Lakeshore Learning Materials Interview Questions

2.4

Territory Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in February 2015.

The interview process felt easy and conversational. I was told though out the process how much I was liked and where I stood ..or so I thought. After my 4th interview I was once again told how I would be a great fit and and they were moving me along in the process and that I would be hearing from either the recruiter or the hiring manager to set up the next steps (5th interview). I heard from the recruiter the next day to say I wasn't moving forward. I was obviously disappointed, but also feel it is a very misleading way of doing business. I had noticed while preparing for the interview that several other previous candidates had experienced the same thing. I should have known better.

What a poor taste I have in my mouth I have for this company. I will be sure to share the experience and poor business acumen with all of my teacher and principal friends.

Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in January 2015.

Very simple process, but surprisingly not intimidating. Everyone in the office was extremely friendly. I interviewed with a recruiter in Human Resources, and also took an excel evaluation. I wish I would have brushed up on my Excel skills prior to the interview because I was a little rusty. The interview went well, the conversation flowed, and the recruiter seemed impressed with my background. However, I received an email about a week later explaining that another candidate has been chosen.

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in January 2015.

Phone interview, and then an in-person interview with two managers. Just a great experience all around. Receptionist was super friendly and made me feel very welcome/comfortable, was offered water, etc. The directions that were provided by the manager about where to go/park were perfect. Hiring managers were great about giving me a good understanding of the job and the company culture/history, and both were very proud to be a part of the team. I felt as if they took the time to get to know me and what was important to me in a job, not just whether or not I could do the job. They asked about my career history and some behavioral based questions around customer service (which is huge for the company), unique/outside of the box ideas for recruiting, employee engagement, etc. They were professional but very approachable-- set clear explanations about what it's like to work there and made the interview process be a two-way street where I was picking them just as much as they were picking me. IlleiIipickingmme.interviewanting to work there!

Interview Questions
    • What are the top things you are looking for in you next opportunity?   Answer Question
    They made me a great/fair offer

Call Center Representative Interview

interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in January 2015.

I applied thru an online job board and was contacted by the HR receptionist for a brief phone screen, followed by an invitation to come in for a personal interview. When I arrived later that week, I waited 30 minutes to find that I would be interviewing with another woman in the office as the hiring manager was in a meeting. She was unhappy to be completing this task and made it clear to me. I pushed through with a smile. She even picked up her phone to read a text and then asked me to repeat the question I had just asked. I was told to expect a call either way and never did. I have reached out with no luck as well. I really desired this position but it seems it's not a two way street. I doubt the woman even passed along my resume and interview info, she could have cared less about me. Very disappointing

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to resolve an issue and the outcome. What did you learn..   Answer Question
    • How many inbound vs. Outbound phone calls and emails per day at previous job   Answer Question
    • Describe what customer service means to you   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials.

I was contacted by HR via phone regarding an Inside Sales Rep position. After showing up, I was asked to fill out an application, take two tests on paper, and an Excel test. I was then told by HR that the position I was interviewing for has already been filled and I shouldn't have been interviewed. Looks like they have a lot of communication problems internally. How disappointing! Two weeks passed by and I was contacted again to interview for an Administrative Assistant position (very misleading). I interviewed with a lady in HR and two managers. I was the very first person to be interviewed and the first to be hired. Everyone was very vague about the position (what department I would be in, what tasks and duties I would be accountable for, etc.) I think the only thing that made me an attractive candidate was the compensation I asked for, considering I've achieved a much higher educational level compared to everyone in the department I ended up in. The office setup is strange, as mentioned in other reviews, not to add, unsanitary. Working there, I've found roaches walking on my desk. The carpet is never vacuumed (looks like it has been there for 30 years) and certain people have designated spots on the dirty floor to keep stacks of paperwork by their desk - I guess they've never heard of folders or filling cabinets...

Interview Questions
    • As mentioned in other reviews, none of the questions were too difficult since you're not really given a chance to speak as they're not interested in you as a person and only ask pointless questions irrelevant to the job. Be careful when contacted by Lakeshore and ask many questions about what kind of work you will be expected to perform and how you will be evaluated. Be assertive and don't let anyone talk down to you while you're there (interviewed or hired). Stay away from small departments (overwhelming load of work, lots of politics and drama). Make sure the department you will be hired in is culturally appropriate for your personality (Reps who are the same age, share some sort of commonality with - family dynamic, etc.) or they will not include you in any discussions or activities and you will end up feeling inferior for something that's not at all your fault.   Answer Question
    I received an offer letter via email with the scheduled start date, my hourly rate, and a statement: "Medical and dental benefits will become effective 90 days from your start date." I was asked to reply with "Accept" in the body of the email.

Merchandise Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials.

The HR associate was very nice and asked all the proper questions. More so to get a feel for personality than skill set, which is handled by the manager of the position you are interviewing for. This part seemed a bit aggravating as it was like pulling teeth to get the person doing the interview to really engage. She merely only asked questions that you read out of a book.

Interview Questions
    • The position is very regimented so to be asked if I was ok working a shift seemed odd for a salaried position.   Answer Question
    • Also, the family is still heavily involved which sometimes can be a bit challenging when they're not open to change because they feel the company is running just fine as it is.   Answer Question

Not the right environment.

Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in October 2014.

When I got there I sat and interviews for about 20 minutes with someone from HR. She is very clear that with the position you can be bounced around to different departments. Which I did not have a problem with, however she stressed it so much that I became skeptical. I was then asked to take an excel test. I was given 30 minutes to complete the test. After I was done I waited about 15 minutes and was called back in to touch base. We reviewed my test which I did pretty well on. She then tells me that they are thinking about putting me in Asset Recovery! I was not at all happy about this and feel like they posted a position for an Administrative Assistant to lure a desperate person into accepting a job that is completely unrelated. I would love to be given a position with this awesome company, but I feel as though my time was wasted and the Administrative Assistant position was really never available. I was told if I make it through to the next phase I would be notified. I won't hold my breath for too long.

Interview Questions

The position offered was not what I went to interview for. I was not interested and also did not think I would do well in Asset Recovery.

Merchandising Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in September 2014.

the interviewing process is straight forward and uncomplicated. The entire staff seemed very friendly and overall it was a warm environment, except for the parking situation, it took 3 circles in the lot to determine where it was okay to park. The confusing aspect was that during and after the interview, It is a bit hard to read where you stand and there was a long delay in hearing back after the initial interview.

Anonymous Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in September 2014.

I was contacted by someone who found my resume online. They asked me some basic questions and then had me come in for an interview. The questions were pretty straightforward and the interviewer shared a lot of information about the company and their history, beliefs, and benefits. She wasn't able to answer all my questions specific to the job (what kind of systems they use, department structure, etc), but that's understandable. During my initial visit I spoke to 2 additional managers and was then offered the position the same day.

Interview Questions
    • I was surprised at how interested the interviewer was in the other companies I worked for. What I liked about them, how they recognized their employees. It was nice to have someone want to know what's important to me vs making sure I fit in their skillset   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in May 2014.

The recruiter found my information on Monster.com and contacted me via phone. After the initial phone interview, I was invited to interview in person. The job title and description stated that it was a “Project Manager” position, but after the interview, it seemed more like an assistant/admin position. This was later confirmed when I received the ‘thanks, but no thanks’ email, which now states that it is a “Project Administrator” position. After the interview, it took 3 weeks to get an answer from them regarding employment. Even though they sought after my resume on Monster, my rejection e-mail stated that they were looking for someone with industry experience.

I couldn’t tell if the people (receptionist, HR, Recruiter) were really friendly because they were genuinely nice people, or because they were forced to be overtly hospitable to the interviewees. Also, when they say “casual dress code,” they aren’t lying; the recruiter was wearing a tank-top and jeans.

Interview Questions
    • The interview lasted approximately 30 minutes and consisted of questions such as, “Could you tell me what your average work day is like, what is your philosophy of negotiation?” I can't remember the other questions but they were relatively generic.   Answer Question