Lakeshore Learning Materials

40 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

ASM Interview

ASM

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials.

Interview Details – Multiple calls with HR, then in-store interview with store manager, followed by a call with the District Manager, and then the Regional Manager. Regional Manager didn't like an answer that I gave to a question so I was bounced out, but the District Manager had me re-interviewed by another Regional Manager and I was given the job.

Interview Question – Not difficult or unexpected, but they didn't like the answer that I provided to "Tell us about the best customer service you think you've provided to someone recently."   View Answer

Shipping and Receiving Associate Interview

Shipping and Receiving Associate
Carson, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in June 2009.

Interview Details – I submitted an application and less than a week later I got called for an interview. The wanted the interview on the same morning they called me. I went to their office and did the interview in an office of the supervisor. It was very informal since it was for a warehouse job. I needed the summer job so I tried to come off as available as possible and eager to work. I was hired on the spot and started training on the next morning.

Interview Question – Why did you decide to work for us?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was not much of a negotiation, I needed a summer job so i was very accommodating with the pay so they underpay me from what i learned later.

Seasonal Order Taker Interview

Seasonal Order Taker
Carson, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in October 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a person that conducted a pre-screen telephone interview. Once that completed she had be come into the office for test and formal interview. The test was very easy. The interview was conducted by a recruiter who kept looking out the window and it lasted a total of five minutes, if that. She talked mostly about the company. I was overqualified for the position. She kept referring back to my HR experience. I wanted a temp job for the holidays.

Interview Question – The questions were very generic.   View Answer

Seasonal Order Taker Interview

Seasonal Order Taker
Carson, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in November 2012.

Interview Details – The company called a few days after I had submitted an application. They asked me basic questions about availability, salary, and type of work I was interested in over the phone. I agreed to go for an interview the next day. I went in the next morning and they asked me to take a simple detail test to see if I could spot the errors on a worksheet. Then I got called in for the interview. It was pretty simple and relaxed. After the interview, I took a typing and 10-key test. I was then told to go back to the interviewer's office where she offered me the job.

Interview Questions

• What kind of things do you look for in a job or work environment?   View Answer
  • What was one thing you didn't like about a previous job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did ask for $10.00 an hour but they said they were willing to do $9.00 only. I took the job because I need money for the holidays.

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Human Resources Coordinator
Carson, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in September 2012.

Interview Details – Quick phone interview, was called in for an in person interview, not called back for a second interview. When I asked what types of qualities they were looking for in their candidates, it kind of seemed like they were giving me the responses I wanted to hear based on the answers I gave them earlier in the interview. It was pretty quick, about 15 minutes, but I had to take a short quiz on error corrections to test my eye for detail beforehand. I thought it went really well, I think they wanted someone with more experience, even though they said personality is more important than experience because you can always train someone. Who knows?

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult, just looked over my resume and asked me questions off of that.   Answer Question

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Territory Sales Representative
Hartford, CT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in April 2012.

Interview Details – Initial phone screen was fairly standard, and lasted about 3 minutes. The initial phone screen was followed up by a phone screen from the hiring mgr., with more direct questions regarding my background - and why I would want the job.. I then had a live 1:1 meeting with the hiring Mgr, which lasted 30 minutes and pretty much covered the same subject matter. Lastly, I had a phone screen with one of the Presidents, covering the same basic resume review questions - and why I'd be a good fit for the job.

Interview Question – How would you interact with people that are on a much lower economic level than yourself?   View Answers (2)

Regional Sales Representative Interview

Regional Sales Representative
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in June 2011.

Interview Details – All I can say is that this interview process was the worst in my professional career. The company reached out to me and then scheduled a telephone interview. Like many of the previous candidates I found that the Corporate HR people do not know a thing about interviewing or assessing a potential hire. They really don't want to know a thing about you - it's clear that they are inexperienced recruiters with little business experieince. I believe the internal person that interviewed me actually said that she took the job with Lakeshore because she couldn't cut it working for an agency.

I also interviewed by phone with the Regional Sales Manager and found him to be crass and disrespectful to his market: educators. He actually said some not-so-nice things about the people he calls on! He comes from the office supply industry so who knows what their standards are?

I interviewed in person and was ultimately told that I was "just not a fit" for Lakeshore Learning. You're right: I'm much too professional and classy and am glad that the job wasn't offered to me because I was not impressed with anyone that I met throughout the interview process.

They had me jump through hoops just to accommodate their schedule (and I was working full time) but didn't even give me the courtesy of an honest answer as to why I wasn't "a fit".

Good luck. It's no wonder why jobs are posted over and over again on Linkedin and job boards!

Interview Question – How are you going to handle it when you are calling on teachers that are earning next to the poverty level and you're earning great money?   View Answer

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative
Carson, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in October 2011.

Interview Details – I applied on the company web site, then called HR directly, to express my interest. I received a return phone call a few hours later and was asked a few simple questions regarding my work history and salary expectations. I was then asked to come in for an interview a few days later in which I met with DEB who is the HR director. The interview was easy and confortable, she asked me initially to just talk about myself. After 45 minutes we closed the interview and she said I would hear from her in one week. Be sure to ask what the hiring process is seems kind of lengthy.

Interview Question – Why did you leave your last position?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative
Carson, CA

The process took 4 days - interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in July 2011.

Interview Details – The process was superb. I'm not local to their headquarters so all communications happened between phone & email. They walked me through exactly why I am not a match of what they are looking for and the entire experience was truly refreshing. Just being considered was flattering to me and now I am more than impressed by the level of professionalism and kindness that Lakeshore's staff has displayed. Lakeshore is already bookmarked in my computer and I will check back frequently for openings. They are going to keep my information on file and I will be in touch should I see something I am interested in.

Keep up the great work Lakeshore and thank you so much for your time!

Interview Question – Tell me a little about yourself?   View Answer

Marketing Interview

Marketing
Carson, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in June 2011.

Interview Details – I applied for this position online and received a call from an HR representative within a couple days. The phone call really set the tone for what their interview process would offer. The recruiter (or maybe it was an admin) was very friendly and upbeat. It was a refreshing change from the many stale, dry interactions I’ve had interviewing with other companies. We had a nice chat and she scheduled me to come in for an interview the very next day. When I arrived for my interview I was handed what seemed to be an attention to detail test….I was taken off guard at first but then noticed all applicants received this exam so it must be standard. I found the interview to be relaxed and really catered to my interest and what I was looking for in my next position. There was a lot of time spent on culture fit as it is their number one concern being a 3rd generation family owned company. I left feeling educated on the company and position I applied for. The Recruiter said she would touch base with me the following week and as promised, I received an email with a very gentle let down explaining I just didn’t have enough experience for their current needs. Although I was disappointed to miss out on this exciting opportunity, I felt compelled to share my great experience with an untraditional interview process. I only wish other “corporate” companies would take some pointers and break up the monotony of me having to repeat my script over and over again but instead wanting to get to know me as a person. Although no offer, great experience.

Interview Question – How have you been innovative in your field?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Lakeshore Learning Materials