Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey

Updated Dec 5, 2014
Updated Dec 5, 2014

3.3

Linux/Web Systems Administrator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey.

The Lampo Group's hiring process is designed to ensure you are a good fit for the company and the company is a good fit for you. Think of it as a long exploratory expedition for Lampo and you will not be disappointed by any timelines. It was interesting and I felt like I had a firm grasp on what my position would have been about and how the company operated, so extended time lines are not necessarily bad.

They used phone calls, video chat, in person interviews, a DISC profile assessment (which I appreciated), a written exam, a practical exam, and my written monthly budget as part of this process that spanned about two months. Between all the activities and interviews, I did something for this application twice a week for its duration. Through the whole process, I talked to 16 different people who were all very kind. The typical difficult interview questions could be asked no matter how far into the process we were.

One of the early tasks in the process was to fill out the DISC profile assessment, which gives a nice report of your personality. Lampo takes this report to heart. When I was on site touring their facility, every employee had part of this report printed out next to their picture. Also, the hiring manager and head of HR were reportedly discussing my profile heavily on my last call.

After two video chat sessions with the technical manager and team, I took a timed 9-question exam to evaluate my skills. Next, the practical exam was a simple AWS web server cluster I had to configure and document the process.

After that, they invited me on site for some in-person interviews. It was great to meet the teams I might be working for and see the facilities. Everything in the building I saw was well-kept and clean. The people in the halls smiled and were courteous, although the tie I was wearing tipped them off that I was interviewing. The in-person interview culminated with dinner with the hiring manager, CIO, and their spouses along with my spouse to interview her about the prospective new position. This is getting into the part of the process Lampo uses to see if the company is a good fit for you.

When they initially explained that part of the process, I assumed they meant they wanted to be completely transparent so that I could make the most informed decision. That was not it at all. Lampo makes this determination for you. After the on-site portion was over, I got a call from the head of HR and the hiring manager. They needed to make a choice of whether this was a good position for me. Based on a gut feeling, he said that it would be unkind for them to offer me a position at Lampo because I am not ready to make the move. It seemed odd to me because I felt like I was in a better position to make that call. They mentioned some unarticulated reservations they had, too, so maybe they did have a better reason they did not want to share with me. In the end, they wanted me to reapply after a few years when I am actually ready to move.

Interview Questions
    • They asked some of the difficult but standard interview questions well into the interview process.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey.

The first interview was a quick phone interview with questions like what do you know about Dave, what do you do in your spare time, are you ok with a biblical setting at work, etc. I was also asked about salary requirements in the first interview.

Marketing Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brentwood, TN

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey in July 2014.

Like others have said, the process is extremely long and they ask you what you know about Dave and his principles. I spoke with 5 or 6 different people (all of whom were great to speak with) over the course of 2 months. This ranged from people who I would directly work with and others who I would never interact with. There was also a knowledge and personality test before my 3rd or 4th call that I passed with flying colors. They were not very flexible with times, they gave you times that they were available and you had to work around their schedule or wait another week before you heard back. They offered to fly me out and put me in a hotel, but as I said, not very flexible and that kind of gave me a bad feeling. If you're not into Dave, his philosophies or a Christian, this probably isn't the place for you. Me personally, I like Dave and his principles, but after the process, it wasn't somewhere I wanted to work because I feel it's an organization that expects its employees to take a pay cut for the opportunity to work there, while paying it's top employees enormous salaries. The pay was pretty low for the position they were hiring, however I'm sure there was great opportunity for growth, but it would have taken me a few years just to make what I was currently making, which ultimately I wasn't willing to do. If you are someone who doesn't currently have a job and needs income, do not apply, you're wasting your time because it's probably going to take you 3 months from the time you apply to the time you get an offer. If you currently have a job, the process could be a blessing, you get to know them and they get to know you.

Interview Questions

The pay was not even close to my current salary and some of the other offers i received

Event Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brentwood, TN

I applied online – interviewed at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey.

Long process with several rounds of interviews. I made it past the 5th interview round and just knew in my gut this would not be a good fit for me or them. I made it through 2 phone interviews, 3 in person and one personality test. Great company, just not for me.

Interview Questions
    • Not really a question but they wanted links to every social media account I had. I have nothing to hide, it's just too intrusive for me.   Answer Question

Senior Marketer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey in May 2014.

Applied online and received a call rather quickly. Like other posters, the screening interview was geared toward personality, personal traits, etc. Tell me about a typical week Sunday thru Saturday. What do you know about Dave Ramsey? Is it a problem if the business is run on Biblical values. All odd questions for a typical interview, but apparently not for this company - no problem.
    As I dissect the interview it seems that they are hunting for those employees that can be "conquered"....no, maybe those that are able to be swayed..... certainly looking for those that can fit in. The interviewer was so enamoured with Dave Ramsey as a person I was thinking Jim Jones or some other cult like thing. I was cool with everything in the first 90% of the interview until he expressed his worship of Dave. I knew at that point that was not the place for me. Shortly afterwards I read an article about former employees on Twitter and Facebook and the wrath that followed. I was asked to take a personality test - Dave's own creation (not really - just a rehash (like many things in the portfolio) of other personality tests I have seen - Amiable/creative/driver etc.)
    Although I have followed Dave since day 1 on the radio and in recent years not so much - it can get monotonous - I don't think I could work there although overall I admire him as a capitalist/entrepreneur and how he wears his faith on his sleeve. In many ways his 'ministry' is great. That is a good thing to since I received a "sorry we are looking at other candidates" email.
    From online application to rejection email - 4 weeks or so.

Manager, IT Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey.

I got an interview through a friend who works at Lampo. I had applied for several positions online to no avail. Once my friend passed my resume along, I got a phone call in less than a day.

The initial screen with someone from HR was a culture check. They asked what I knew of Dave Ramsey and why I was interested in working for the company. They asked this at every level. It seemed like "has read up on different aspects of Lampo Corporation" was at the top of every interview checklist. Towards the end of the initial screen, they explained the interview process: that it included several rounds, that if I did well I would get called to Nashville multiple times for interviews, that there is a spousal interview, that we had to submit a family budget. The process is definitely unorthodox, but they're up front about it.

After the initial screen, I had to take a DISC assessment and a values review. This was like a personality test but not a Myers-Briggs. I did not agree with how the results labeled me and voiced this opinion to the HR contact. I never heard a response.

Round 2 was a video interview with four technology managers. They asked primarily IT Architect and Personnel development questions. Everyone on the interview was interrupted at least once. Two people had to leave the room. Everyone kept checking their phones.

Round 3 was a video interview with a senior manager. He asked almost identical questions to the previous interview. He was much more personable, though.

Round 4 was a tech screen with two architects. One guy seemed like he didn't want to be there and was slightly argumentative. The other guy was calm and relaxed. Definitely a good cop/bad cop scenario. They asked me questions about my experience, about what development I did, then asked me to review code. I do not program in the same languages they use, so I was unfamiliar with some of the code they asked me to review. Once that was finished, the argumentative guy started packing up his things to leave, even though the other guy was still asking questions. It was clear at that point I would not get the job. I was up front about my lack of experience in their development environment, but it seemed like they either did not know this was the case or were offended by it. Either way, its incredibly unprofessional to pack up and leave in the middle of an interview.

I got a call from someone else in HR a few weeks later, letting me know I didn't get the job.

SUMMARY: The process was long. I had four interviews over a three and a half month period. It was almost two months between rounds three and four. I had e-mailed and called my HR contact several times with no response and had already decided they passed on me when I got an interview one day, telling me "You have an interview scheduled with Lampo on THIS day at THIS time." No question of whether I was available at that time. No response to my previous e-mails. No explanation for the nearly two months of silence.

Everyone I spoke with seemed passionate about their work. That was encouraging. It definitely seems like a nice place to work, if you can make it past the grueling interview process. There was something ... off ... about the whole process, though, and I'm not just talking about the one unprofessional guy in the last interview.

For one ... I never knew which position I was going for. I had intended to apply for a Sneior developer or Development Manager position. From step one, they said I could be slotted into a multitude of positions from entry-level developer to IT Director, and THEY would make that decision FOR me. They didn't seem to care what I thought about it. It was only after I found out that I didn't get the job that I was being considered for a Manager position.

They asked for my desired salary three times. Had I continued, they would have asked for a personal budget. I understand that, given what Dave Ramsey does, but their stated reason was not "so that we ensure you're in line with our corporate mission" but rather "so we can offer you the amount WE think you need" which seemed awfully presumptuous.

Everyone seemed to care less about my experience and more about how enamored I am with Dave Ramsey. To be fair, I'm a DR fan. I listen to the radio show every now and again, I agree with all the debt reduction principles, and I'm working my way towards being debt free. But this "show us how much you love Dave" talk was kind of strange. It was almost cult-like.

The interviews themselves weren't bad, lack of communication and professionalism aside. Better than some I've had. Worse than others.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to review several pieces of code written in a language with which I am unfamiliar (Ruby)   View Answer

Executive Marketing Director Dave Ramsey Dot Com Position Interview

The application itself is incredibly in depth. It takes a couple hours or more to answer all the questions in the application. The application is virtually a mini- interview. Phone Interview to start then much more detailed interview process. Includes personality profiles and in depth application to even get the process started.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brentwood, TN

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey.

I had two interviews - one with someone for HR to see if I was a "culture fit," and another with the person who would be my direct supervisor. Both interviews were fine - lots of discussion about what working at the Lampo Group was like, with a few questions about my background/expertise.

After my second interview, I was told that they would be in touch with me within a week or two about next steps. I didn't hear anything for a few weeks, so I sent an email to the person who would have been my direct supervisor. The next day, I received a very nice email from someone in HR - not the direct supervisor - explaining that they were still trying to determine the next steps. Now, maybe they have a policy in place that says not to interact with job candidates, but I was very turned off by the fact that this person couldn't/wouldn't respond to their own email - that told me a lot about him/her and made me question whether or not I would want to work directly for this person.

Like many others who have posted here, I never heard back from anyone. To be honest, it bothered me that I didn't even get a "Thanks, but we've decided to go in a different direction/go with a different candidate" email, especially after two in-person interviews. In a former role, I used to hire people and always made sure to give them the courtesy of letting them know if they were or were not selected.

I still have a lot of respect for Mr. Ramsey, but not so much for some of this management staff. After reading some other interview experiences on this site, it sounds like this is "par for the course" unfortunately.

Interview Questions
    • "What do you know about our other speakers besides Dave Ramsey?"   Answer Question

Manager Interview

5 interviews: Initial phone screen, HR "culture" interview, then with VPs and up the chain. Each one progressively more intense and longer.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to help people get out of debt? (Unexpected because I wasn't directly doing this work.)   Answer Question

Director Position Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey in August 2013.

1) 3 hour application on their website
    2) Personality Assessment
    3) Skype interview with hiring manager
    4) Drive across the country (out of state) for a full day of interviews
    5) Drive across the country again (out of state) a week later for second day of interviews and spousal interview/dinner

After two trips to TN for interviews including a spousal interview, I was told by the hiring manager that he would call me by 5pm the next day. He never called. By late the following day when no one called, I called and spoke with the HR Director because I was told they wanted me to start ASAP and was currently employed where I had to give a notice that evening in order to make their schedule. HR told me they were waiting to hear from some people I had interviewed with during my first day of interviews. Which left me wondering why they had me drive across the country a second time with my wife for more interviews if they hadn't even spoken with the people from the first day of interviews?

The next day I did get a call from the HR Director and told that I was not to be offered the job. I was surprised because the interviews seemed to go well (under the circumstances considering I was grilled for hours on end by 12+ people) and they had given both myself and my wife every indication that an offer would be forthcoming (including a full discussion of the compensation package and advice on where to look for housing). I mentioned that as this process has taken up a considerable amount of time and energy, I thought it fair that they at least give me some reason for their decision so I could at least learn from the experience. He agreed that this was fair and committed to following up with me. That was two months ago and I've never heard back from him.