Lamar University Interview Questions

Updated May 9, 2015

2.5

Student Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Lamar University.

Interview

2 interviews - 1 required from career and testing, the other is for the dept hiring you. Usually interview questions are pretty standard with dept specific questions thrown in. Limited number of jobs makes it slightly more competitive.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Minimum wage per hour, up to 20 hours per week is usually the norm.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaumont, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Lamar University (Beaumont, TX) in August 2014.

Interview

Most of the faculty are interested in PhD students. It is always beneficial to take the courses of the faculty before joining his research group. After sending my CV to the faculty, I was asked to explain one of his research papers.

Interview Questions

• Regarding research interests. I was given a research paper and was asked to explain.   Answer Question

Academic Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lamar University.

Interview

Met with the Dean, Associate Dean, and the head advisor in the Dean's conference room. Was asked typical interview questions, greatest strength, etc.

Interview Questions

• At least for me, the most difficult question was what was the best piece of advice ever given.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was called and we spoke about the salary. They offered me the highest salary within the classification.

Web Developer, Graduate Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaumont, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Lamar University (Beaumont, TX) in September 2012.

Interview

First you have to show your capability to the department head. If he likes your experience and resume he may want to talk to you face to face. If you are smart enough to show confident about the accomplishment of job requirements you are hired. There is only one position open at a time. So its almost mandatory to get a reference from the previous developer who is about to leave his position.

Interview Questions

• Not that hard. Basically questions about what you have done so far related to software development and database.   Answer Question

Assistant Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaumont, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lamar University (Beaumont, TX) in June 2011.

Interview

I met the the System Administrator of the Computer Science department at the a Physics expo at school towards the end of the Spring semester in may of of 2011. Towards the end of the Expo we exchanged phone numbers. In June of 2011, he calls me and ask about my interest on the open position. He goes on and ask about skills that I have that set me apart from others and also asked me a specific situation where I had to resolve a difficult problem. He asked me if I could send a copy of my resume to his email, that he would take to the department Chair to verify if I was eligible to work for the department. Three days later the System Administrator called me back saying that the department Chair would like to meet me in person. The Chair asked me about the same questions, we went over my resume and than he made me the offer to work part-time for the department while I was a full-time student.

Interview Questions

• Asked me a specific situation where I had to resolve a difficult problem.   Answer Question

Associate Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaumont, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Lamar University (Beaumont, TX) in August 2010.

Interview

I was recruited by a tenured professor to move to Lamar from another state university. It was late in the summer and it really put my university n a bind to replace me so quickly. However, I went, and the interview at Lamar was positive and pleasant. Everyone was friendly and positive and the questions mainly centered on my background and experience as a practitioner. They believed that one needed experience in the area they were teaching. I was a match!

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to provide your money out of your pocket for traveling to required meetings and conferences/   2 Answers

Negotiation

Salary and work load.

Adjunct Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaumont, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Lamar University (Beaumont, TX) in December 2009.

Interview

Because of my past experience with the professors and staff at Lamar, I was contacted by a close friend who knew of an opening in their department. (Networking is key!) I met with the Department Chair regarding the possibility of teaching part-time, and asked questions about expectations for an Adjunct Professor. Everyone was warm and friendly, and after completing the new hire paperwork and a day-long orientation process, I began teaching during the subsequent full term. The university did lose my new hire paperwork and I had to complete it a second time; however, that did not prevent me from starting my work on time.

Interview Questions

• n/a - All questions were typical and related to my work experience both teaching and in other industries. The most challenging questions was whether I was interested in teaching a class centered around material I had not used in a while.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Beaumont, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Lamar University (Beaumont, TX) in March 2009.

Interview

The statement of purpose is the main document required to get in to the University. There after experience in the filed of electrical engineering counts. Only 4 students will be give the research assistant job. If more than 4 are there, on performance basis the job will be given.

Recruitment Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaumont, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Lamar University (Beaumont, TX) in January 2008.

Interview

The office was very professional. Understanding the roles and responsibilities of the company was essential.

Interview Questions

• How vital do you feel part time employment is is to the University setting?   Answer Question
    • Are you familiar with the Career and Testing Center?   Answer Question

Assistant Network Administrator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Lamar University in May 2010.

Interview

It was very simple i would say as it was not for full-time job but it was scheduled for part time job and i got referred by one of my friend who was working there before. Nothing they just asked simple questions, college Grades, schedule, and past college experience.