Lakeshore Learning Materials

Updated Jun 2, 2015

2.4

Product Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials (Carson, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

The hiring process was Good!! Be prepared to have a phone interview and two face-to-face interviews. If you make it to the second interview, you will be expected to create something "Lakeshorey." They offered me the position at the second interview.

Interview Questions

• I thought the questions were all relative and you could answer them with confidence if you've been an educator.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They gave me more money than I ask for :-) No negotiations needed.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials (Torrance, CA).

Interview

Sent in my résumé and was called to come in for a interview the next day. Interview with HR and was told I would make a lot of money , it was a great company. I was told I would hear something in a week . Received a email a week later and was told they were looking for someone with education sales experience . I felt that was obvious by my résumé. I didn't understand why call someone in if that is what you want. I have met two other people that went through the same thing.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what you know about the selling to a educational organization   Answer Question

ASM Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials.

Interview

Multiple calls with HR, then in-store interview with store manager, followed by a call with the District Manager, and then the Regional Manager. Regional Manager didn't like an answer that I gave to a question so I was bounced out, but the District Manager had me re-interviewed by another Regional Manager and I was given the job.

Interview Questions

• Not difficult or unexpected, but they didn't like the answer that I provided to "Tell us about the best customer service you think you've provided to someone recently."   1 Answer

Seasonal Order Taker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials (Carson, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

The company called a few days after I had submitted an application. They asked me basic questions about availability, salary, and type of work I was interested in over the phone. I agreed to go for an interview the next day. I went in the next morning and they asked me to take a simple detail test to see if I could spot the errors on a worksheet. Then I got called in for the interview. It was pretty simple and relaxed. After the interview, I took a typing and 10-key test. I was then told to go back to the interviewer's office where she offered me the job.

Interview Questions

• What kind of things do you look for in a job or work environment?   1 Answer
    • What was one thing you didn't like about a previous job?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did ask for $10.00 an hour but they said they were willing to do $9.00 only. I took the job because I need money for the holidays.

Seasonal Order Taker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials (Carson, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by a person that conducted a pre-screen telephone interview. Once that completed she had be come into the office for test and formal interview. The test was very easy. The interview was conducted by a recruiter who kept looking out the window and it lasted a total of five minutes, if that. She talked mostly about the company. I was overqualified for the position. She kept referring back to my HR experience. I wanted a temp job for the holidays.

Interview Questions

• The questions were very generic.   1 Answer

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials (Carson, CA) in September 2012.

Interview

Quick phone interview, was called in for an in person interview, not called back for a second interview. When I asked what types of qualities they were looking for in their candidates, it kind of seemed like they were giving me the responses I wanted to hear based on the answers I gave them earlier in the interview. It was pretty quick, about 15 minutes, but I had to take a short quiz on error corrections to test my eye for detail beforehand. I thought it went really well, I think they wanted someone with more experience, even though they said personality is more important than experience because you can always train someone. Who knows?

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult, just looked over my resume and asked me questions off of that.   Answer Question

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials (Hartford, CT) in April 2012.

Interview

Initial phone screen was fairly standard, and lasted about 3 minutes. The initial phone screen was followed up by a phone screen from the hiring mgr., with more direct questions regarding my background - and why I would want the job.. I then had a live 1:1 meeting with the hiring Mgr, which lasted 30 minutes and pretty much covered the same subject matter. Lastly, I had a phone screen with one of the Presidents, covering the same basic resume review questions - and why I'd be a good fit for the job.

Interview Questions

• How would you interact with people that are on a much lower economic level than yourself?   2 Answers

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials (Carson, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

I applied on the company web site, then called HR directly, to express my interest. I received a return phone call a few hours later and was asked a few simple questions regarding my work history and salary expectations. I was then asked to come in for an interview a few days later in which I met with DEB who is the HR director. The interview was easy and confortable, she asked me initially to just talk about myself. After 45 minutes we closed the interview and she said I would hear from her in one week. Be sure to ask what the hiring process is seems kind of lengthy.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

Application

The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials (Carson, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

The process was superb. I'm not local to their headquarters so all communications happened between phone & email. They walked me through exactly why I am not a match of what they are looking for and the entire experience was truly refreshing. Just being considered was flattering to me and now I am more than impressed by the level of professionalism and kindness that Lakeshore's staff has displayed. Lakeshore is already bookmarked in my computer and I will check back frequently for openings. They are going to keep my information on file and I will be in touch should I see something I am interested in. Keep up the great work Lakeshore and thank you so much for your time!

Interview Questions

• Tell me a little about yourself?   1 Answer

Regional Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Lakeshore Learning Materials (Boston, MA) in June 2011.

Interview

All I can say is that this interview process was the worst in my professional career. The company reached out to me and then scheduled a telephone interview. Like many of the previous candidates I found that the Corporate HR people do not know a thing about interviewing or assessing a potential hire. They really don't want to know a thing about you - it's clear that they are inexperienced recruiters with little business experieince. I believe the internal person that interviewed me actually said that she took the job with Lakeshore because she couldn't cut it working for an agency. I also interviewed by phone with the Regional Sales Manager and found him to be crass and disrespectful to his market: educators. He actually said some not-so-nice things about the people he calls on! He comes from the office supply industry so who knows what their standards are? I interviewed in person and was ultimately told that I was "just not a fit" for Lakeshore Learning. You're right: I'm much too professional and classy and am glad that the job wasn't offered to me because I was not impressed with anyone that I met throughout the interview process. They had me jump through hoops just to accommodate their schedule (and I was working full time) but didn't even give me the courtesy of an honest answer as to why I wasn't "a fit". Good luck. It's no wonder why jobs are posted over and over again on Linkedin and job boards!

Interview Questions

• How are you going to handle it when you are calling on teachers that are earning next to the poverty level and you're earning great money?   1 Answer

See What Lakeshore Learning Materials Employees Are Saying

Current Anonymous Employee

Pros: “I'm paid just slightly above fair market to perform my job. Long hours are not expected. On-site daycare/preschool available to employees only. Having babies is de rigueur here...”“I'm paid just slightly above fair market to perform my job. Long hours are not expected. On-site daycare/preschool available to employees only. Having babies is de rigueur here. There's an exceptionally high percentage of pregnant women at this company at any given point in time. Good or bad, most employees are female. If I had to guess, most are high school graduate level with some college educated. Many employees have long tenures at Lakeshore. Despite the owners, the employees are amazing with few exceptions. Despite the "positive" that some employees have been there a long time, this is also a giant negative. Many are in constant fear of being fired and thus are terrified of change. Trying to update a process that's inefficient with a bunch of people who don't want to change anything is incredibly painful to swallow. Most employees are perky and friendly. Modest profit-sharing is offered after 2 years of employment.” – Full Review