Lab49 Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2015

3.4

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lab49 (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

1st. initial phone interview -30 min 2nd. second phone intervirew- 45 min 3rd. Skype interview with office in DC- 1 hour 4th. In person interview met with 5 differnt people- 4 hours Crazy process for such a junior position. I had to take a 1/2 days at work for the interview to just waste my time. I met with an employee who didnt even know the position I was applying for and couldnt even answer any of my questions.

Various Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lab49 (New York, NY).

Interview

Initial contact followed by regular contact up until scheduling for on site interviews. Full day of in office interviews with people in a wide range of roles. A second half day followed meeting a wider range of people. Finally, followups after the in person interview to gauge interest and get feedback. All in all, quite efficient

Interview Questions

• Quite a few questions about project management, requirements, estimation and managing scope   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lab49 (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

THEY contacted me via Linked-In (for job in DC) and had my resume since DAY 1! 2 phone calls from people in NY, with not impossible questions but definitely not easy. I didn't think the calls went 'great' and was expecting a "no thanks" after each one. Although one phone interview was obviously on a cell and I had to ask the person to repeat many questions because the background was full of other people talking. They finally moved to a quiet area, but the conversation over cell phone still made it hard to communicate. In-person interview in DC was TOUGH...and obviously the NY and DC offices don't communicate well. Not sure why they wait until you have taken a day off of work to grill you in person, and grill you for areas that your resume clearly states you are not proficient in. I'm bewildered as to why DC people were not grilling me on the FIRST phone call if that is where the job is. Lab49's online reputation is well earned. The people I met with in person are VERY smart, but they have zero people skills. If you get contacted for this job, they are NOT looking for a QA person, they are looking for a Developer, QA and Configuration Management all wrapped into one person that wants to be married to their job to underpay and call "QA". Also, I learned through asking THEM questions that the idea of QA has only been in place for 2 years, which probably explains why they have no idea what a QA person does. I also learned that they think QA should be client facing and have to travel to client sites, even though they BS you up front saying that's not part of the job (but then when you ask the right questions, they reveal that they do expect you to travel). They office is an "open" workspace (something I will never understand) and I saw only 2 other people there the whole time; translation, don't expect a 'routine' where you go "to the office" every day. I'm sure Lab49 is great in many areas, but their concept of QA is flawed. Most of the negative Reviews you read about Lab49 talk about burn-out and lack of work/life balance. That was my instant read after my in-person interview. I don't think I would have accepted the offer based on that feeling and the fact that I'd have to double my commute time and go into DC instead of VA. Unless you live in DC, not sure why you would want to commute to a job there, other than the "look at me" factor.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to stand up at a whiteboard and "draw" (at least in DC). They waited until my in-person interview, and 15 minutes into talking to the first person to mention that they are "big into whiteboards".   1 Answer

User Experience Designer/Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lab49 (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

The Lab49 recruitment team definitely know what they're doing. I was first contacted by a recruiter from my LinkedIn profile. I was asked to submit my resume and portfolio. That was followed by an phone interview with the recruiter, then a Skype interview with a member of their team. I was then brought in for an in person interview with several members of their team.

Interview Questions

• Solve a specific business problem scenario on a white board.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Asked ahead of time about salary expectations. Competitive with industry.

Technical Delivery Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lab49 (New York, NY).

Interview

I was first contacted through a recruiter about the role. The first interview was a phone screen with the head of the Delivery Practice, who asked me to walk him through some of the projects I have worked on, what role I played and to explain some of the technical and design aspects of the projects. This was followed by an on-site interview, which took about four hours. I worked on a written project case study then presented my answers to two interviewers, who asked drill-down questions throughout my presentation. Most of the questions focused on specific scenarios, i.e. What would you do in this specific situation or Have you have had to address this and how did you deal with it. Quite challenging and I was exhausted at the end. I then came back in to meet for an hour each with two more senior managers of the firm. These interviews focused on project scenarios, Agile best practices, and financial products knowledge among other questions about my experience. The offer came two weeks later. Summary: Challenging interviews but generally a positive experience. Everyone I met with seemed genuinely bright and motivated.

User Experience Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lab49 (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

One of the worst interviews I ever had. It all started out as a great discussion during the phone screen with a NYC employee. Arriving in person at the DC office, however, was a different story. I had a Skype interview with one of the DC managers and that went well but when meeting him in person he hadn't even reviewed my portfolio or my resume. This is after saying over Skype I was the perfect candidate. How is that possible? Very confusing. Not only that but he was very condescending in person. My expectation was to review some of my work, share my process and then do a white board session. They went straight to the test and it was mostly testing me on a project they were struggling with which was a PTO internal application. Building complex financial systems is really boring so the way I approached this interview is to be loose, humorous and a bit informal to balance out the rigid structure. At my previous job that was rewarded. They seem extremely unhappy. Please, don't take yourself so damn seriously. And also don't tell candidates that your client sucks. How stupid can you be? And... don't say that there is no vacation time over and over again and expect to attract talent. So goofy. Stay away from this place.

Interview Questions

• Why are you choosing Lab49?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Lab49 (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted via LinkedIn by recruiter in NY. He asked 10 to 15 Java questions which were multiple choice. I think I got 1 incorrect because Java 8 has changed what was true in Java 7. Next was a phone screen which was fairly easy. The questions were core java. The phone screen after that was mostly about general software engineering and testing. Then were the 4 interviews which were face to face. The first one was whiteboarding code which was fairly simple. The one after was an architecture question were I was asked to design Shazam. The one after that was technical but not really it was just talking about technology. then was the normal HR interview which is quite standard. They talk a lot about agile methodology throughout all the interviews.

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lab49 (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

Long interview process but worth taking time. Started with 30 minutes phone screen with the recruiter, them two more phone screens with team members, then around 4 hours of interview with the QA team and project manager, then an another interview with the HR Manager. Interview process was professional, never felt bored or uncomfortable.

Interview Questions

• Interviewers reviewed my resume before the interview start, I could see that based on their questions. Interview Focused more on the experience, tools that were used, the process used, and tried to assess my overall work profile   1 Answer

Java Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lab49 in April 2015.

Interview

It is very much professional. Prompt communication. Overall well taken care. Waiting for final process to be completed. One telephovery interview. I had coding challenge. It was really challenging I really enjoyed it. I have to really appreciate interviewer thought process.

Interview Questions

• Core java question based on scenario   1 Answer

Javascript Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lab49 (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

A couple of phone screens, then a brutal 4-5 hour in-person interview in their NY office. It was the toughest interview process of any company I've interviewed with. You essentially do several 1 hour blocks of pair coding with current developers, mixed in with some personality questions. Apparently a lot of people don't even make it through the full day of interviewing. They really are looking for the best of the best.

Interview Questions

• Write your own unit testing "spy" function.   1 Answer
    • Calculate the weighted average of a bunch of produce.   1 Answer
    • Sketch (on paper) the UX and basic functionality of a billing system for power consumption in large office building.   1 Answer