La-Z-Boy

2.2

Design Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington Hills, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington Hills, MI

After applying, I received an email from the hiring manager about a week later, asking for a interview. We set up a date and a time. I entered the store and was very pleased by the products. There were several basic application documents to fill out and I was interviewed by the store manager. The whole process was relaxed and pleasant. Within 45 minutes after the interview, I was offered for the position.

Interview Questions
    • General interview questions, although no questions regarding interior design knowledge.   Answer Question

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at La-Z-Boy in May 2014.

I found the job ad on Craigslist for an office clerk/sales associate at a La-Z-Boy retail store and sent my email with a full page cover letter and my resume. The cover letter explained that I don't have much experience in either office/sales work, but that this is the kind of work I'm trying to leave my current job for, and I explained my reasons why. A woman called me the next day to ask a couple of questions, just confirming my current job and when I can start, and set up an interview for the next morning.
    The interview took place in one of the retail store's living room set ups on the couches, which was a comfortable setting. The interview had a casual and friendly tone to it. I did not interact much with the other staff but they were wearing professional office attire and seemed busy with phones, etc.
    She told me that I was a great fit for the position, she liked my relaxed energy. She was negotiating my wage and would call in a couple of days. It has now been a week with no word. She really put me under the impression that I was in.

Interview Questions
    • She was very kind and didn't throw any unexpected or difficult questions my way, she mainly just gave me information and let me reveal information on my own. Though she did ask me why I'm leaving my current job.   View Answer

Part Time Sales Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at La-Z-Boy.

casual and friendly

No negotiation

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at La-Z-Boy in February 2014.

It was pretty easy, the first interview was the usual basic questions, tell me about yourself, why do you want to work for LaZBoy, what are your strengthes and weaknesses...etc
    The second interview was about meeting other managers and speak with them, talking about my skills and how it's a good fit for this position, at the same day of the second interview i was hired and then got the paper work for the drug test.

it's a non-negotiable position

Sales Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at La-Z-Boy.

not to difficult, basically they call you for interview and they are basic questions. Management is really friendly and they make people comfortable during interview.

none

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at La-Z-Boy in October 2013.

Interview was pretty laid back, met with the market manager and he seemed real interested in my sales background, had concern about working weekends he said no problem they would work with me, 8 months later found out that was flat lie. Was not told 3/4 of what the job entailed, unboxing accessories, cleaning duties ( They do not have cleaning service, employees are required to)

Interior Designer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at La-Z-Boy.

My hiring process was quick and easy. I applied for the job on CareerBuilder.com on a Sunday morning. No more than two hours later, the store manager asked me to come in for an interview. I interviewed three days later and was offered the job about a week after that.

La-Z-Boy tries to make interviewees feel at ease. They'll sit you in comfortable furniture in the store, offer you a bottle of water, show you around, etc. They interview from an HR form and take a lot of notes. Typically, you are interviewed by a team at the store and then by the HR manager at a later date.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were very difficult. Be sure to tell them you can SELL. The bottom line is that's what they want to hear. They want a SALES PERSON with good taste, not a designer.   Answer Question
    I just accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in O'Fallon, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in O'Fallon, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at La-Z-Boy in June 2013.

I applied online through a third party job website. The next day I received an email from the Store Manager asking to set up an interview with her. The first interview took an hour and a half. She talked to me about the job and what I'd be doing. Then asked me about myself and my background. She wanted me to meet with the Designer, but she was busy at the time so we scheduled another time for me to come back and talk with her. This second interview lasted about 45 minutes, and she had a list of questions that she needed to ask me. After this interview I received a call from the Sales Manager and we briefly talked on the phone and she asked me more questions. I later came in to meet with her another time which only lasted 15 minutes. This whole process took me a month to get hired at this company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

I applied online – interviewed at La-Z-Boy in June 2013.

Multiple interviews, first usually with Store Manager, sort of creepy older guy with HUGE ego, then with owner's wife, sometimes both together, LOTS of motivation questions, they need to reveal if you are willing to rely on commission only income, base draw is only $800 gross per pay period. So cheap they only pay twice a month instead of every two weeks. BEWARE, and ask them to tell you truthfully HOW MANY employees the have burned thru in just the past few years. If they say fewer than 100-200 for 6-8 positions, then RUN. Hugely detail oriented owners and manager, they will deny your commission and keep it themselves if you make the slightest error, VERY HIGH PRESSURE SALES.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask how motivated you are, and if you are comfortable working on a commission or goal-based income stream. Beware, they will use unrealistic sales earnings of one or two employees who are reaching those sales dollars thru favoritism.   View Answer
    no negotiations accepted. The base salary of $800 is non negotiable, and if you don't meet sales goals within 1-3 months you are gone unless you are an attractive woman and flirt with the manager (or more)...yech.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at La-Z-Boy.

Applied online. Got phone call for interview same day. Next day went into interview, didn't think I had a chance because I don't have sales experience. They said they would call me the next day, I never got a call. I called them and was told to start on Monday.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were really asked. Only- "Tell me about yourself" I explained my passion for interior design.   Answer Question
    None. I said I wanted $9.00 an hr, they give $10.00 an hr