Lab49

Updated Nov 14, 2014

3.4

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Lab49 in April 2014.

Interview process was quite technical. It started out with the Lab49 recruiter herself asking a series of technical questions with 2 choices. Then came 2 phone interviews where the interviewers asked the usual multithreading concurrency framework, object oriented programming and spring questions. The 2nd phone interviewer asked me to design a class which would execute parallel tasks in a non-blocking fashion. The 3rd interview was on skype with a senior staff engineer from Lab49. This was more design oriented and the interviewer was not very patient with me and seemed to judge me from a pre-conceived bias. He barely asked me questions for 20 minutes and abruptly ended the interview although I did answer most of the questions correctly.

Interview Questions
    • Design a non-blocking executor framework which handles multiple tasks concurrently.   Answer Question

Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lab49 in April 2014.

1.Recruiter asked me few multiple choice questions and later she scheduled a phone screen
    Got a call from UK and asked about my automation skills and framework details and it was went well.2nd level also phone screen interview.Somebody from NYC called me and it went well. Later scheduled me 3-4hrs of interview at onsite interview
    1.They gave me some 30 min test on basic programming skills in Java,Automation skills,SQL and Linux
    2.automation engineer had taken 30 min discussion and drilled down my automation skills and frameworks which I was working on
    3.Another person (I guess he is a techno PM) gave me few scenarios in real time and asked me to prepare the plan of execution
    4.Finally QA Global head took 20 min and asked me all my previous experience on Agile/Automation and process.

I like the whole process of discussion .

Java Developer Interview

Terrible. Idiot apparently didnt realize that Java developer != Java Jepordy....oh...and the next time you try and trip someone on concurrency....you might want to actually know something about concurrency.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you asking questions about how exactly the jvm handles memory management? Why was this important? Was this a Java dev interview or an interview for a C/C++ developer?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lab49 in March 2014.

Initial Phone Screen by Recruiter followed by technical phone screen. Recruiters are good and nice to talk with. Then came the Tech interview. He called me 10 mins later and then started talking all nonsense - we don't have managers here, we work for only 50+ billion dollar companies, all are seniors here & what not. Finally 10 mins he asked some basic java questions which he also not sure when I responded with a question back he continued saying ok lets leave it... Finally it ended & I was relieved. Bad experience

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult question.. Interviewer was a difficult person :)   Answer Question

Front-End Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Lab49 in March 2014.

I was contacted via LinkedIn.

The recruiter was fairly enthusiastic about the company and largely sold me on the idea of working for them. Then, came the ten or so multiple choice trivia questions that she asked.

They seemed to be satisfied with my answers, so they scheduled me for a phone interview. However, approximately 5 minutes before the phone interview was scheduled to begin, I received an e-mail stating that they'd need to reschedule.

Having conducted many technical interviews at my current job, I know that asking trivia questions, even as a gateway to a more advanced technical phone screen is not a good idea since you will get too many false positives and too many false negatives. Not only that, being asked to reschedule, 5 minutes prior to the interview is also very unprofessional and I've never been in the position where I've had to do such a thing to a candidate whenever I've been scheduled to conduct an interview.

Java Developer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lab49 in February 2014.

The company found my profile in LinkedIn, the vacancy looked interesting so we decided to start the interviewing process. The process itself consist of several parts: at least two technical phone interviews, one Skype interview with a Senior Stuff Member.

Technical interviews were quite professional: the first one was about OOP, Java Basics(collections, structures), the second one was about Threads, non-blocking algorithms, Design Patterns and how to apply them, we also designed a hierarchy of objects for a given business domain.

Everything was really promising and enjoyable by me as a Java Developer because until the third interview I hadn't got any weird, odd and unsuitable questions as we do in many cases having interviews around.

So the third interview was with a Senior Stuff Member, who I didn't get the position of, but after that interview I received a very short answer that they are not going to proceed with my candidacy without any explanation why. All questions were about me become a Java Developer, have I ever heard about other Java-based languages and if I used them, about projects I participated in and which problem I faced there. So it was just a chat between two people.

I feel frustrating and don't really satisfied with the result because they didn't clarify the purpose of decline.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Lab49 in February 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter from this company who was impressed by my on-line profile. The recruiter strongly praised the company. I decided to give a try. The interview process started with two technical interviews by phone. Almost all questions were about Java Core and Multithreading. They were quite average. I didn't have any problems with them. Then I was given a programming task. That task was intended to check Multithreading skills, which I successfully performed. So far so good. The next interview, which turned out final, was with an inadequate person, who in around 15 mins interrupted me with phrase if I had any questions for them and stopped the interview. After that I got an excuse email that I didn't pass the last interview. So, I very much doubt about the competence of that person who made the decision obviously without regard to my huge technical background and previously successful interviews. In conclusion I want to mention that all this embarrassment took 1 month.

Interview Questions
    • All technical questions were quite average (in my opinion).   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lab49.

Contacted via Linked in. Short phone interview, than 2.5 hour in person interview with 2 managers, then 40 minutes with a VP.

Interview Questions
    • Detailed, in depth end-to-end software design questions. Designing the front/back end for a mobile application.   Answer Question

Got a better offer elsewhere

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Lab49 in December 2013.

Great HR team. They were probably the smoothest, quickest HR to deal with in my entire life. That part they have nailed down. Interview process included a couple of phone interviews, on-site interviews. Questions included were general .net framework questions, some threading questions, a little bit on data structures. On-site interview included some questions on WPF, they made take a computer test where I had to tweak a little bit of the code there, which I thought was awesome. Then some questions on WPF in general, which should be easily answerable for some one with a few years experience in that domain. Seemed good bunch of people. The office looked very sharp and slick with a great view.

I think overall if you want to stick to UI work, or web design, HTML 5 this seems a great place. They seem to have bunch of primarily web design folks in their office. But if you interested in more intense server side stuff, or more in computer science, this probably isn't the place for you.

Interview Questions

Found better offer elsewhere.

Front-End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Lab49.

* Introductory call with recruiter.
    * Technical phone interview with engineer.
    * Live coding challenge, done over the phone with screen-sharing, using Node.js with an option of using CoffeeScript. Involved multiple separate challenges to complete, each of which came with a test suite for the interviewee to check his/her work.
    * Multiple on-site interviews, including multiple technical interviews covering different areas including JavaScript, CSS, and system architecture.

Interview Questions
    • Design the back-end architecture for a music-recognition service on the whiteboard.   Answer Question