Lam Research Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 7, 2014
Updated Aug 7, 2014
56 interviews

Financial Analyst Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lam Research.

One phone screen with hiring manager that leads to a series of interviews with hiring manager, recruiter, another manager within group, hiring manager's direct boss, and VP. Interviews typically last around 30 minutes and questions were primarily behavioral without any technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • Most of them were easy no unexpected or difficult ones   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate as this was my first job

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tualatin, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tualatin, OR

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Lam Research in April 2013.

A friend who worked at the company forwarded my resume. I eventually got a phone interview with a program manager, which involved a few technical and behavioral questions to gauge my background and interest. I was invited for an in-person interview, expenses on them.

The in-person interview consisted of a 45 minute presentation of my past research and then 6 or so one-on-one interviews with different program managers that lasted 30min each. There was a break for lunch, with my host program manager. The one-on-one interviews varied. Some asked a lot of technical questions and were more aggressive, others were friendlier and asked more behavior questions, or just about my past experience.

I can say for sure that it's okay to not do as-well in one of the one-on-one interviews as long as you do well on others. I left that day not thinking I did well, and didn't hear from them for nearly three weeks so assumed I didn't get it, but they called back three weeks later with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • If you have two CVD reactors that are exactly the same, running recipes that are exactly the same, but the growth rate comes out different, how would you troubleshoot it?   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate for a higher starting salary given my years of previous experience. My program manager called back the next day with a solid bump in offered salary, which I accepted.

Intern Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Lam Research.

HR screening, then first and second interview over phone, then got called that I got the job. Entire process took about two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Just asked me about my resume and a few basic technical questions related to the project.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lam Research.

It was pretty straight forward. first got a call. 20 minutes interview, then asked to for an on site interview. I really enjoyed the time I was being interviewed. There was two people interviewed me. Session took an hour and it was casual. some questions were novel and challenging.

Interview Questions
    thought it's not negociable, i didn't talk about it.

Mechanical Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

applied through the website, got a phone interview and in-person interview, many technical questions from the senior engineers (they all have PhD)

Interview Questions
    • be really careful on what you put in the resume, they will dig deep and ask you many questions about the fundamental of engineering   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Fremont, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Lam Research in April 2013.

Initially contacted by recruiter and had a phone interview. After the phone interview, contacted by recruiter again to set up in person interview. Interviewed with 5 people, one at a time. Mostly asked about my previous experiences, interests, and what I hoped to get out of the internship. Plenty of opportunity to ask them questions.

Interview Questions
    • Asked some theoretical design questions on what they were working on. Question statement was vague because they could not give me any details. Not particularly difficult though.   Answer Question

Technical Intern Interview

phone in for a tech intern, then on site

Field Service Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chandler, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Lam Research in August 2012.

Interview process was relatively painless and quick before an offer of employment was made. Salary negotiations were non-existent as they had their own way of calculating salary and refused to budge from that and would not take intangibles into consideration such as previous leadership or management experience. While they may think this is a way to save money it starts an employee off on the wrong foot with the company and leads to future animosity particularly when that employee realizes that others with less experience and education were hired at the same rate. This encourages employees to look elsewhere for employment upon that realization.

The work schedule was misrepresented by the hiring staff and not once was it mentioned that the schedule meant working every weekend. This perception of dishonesty is another mark on the hiring process and the company as a whole.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle stressful work situations with co-workers that you have no confidence in?   Answer Question
    No negotiations took place. They made an offer, I countered with an offer, they came back with the same offer saying it was final based on some analysis performed in New York for a position in Arizona. It was a take it or leave it proposition.

Process Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fremont, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Lam Research in February 2008.

Interview was scheduled within a couple of months of original application.
    The interview process was prety rigorous, with 9 interviewers, and took the entire day. Had to give a 1 hour presentation talk coming from academia. Questions were not too technical, only a couple required discussion at the board.

Interview Questions
    • How would you solve an undercut issue when etching silicon with top hard mask?   View Answer
    Very short, I did not bargain since a needed a job fast.

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Fremont, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Lam Research.

They called me after I submitted my resume two weeks later for a phone interview,
     then I was given onsite interview after another 2 weeks.
     I was asked to give a presentation and 11 people talked to me including the HR