Lakeshore Learning Materials

Updated Nov 4, 2014

2.4

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, CA

The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in July 2011.

The process was superb. I'm not local to their headquarters so all communications happened between phone & email. They walked me through exactly why I am not a match of what they are looking for and the entire experience was truly refreshing. Just being considered was flattering to me and now I am more than impressed by the level of professionalism and kindness that Lakeshore's staff has displayed. Lakeshore is already bookmarked in my computer and I will check back frequently for openings. They are going to keep my information on file and I will be in touch should I see something I am interested in.

Keep up the great work Lakeshore and thank you so much for your time!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in June 2011.

All I can say is that this interview process was the worst in my professional career. The company reached out to me and then scheduled a telephone interview. Like many of the previous candidates I found that the Corporate HR people do not know a thing about interviewing or assessing a potential hire. They really don't want to know a thing about you - it's clear that they are inexperienced recruiters with little business experieince. I believe the internal person that interviewed me actually said that she took the job with Lakeshore because she couldn't cut it working for an agency.

I also interviewed by phone with the Regional Sales Manager and found him to be crass and disrespectful to his market: educators. He actually said some not-so-nice things about the people he calls on! He comes from the office supply industry so who knows what their standards are?

I interviewed in person and was ultimately told that I was "just not a fit" for Lakeshore Learning. You're right: I'm much too professional and classy and am glad that the job wasn't offered to me because I was not impressed with anyone that I met throughout the interview process.

They had me jump through hoops just to accommodate their schedule (and I was working full time) but didn't even give me the courtesy of an honest answer as to why I wasn't "a fit".

Good luck. It's no wonder why jobs are posted over and over again on Linkedin and job boards!

Interview Questions
    • How are you going to handle it when you are calling on teachers that are earning next to the poverty level and you're earning great money?   View Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in June 2011.

I applied for this position online and received a call from an HR representative within a couple days. The phone call really set the tone for what their interview process would offer. The recruiter (or maybe it was an admin) was very friendly and upbeat. It was a refreshing change from the many stale, dry interactions I’ve had interviewing with other companies. We had a nice chat and she scheduled me to come in for an interview the very next day. When I arrived for my interview I was handed what seemed to be an attention to detail test….I was taken off guard at first but then noticed all applicants received this exam so it must be standard. I found the interview to be relaxed and really catered to my interest and what I was looking for in my next position. There was a lot of time spent on culture fit as it is their number one concern being a 3rd generation family owned company. I left feeling educated on the company and position I applied for. The Recruiter said she would touch base with me the following week and as promised, I received an email with a very gentle let down explaining I just didn’t have enough experience for their current needs. Although I was disappointed to miss out on this exciting opportunity, I felt compelled to share my great experience with an untraditional interview process. I only wish other “corporate” companies would take some pointers and break up the monotony of me having to repeat my script over and over again but instead wanting to get to know me as a person. Although no offer, great experience.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in June 2011.

This was one of the biggest joke interviews I have experienced! I got a call that Lakeshore wanted to interview me for an outside sales position. Had the phone interview. They asked general questions about why I wanted to work for Lakeshore, etc. As I was answering, interviewer sounded like she was getting ready for something else, but acted like she was interested in what I was saying. At one point, I asked her a question, and she responded, "That's very interesting!" She wasn't even listening to me. I can only imagine working for an organization like them! Never got a rejection email, just never heard from them again. Thank God!

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Lakeshore?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in June 2011.

I was contacted by a recruiter who was familiar with this company.They felt I was a great fit for this
    particular company because th employer was looking for a seasoned sales representative who had shown longevity with their current employer as well as a track record of success. (14 years )
    I agreed to a phone interview on a Friday evening at 7pm east coast time / 4pm their time because I was leaving early the next morning for vacation.

From the moment the phone rang it went downhill. 1st the "recruitment specialist" calls me on my cell phone instead of my home phone. Secondly; she spoke so fast I had a hard time keeping up with her. She sounded very young and come to find out she had only been with the company for all of all of 3 weeks!
    I found the fact that she spoke so fast to be unprofessional.

She asked me the requisite questions i.e. why I was looking for a new position; describe my daily activities; how do I prospect, etc. Then she jabbered on about the company, the culture, etc. What I was told by the recruiter would be 20-30 minutes was an hour phone screening. I asked a few questions and that was it.
    Found out later that I was passed over because the "recruitment specialist" didn't feel Ihad a passion for
    sales in the first 10 minutes of the phone interview. Are you kidding me??? I've been selling for 14+ years and if they had taken my linkedin profile into consideration; they would have read about my "passion" from
    recommendations from current customers.
    I was also told by the Lakeshore employee that they had many applications. I have since noticed that they re-posted the position on different on-line job boards. What does that tell you?

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in May 2011.

I had a very similar experience to all of the previous reviewers. The structure of the office, the cattle-call feel of the reception area, if that's what it can be called, and the physical lay out of the office definitely gives you the impression that the company is a bit of a personnel factory. I found the entire process to be very odd and left feeling like I had wasted my time. The interviewer only asked a couple of questions, neither of which were related to my job performance, and proceeded to talk solidly for 5 minutes about the company before giving me the friendliest brush off I've ever gotten. She did not allow me to ask questions. It felt a bit like a pointless sales pitch for something I didn't want. I left with a very uneasy feeling about the entire company. I've since read some of the reviews from current and former employees, and I am now glad I was not asked back for a second interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in April 2011.

The interviewer was pleasant. We went over my resume and discussed what I did, why I left and what salary I was paid.
    She sounded very interested; however, she sent me an email stating that they selected a different candidate with previous Lakeshore experience.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in February 2011.

A recruiter from the company reached out to me. I had a phone screen, but it was someone asking very basic information and not really an interview. I was asked to visit the home office for a one to one interview with a recruiter and took an intelligence test. I was rejected and did not get a meeting with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • The intelligence test was very remedial.   View Answer

Purchase Order Processor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in February 2011.

I was contacted by a recruiter for an initial screening and was invited for a 1:1 interview the very next day. When I arrived I was asked to take a skill test very easy. Then I was called in by the recruiter. She simply pulled up my application and asked me what I did at my previous employer and why I left and sent me on my way. The interview took no more than 5 minutes. The interview seemed more like a screening than an actual interview. She stated to me I would be contacted in a week and never heard back from them. I attempted to contact the recruiter many times but it was impossible. I was disappointed that she did not even attempt to contact me back to let me know they had filled the position.

Production Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials in May 2010.

I applied online via a Monster.com post. Within a few days I came in for an interview with HR, filled out some basic information, then met with the Product Art department. I spoke with the production manager and took a few skills assessments tests. Shortly thereafter I spoke with other personnel within the department.

Interview Questions
    • Are you familiar with preflight and press check processes?   View Answer
    I was offered an hourly rate of pay. It was generous, and competitive, although there wasn't much in the way of negotiations.