Lakeshore Learning Materials

Updated Nov 4, 2014
Updated Nov 4, 2014

2.4

Merchandise Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials.

The HR associate was very nice and asked all the proper questions. More so to get a feel for personality than skill set, which is handled by the manager of the position you are interviewing for. This part seemed a bit aggravating as it was like pulling teeth to get the person doing the interview to really engage. She merely only asked questions that you read out of a book.

Interview Questions
    • The position is very regimented so to be asked if I was ok working a shift seemed odd for a salaried position.   Answer Question
    • Also, the family is still heavily involved which sometimes can be a bit challenging when they're not open to change because they feel the company is running just fine as it is.   Answer Question

Not the right environment.

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials.

I was contacted by HR via phone regarding an Inside Sales Rep position. After showing up, I was asked to fill out an application, take two tests on paper, and an Excel test. I was then told by HR that the position I was interviewing for has already been filled and I shouldn't have been interviewed. Looks like they have a lot of communication problems internally. How disappointing! Two weeks passed by and I was contacted again to interview for an Administrative Assistant position (very misleading). I interviewed with a lady in HR and two managers. I was the very first person to be interviewed and the first to be hired. Everyone was very vague about the position (what department I would be in, what tasks and duties I would be accountable for, etc.) I think the only thing that made me an attractive candidate was the compensation I asked for, considering I've achieved a much higher educational level compared to everyone in the department I ended up in. The office setup is strange, as mentioned in other reviews, not to add, unsanitary. Working there, I've found roaches walking on my desk. The carpet is never vacuumed (looks like it has been there for 30 years) and certain people have designated spots on the dirty floor to keep stacks of paperwork by their desk - I guess they've never heard of folders or filling cabinets...

Interview Questions
    • As mentioned in other reviews, none of the questions were too difficult since you're not really given a chance to speak as they're not interested in you as a person and only ask pointless questions irrelevant to the job. Be careful when contacted by Lakeshore and ask many questions about what kind of work you will be expected to perform and how you will be evaluated. Be assertive and don't let anyone talk down to you while you're there (interviewed or hired). Stay away from small departments (overwhelming load of work, lots of politics and drama). Make sure the department you will be hired in is culturally appropriate for your personality (Reps who are the same age, share some sort of commonality with - family dynamic, etc.) or they will not include you in any discussions or activities and you will end up feeling inferior for something that's not at all your fault.   Answer Question
    I received an offer letter via email with the scheduled start date, my hourly rate, and a statement: "Medical and dental benefits will become effective 90 days from your start date." I was asked to reply with "Accept" in the body of the email.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in October 2014.

When I got there I sat and interviews for about 20 minutes with someone from HR. She is very clear that with the position you can be bounced around to different departments. Which I did not have a problem with, however she stressed it so much that I became skeptical. I was then asked to take an excel test. I was given 30 minutes to complete the test. After I was done I waited about 15 minutes and was called back in to touch base. We reviewed my test which I did pretty well on. She then tells me that they are thinking about putting me in Asset Recovery! I was not at all happy about this and feel like they posted a position for an Administrative Assistant to lure a desperate person into accepting a job that is completely unrelated. I would love to be given a position with this awesome company, but I feel as though my time was wasted and the Administrative Assistant position was really never available. I was told if I make it through to the next phase I would be notified. I won't hold my breath for too long.

Interview Questions

The position offered was not what I went to interview for. I was not interested and also did not think I would do well in Asset Recovery.

Merchandising Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in September 2014.

the interviewing process is straight forward and uncomplicated. The entire staff seemed very friendly and overall it was a warm environment, except for the parking situation, it took 3 circles in the lot to determine where it was okay to park. The confusing aspect was that during and after the interview, It is a bit hard to read where you stand and there was a long delay in hearing back after the initial interview.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in May 2014.

The recruiter found my information on Monster.com and contacted me via phone. After the initial phone interview, I was invited to interview in person. The job title and description stated that it was a “Project Manager” position, but after the interview, it seemed more like an assistant/admin position. This was later confirmed when I received the ‘thanks, but no thanks’ email, which now states that it is a “Project Administrator” position. After the interview, it took 3 weeks to get an answer from them regarding employment. Even though they sought after my resume on Monster, my rejection e-mail stated that they were looking for someone with industry experience.

I couldn’t tell if the people (receptionist, HR, Recruiter) were really friendly because they were genuinely nice people, or because they were forced to be overtly hospitable to the interviewees. Also, when they say “casual dress code,” they aren’t lying; the recruiter was wearing a tank-top and jeans.

Interview Questions
    • The interview lasted approximately 30 minutes and consisted of questions such as, “Could you tell me what your average work day is like, what is your philosophy of negotiation?” I can't remember the other questions but they were relatively generic.   Answer Question

Management Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials.

Applied for a senior level management position. The receptionist conducted initial phone "interview', then required me to come in. Upon arrival, it turned out was not for an in-person interview; rather to take a basic computer test. No discussion and the test was interrupted by someone needing to file papers in the test room - during a timed test. After the "test" I asked about speaking to someone. I was told, "Depending how you do on the test, you MIGHT be called back in for an actual interview."

Interview Questions
    • There were no questions asked relevent to the actual position to which I applied. Most difficult one asked was, "How do you feel about the long commute?" (This asked by said receptionist.)   View Answer

Director of Business Affairs Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in January 2014.

Met with HR person and then with the VP of Admin. Both great people, clearly committed to the company and looking for the right candidate for their specific need.

Interview Questions

The job description didn't really line up with what they were actually after. Also, some strict and in my opinion, out dated, ideas on work hours and lunch breaks.

Product Development Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in January 2014.

They surprised me with an Excel test. And then I had an interview with just HR.

Merch Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in January 2014.

I interviewed from 10-2:15, without ever being told how long I would be there. Felt like i either shoukd have been offered lunch or given a break to get something. Interview was with recruiter (who left me in their office twice during the interview) plus hiring manager, director, COO and recruiter (who was different than whom I was previously dealing with).

Interview Questions
    • What year did you graduate from college?   View Answer

Sales Representative (Field) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Asheville, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Asheville, NC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in October 2013.

A friend and former colleague recently accepted a sales position with Lakeshore and recommended me for a similar position in a different territory. The first 3 phone interviews went well. Everyone at the company was professional and personable. I met the local manager (with whom I'd already had one of those phone interviews) for an interview over coffee and thought things went well then, too. Toward the end of the interview, the manager asked, "So does this sound like something you'd like to move forward with?" I said that it was, and the manager said, "It's a big decision. Why don't you discuss it with your spouse, sleep on it, and let me know in the morning." I appreciated this thoughtful advice, and I interpreted it as an affirmation that moving forward was my decision to make.
    When I called the manager the next morning and said that I'd still like to move forward, the manager said that unfortunately she thought I was overqualified for the position and that she was unable to advance me in the process. I was utterly astounded. After a relatively quick "thank you anyway," we hung up. I called the her back later in the afternoon to express my dissatisfaction with the way that whole situation was handled, explaining that having me call her back to be told that I was rejected was not a helpful way to communicate with applicants, especially when the implication had been that the decision was mine (not "ours") whether or not to move forward.
    My friend and former colleague is enjoying her position and has very good things to say about the company (she does not report to the manager I interviewed with), so I believe the company in general is a good organization. Several employee reviews of the company include the word "quirky," a term also used frequently by the manager with whom I interviewed. Perhaps, my interview was simply one of those quirks.

Interview Questions
    • "Does this sound like something you'd like to move forward with?"   View Answer