Lakeshore Learning Materials Interview Questions & Reviews

40 interviews

2.4

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in May 2014.

The recruiter found my information on Monster.com and contacted me via phone. After the initial phone interview, I was invited to interview in person. The job title and description stated that it was a “Project Manager” position, but after the interview, it seemed more like an assistant/admin position. This was later confirmed when I received the ‘thanks, but no thanks’ email, which now states that it is a “Project Administrator” position. After the interview, it took 3 weeks to get an answer from them regarding employment. Even though they sought after my resume on Monster, my rejection e-mail stated that they were looking for someone with industry experience.

I couldn’t tell if the people (receptionist, HR, Recruiter) were really friendly because they were genuinely nice people, or because they were forced to be overtly hospitable to the interviewees. Also, when they say “casual dress code,” they aren’t lying; the recruiter was wearing a tank-top and jeans.

Interview Questions
    • The interview lasted approximately 30 minutes and consisted of questions such as, “Could you tell me what your average work day is like, what is your philosophy of negotiation?” I can't remember the other questions but they were relatively generic.   Answer Question

Product Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in June 2013.

The hiring process was Good!! Be prepared to have a phone interview and two face-to-face interviews. If you make it to the second interview, you will be expected to create something "Lakeshorey." They offered me the position at the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • I thought the questions were all relative and you could answer them with confidence if you've been an educator.   Answer Question
    They gave me more money than I ask for :-) No negotiations needed.

Management Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials.

Applied for a senior level management position. The receptionist conducted initial phone "interview', then required me to come in. Upon arrival, it turned out was not for an in-person interview; rather to take a basic computer test. No discussion and the test was interrupted by someone needing to file papers in the test room - during a timed test. After the "test" I asked about speaking to someone. I was told, "Depending how you do on the test, you MIGHT be called back in for an actual interview."

Interview Questions
    • There were no questions asked relevent to the actual position to which I applied. Most difficult one asked was, "How do you feel about the long commute?" (This asked by said receptionist.)   View Answer

Product Development Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in January 2014.

They surprised me with an Excel test. And then I had an interview with just HR.

Director of Business Affairs Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in January 2014.

Met with HR person and then with the VP of Admin. Both great people, clearly committed to the company and looking for the right candidate for their specific need.

Interview Questions

The job description didn't really line up with what they were actually after. Also, some strict and in my opinion, out dated, ideas on work hours and lunch breaks.

WAREHOSUE Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, CA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in August 2013.

Just asked me about my experienced in warehousing and my scheduled.
    Had a written math test where they ask you percentages, and word math problems.

i asked for 9 an hr and thats what they gave me.

Sales Representative (Field) Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Asheville, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in October 2013.

A friend and former colleague recently accepted a sales position with Lakeshore and recommended me for a similar position in a different territory. The first 3 phone interviews went well. Everyone at the company was professional and personable. I met the local manager (with whom I'd already had one of those phone interviews) for an interview over coffee and thought things went well then, too. Toward the end of the interview, the manager asked, "So does this sound like something you'd like to move forward with?" I said that it was, and the manager said, "It's a big decision. Why don't you discuss it with your spouse, sleep on it, and let me know in the morning." I appreciated this thoughtful advice, and I interpreted it as an affirmation that moving forward was my decision to make.
    When I called the manager the next morning and said that I'd still like to move forward, the manager said that unfortunately she thought I was overqualified for the position and that she was unable to advance me in the process. I was utterly astounded. After a relatively quick "thank you anyway," we hung up. I called the her back later in the afternoon to express my dissatisfaction with the way that whole situation was handled, explaining that having me call her back to be told that I was rejected was not a helpful way to communicate with applicants, especially when the implication had been that the decision was mine (not "ours") whether or not to move forward.
    My friend and former colleague is enjoying her position and has very good things to say about the company (she does not report to the manager I interviewed with), so I believe the company in general is a good organization. Several employee reviews of the company include the word "quirky," a term also used frequently by the manager with whom I interviewed. Perhaps, my interview was simply one of those quirks.

Interview Questions
    • "Does this sound like something you'd like to move forward with?"   View Answer

Production Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in May 2010.

I applied online via a Monster.com post. Within a few days I came in for an interview with HR, filled out some basic information, then met with the Product Art department. I spoke with the production manager and took a few skills assessments tests. Shortly thereafter I spoke with other personnel within the department.

Interview Questions
    • Are you familiar with preflight and press check processes?   View Answer
    I was offered an hourly rate of pay. It was generous, and competitive, although there wasn't much in the way of negotiations.

Sales Representative Interview

I was contacted via phone to set up an interview for the following day with someone from HR. The first interview lasted about 30 minutes and was straight forward with nothing unexpected. The second interview was a couple of days later.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked at the first interview how much base pay I expected. I saw a recruiter looking to fill the position list the base at 50- 70k.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Torrance, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials.

Sent in my résumé and was called to come in for a interview the next day. Interview with HR and was told I would make a lot of money , it was a great company. I was told I would hear something in a week . Received a email a week later and was told they were looking for someone with education sales experience . I felt that was obvious by my résumé. I didn't understand why call someone in if that is what you want. I have met two other people that went through the same thing.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what you know about the selling to a educational organization   Answer Question

Worked for Lakeshore Learning Materials? Contribute to the Community!