Lakeshore Learning Materials

Updated Aug 31, 2014

2.4

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in June 2011.

I applied for this position online and received a call from an HR representative within a couple days. The phone call really set the tone for what their interview process would offer. The recruiter (or maybe it was an admin) was very friendly and upbeat. It was a refreshing change from the many stale, dry interactions I’ve had interviewing with other companies. We had a nice chat and she scheduled me to come in for an interview the very next day. When I arrived for my interview I was handed what seemed to be an attention to detail test….I was taken off guard at first but then noticed all applicants received this exam so it must be standard. I found the interview to be relaxed and really catered to my interest and what I was looking for in my next position. There was a lot of time spent on culture fit as it is their number one concern being a 3rd generation family owned company. I left feeling educated on the company and position I applied for. The Recruiter said she would touch base with me the following week and as promised, I received an email with a very gentle let down explaining I just didn’t have enough experience for their current needs. Although I was disappointed to miss out on this exciting opportunity, I felt compelled to share my great experience with an untraditional interview process. I only wish other “corporate” companies would take some pointers and break up the monotony of me having to repeat my script over and over again but instead wanting to get to know me as a person. Although no offer, great experience.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in May 2011.

I had a very similar experience to all of the previous reviewers. The structure of the office, the cattle-call feel of the reception area, if that's what it can be called, and the physical lay out of the office definitely gives you the impression that the company is a bit of a personnel factory. I found the entire process to be very odd and left feeling like I had wasted my time. The interviewer only asked a couple of questions, neither of which were related to my job performance, and proceeded to talk solidly for 5 minutes about the company before giving me the friendliest brush off I've ever gotten. She did not allow me to ask questions. It felt a bit like a pointless sales pitch for something I didn't want. I left with a very uneasy feeling about the entire company. I've since read some of the reviews from current and former employees, and I am now glad I was not asked back for a second interview.

Regional Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in April 2011.

The interviewer was pleasant. We went over my resume and discussed what I did, why I left and what salary I was paid.
    She sounded very interested; however, she sent me an email stating that they selected a different candidate with previous Lakeshore experience.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in February 2011.

A recruiter from the company reached out to me. I had a phone screen, but it was someone asking very basic information and not really an interview. I was asked to visit the home office for a one to one interview with a recruiter and took an intelligence test. I was rejected and did not get a meeting with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • The intelligence test was very remedial.   View Answer

Purchase Order Processor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in February 2011.

I was contacted by a recruiter for an initial screening and was invited for a 1:1 interview the very next day. When I arrived I was asked to take a skill test very easy. Then I was called in by the recruiter. She simply pulled up my application and asked me what I did at my previous employer and why I left and sent me on my way. The interview took no more than 5 minutes. The interview seemed more like a screening than an actual interview. She stated to me I would be contacted in a week and never heard back from them. I attempted to contact the recruiter many times but it was impossible. I was disappointed that she did not even attempt to contact me back to let me know they had filled the position.

Production Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in May 2010.

I applied online via a Monster.com post. Within a few days I came in for an interview with HR, filled out some basic information, then met with the Product Art department. I spoke with the production manager and took a few skills assessments tests. Shortly thereafter I spoke with other personnel within the department.

Interview Questions
    • Are you familiar with preflight and press check processes?   View Answer
    I was offered an hourly rate of pay. It was generous, and competitive, although there wasn't much in the way of negotiations.

Regional Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbia, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

The process took 4 days - interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in March 2010.

Several interviews with Corporate HR, District Manager, and Local Sales Person. Sounds like a great company and people to work with. The tenure of employees and market served was a great attraction to me. I did a lot of research on them, current customers, competitors etc. and they spoke of Lakeshore in high regard.

Initially they indicated that they were looking for people outside the industry that would bring new ideas and enthusiasm. Ultimately, they indicated that they want to hire within in the Industry. A little confusing. All in All they appear to be sincere and a great company to work for.

Shipping and Receiving Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in June 2009.

I submitted an application and less than a week later I got called for an interview. The wanted the interview on the same morning they called me. I went to their office and did the interview in an office of the supervisor. It was very informal since it was for a warehouse job. I needed the summer job so I tried to come off as available as possible and eager to work. I was hired on the spot and started training on the next morning.

Interview Questions
    It was not much of a negotiation, I needed a summer job so i was very accommodating with the pay so they underpay me from what i learned later.

Publications Department Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in May 2009.

The interviewer did most of the talking and I found it challenging to get a word in edgewise. She was very friendly and courteous, but I left feeling like all the preparation I had done didn't matter. You don't want to interrupt the interviewer, but this is one case in which I was very tempted to do so! My impression is that they're only looking for you to say certain buzzwords that get their attention and they don't venture far outside that box.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your resume (with frequent interruptions and tangents).   Answer Question
    • And now sit her and listen to me talk about myself and the company for 20 minutes.   Answer Question

Director of Web Interview

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in November 2011.

I was contacted via Lakeshore human resources for a short phone interview followed up by an a in-person interview at Lakeshore's company offices. The lady who interviewed (HR generalist) had no understanding of the field I was interviewing for and was essentially going down a checklist with some superficial criteria. The company uses testing as part of their interview process which is generally a poor means of screening candidates.

Interview Questions
    • Is the number on the left identical to the number of the right?

1357.8 1457.8 (True or False)
        View Answer