La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology

Very Easy Interview

Research Technician II Interview

Research Technician II
La Jolla, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology in February 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted resume via email directly to the person hiring. Contacted via phone to gauge initial interest in position and set up in-person 1on1. Direct in-person interview with the lab Principle Investigator, which included basic background questions on technical proficiencies.

Interview Question – What are your future plans, and what type of time commitment can you make for this position.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The offer was significantly less than my recent previous job at a different geographic, but it was in the mid to upper-mid range for salaries offered in the area for this position. I did not negotiate, though I felt that there was an opportunity to, because with the request of a higher salary with be a greater demand from the position to include higher levels of stress and increased responsibilities. Personally, I didn't move to La Jolla for increased levels of stress and I am happy with my choice.

Instructor Interview

Instructor
La Jolla, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology in August 2010.

Interview Details – present the slides

Interview Question – not much   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology in December 2010.

Interview Details – I have to mention that it's a highly lab-to-lab dependent process so my experience can't speak for others. Mine is pretty pleasant and it took about less than four weeks from application to getting the offer.

Interview Question – Mostly just scientific questions and not really unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much to negotiate as the package for postdoc is pretty fixed.

Research Technician I Interview

Research Technician I
La Jolla, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology in July 2009.

Interview Details – For a Research Technician I position right out of college after a Masters degree:
1.) Would be contacted by a HR person once your application has be screened and selected for an interview
2.) confirmation of an interview date
3.) Meet with the prospective direct supervisors
4.) Very informal interview which requires you to explain your previous scientific work/projects and technical expertise that you have acquired so far
5.) At the second interview you are required to meet with everyone from lab and then they make a decision.
6.) The interview process various widely between different labs

Interview Question – The questions were more general about previous work experience and future plans.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The tricky part is when you negotiate the salary. People often tend to low ball themselves thinking it is safer. But it ends up slowing down your growth and salary increases. So do a lot of research on salaries before you negotiate.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
La Jolla, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology in March 2010.

Interview Details – Generally, it's more about science and there is not too much can be said here. You have to be well prepared in your slides and tend to ask challenging questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Good

Worked for La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology? Contribute to the Community!