LUSH North America Interview Questions

Updated Sep 10, 2014
Updated Sep 10, 2014

2.6

Product Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at LUSH North America.

I went to a open house day. We got our name tags, filled out a questionarie about availability, where you heard about the open days, if you can stand long hours and some other questions. After that we were could talk to one of the employees about the charity pot and then we had to wrap a box to get the feel of the job we would be doing. You could also make a foam bomb and chat with the employees. Then everyone had a short interview where you were asked why you see yourself at Lush, what is a good manager to you and some other simple questions.

After a week they emailed me that I am invited to a second group interview to see the manufacture. We wrapped some gifts and had a short interview where they asked us why we want to work for Lush and when we are available.

The next they I got an email that I got the job :)

Sales Ambassador Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at LUSH North America in March 2014.

Very interactive group review ("hiring party") was had where we learned about a few products, demonstrated to each other how to use them in pairs, and basically role played what it would be like to be a sales ambassador. During this time, we were all pulled aside one by one and given a more intimate interview where we discussed work history and why we should be hired. It was a really fun interview process and I left smelling great!

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at LUSH North America in August 2014.

I applied online and a week later received an email from the shop manager inviting me to the hiring party. I attended and first we put on nametags and got an introduction from the shop manager and the sales associates. We then saw a bath bomb demonstration. There were 9 applicants including me and we were broke up into 3 groups of 3. The interview was demoing products on other applicants in front of 2 sales associates. There were 3 stations: massage bars, toners and Charity Pot hand an body lotion. After each demo, the sales associate would give you a sticker that you would place on your nametag. At the end, we turned in our nametags, and would be hearing from the shop manager in a few days.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 1 week - interviewed at LUSH North America.

Lush likes to do hiring parties, which is great if you feel like groups take the pressure off, not great if it's a huge group. I applied for a job and got the e-mail to come to the hiring party a few days later. I and some others get there early and notice a LOT of people are gathering outside this tiny store. By the end of it, there are over 40 of us, and this is not during seasonal hiring. Now Lush stores are pretty small, so cramming us all in is already difficult. We break off into groups and do some fun product demonstrations. Their method of seeing how you work is actually pretty good. Know a little bit about the products beforehand, memorize what they're telling you, and demonstrate a product the way they show you. That's not bad at all and the staff there to observe you are very friendly and helpful and attentive. The problem is there just aren't enough to go around to really see you perform. It doesn't even matter how assertive and confident you are if you can't be seen, so big group interviews are definitely a gamble. Also: they don't usually look for a lot of people to hire. So out of the 40 that show up, they may take 10 and divide them between stores. The whole process took about 2 and a half hours. If you go to a hiring party be prepared to be much more assertive than you usually are at interviews and be prepared to kiss more butt. They lean much heavier on knowing about the founder and product origins than product trivia, which is a little weird but understandable. Know both, though.

Store Manager Interview

Pretty standard-- you submit a resume and cover letter and then have a phone interview with a rep from Human Resources. If you're an external hire, you'll go to the nearest Lush store (not always the one you're applying to manage) for a floor trial with a member of Retail Support. You'll be asked to work side by side with the RST member, give coaching to employees, and then will have facetime with the RST member who will ask you more details about the experience and talk about the specific shop's needs.

Interview Questions
    • As an internal hire, it was slightly different for me, but one tough part was I was expected to have a lot of data about my store's performance-- sales versus target, labor, waste, etc. Also to speak to projects I instituted in the shop and their success-- concrete, tangible results. Doing coaching with a team I'd never worked with before was challenging, but ultimately not that hard, as I was used to coaching my own team.   Answer Question

Any Sales Position Interview

I applied online - interviewed at LUSH North America in March 2014.

LUSH often interviews in what they like to call "hiring parties". At these parties, you essentially compete with other applicants for the desired position. The actual interview part is minimal. You about 5 minutes max in a one-on-one interview situation. The rest of the party includes working with the other applicants to learn to sell products the LUSH way. During this time, they evaluate your ability to take directions and your flexibility. They also watch how you interact with potential customers and generally conduct yourself

Interview Questions

I declined the position because I desired a full-time position at a higher wage.

Lush Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at LUSH North America in July 2014.

They called me and asked me to come to a hiring party. I was going to college in a month and had applied at the lush closest to my college which was about two hours away. I also told them that prior to my interview. The hiring party was fun and I was called back for a culture hour which lasted 15 minutes and made me nervous that it was so short. They said they'd call me within five days and let me know if I got the job or not. By the fifth day I hadn't heard anything so I assumed I didn't get the job. You'd think they would at least call and tell me I didn't get it but no. I am still sitting here wondering a week later.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at LUSH North America in May 2014.

I applied online, and was called a few months later by the manager of the Lush store that I had applied to. They gave me several dates when I could come to interview, and I picked the one most convenient to me. When I showed up, there were several managers from other LUSH stores that I recognized, as well as three other girls interviewing for the same position as me. They had us introduce ourselves, write down out availability, and demo several products. We were also called out one by one to do a very quick individual interview, just basic questions about LUSH and your personal ethics. Simple and easy.

Interview Questions
    • "We are going to be located in a very high end area. How will you deal with any customers that seem to be very rude or snobby?"   Answer Question
    They offered $10.00 starting, which I took right away.

Sales Ambassador Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at LUSH North America in June 2014.

I did my first interview at a hiring party, as Lush does for all their interviews. I saw they were hiring on their twitter account and signed up to go in the store. A week later I went to the interview, and there were maybe about nine other people there. Four people were running the hiring party: two sales associates, the assistant manager, and the manager. I'm a regular customer at my local store so the assistant manager and one of the sales associates already knew who I was. The hiring party was fairly low-key-- we did some basic introduction stuff, split up into two groups, and then rotated between doing hair care demos and massage bar demos.

I'm already super familiar with nearly all of Lush's products just by being in the store so frequently and by owning a lot of their products, so I stood out more among everyone else. However, I was pulled back when it would have been my turns to do the demos, so I never actually got to do them. The assistant manager pulled us back one by one for a brief interview with her and the manager. I felt I faltered a bit during my individual interview with the manager and I also have a tendency to repeat myself when put on the spot, and she didn't seem like she liked me all that much to begin with. She was polite, but the assistant manager seemed to like me way more than the manager did. After my interview I scheduled my culture hour for the next day.

I came back that following day to do my culture hour with the assistant manager, where I demoed between three to five products on her and tried to sell them to her as if she were a customer. Her and I both felt that I excelled at my culture hour, and she was impressed with how much I knew about the product ingredients and also pleased with my selling tactics. She really liked me and didn't feel I had anything to correct. I felt I did really well at my culture hour so that made me feel better about the process. I was told to expect a call by the end of the week.

Well, two weeks went by and I heard absolutely nothing and I did not receive a call. I thought I saw a girl who was at the hiring party starting out at the store a week after the event, which made me nervous, but I held out another week before going to see what was up. I popped into the store to return something, and I was talking to one of the sales associates that knew me when I asked in passing how the new hires were going. She told me it was going well, and said she was "surprised the manager didn't hire me." I never would have even found out unless I asked! The manager was in there too and she refused to even look at me or acknowledge I was there, and she was cold to me during my culture hour too. My interview experience was positive but I'm annoyed with the manager and the fact that they didn't call me when they directly told us to expect calls.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a problem you solved at work or at school.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Studio City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Studio City, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at LUSH North America.

Huge group which I didn't expect. It was on a rainy morning and the store was packed to the point where we couldn't move easily. The first thing we were required to do was dance. Really? It was difficult to introduct ourselves to the employees, let alone the manager. There were people who knew Lush inside out, and there were people who didn't. It sucked because many had potential, including myself, but we weren't in the "clique" because we weren't familiar with the products. We had to rotate, get to know a product under a minute, then sell it. At the same time, the employees took notes and it got intimidating. The manager didn't seem nice, just in it to have somebody to sell as much as they can.

Interview Questions

Worked for LUSH North America? Contribute to the Community!