be social as heck, etc. they pulled us each away for one on one interviews (like 10 mins) (asked questions like what would you say to a customer instead of "how can i help you?", why should you get this job?, easy questions really) we stood in a big circle and socialized with one another at first then they asked us what we already know about lush. we split up into groups of like 10 and under, and watched an employee do a demo (a demo is like showing someone a product and using it on them and washing it off with those big silver bowls they have) then each person in the group does it. they want you to remember all the ingredients and be very personable. then you switch and learn about more products through a demo. it really was fun and easy, i swear its nothing to worry about! then we got back into our big circle and they asked us to sell one thing on us. i picked my shoes. the key is to determine the customers needs first then find a product that matches it. like "whats your style like?" and i was selling my doc martens and the lady said "eclectic" and i told her the ways doc martens are eclectic. they had us all fill out availability sheets and we went home.
    a couple days later they call me and ask if i could come in for a second interview. it was just me and the manager and it was really nice and easy. we talked and simple questions were asked. like at a previous job how did you handle a conflict? i cant remember them all but i would remember them if they were super hard. she invites me to a "culture hour."
    the culture hour for me was walking around the store with the manger learning about the products and she would do a demo on me and i would do it back to her. it was super fun as well. then she offered me the job. it was a fun process and everytime i was so nervous but it really was actually laid back and fun.