Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey

Relevance Date Difficulty

Event Producer Interview

Event Producer
Brentwood, TN

I applied online and interviewed at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey.

Interview Details – Long process with several rounds of interviews. I made it past the 5th interview round and just knew in my gut this would not be a good fit for me or them. I made it through 2 phone interviews, 3 in person and one personality test. Great company, just not for me.

Interview Question – Not really a question but they wanted links to every social media account I had. I have nothing to hide, it's just too intrusive for me.   Answer Question

Senior Marketer Interview

Senior Marketer

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a call rather quickly. Like other posters, the screening interview was geared toward personality, personal traits, etc. Tell me about a typical week Sunday thru Saturday. What do you know about Dave Ramsey? Is it a problem if the business is run on Biblical values. All odd questions for a typical interview, but apparently not for this company - no problem.
As I dissect the interview it seems that they are hunting for those employees that can be "conquered"....no, maybe those that are able to be swayed..... certainly looking for those that can fit in. The interviewer was so enamoured with Dave Ramsey as a person I was thinking Jim Jones or some other cult like thing. I was cool with everything in the first 90% of the interview until he expressed his worship of Dave. I knew at that point that was not the place for me. Shortly afterwards I read an article about former employees on Twitter and Facebook and the wrath that followed. I was asked to take a personality test - Dave's own creation (not really - just a rehash (like many things in the portfolio) of other personality tests I have seen - Amiable/creative/driver etc.)
Although I have followed Dave since day 1 on the radio and in recent years not so much - it can get monotonous - I don't think I could work there although overall I admire him as a capitalist/entrepreneur and how he wears his faith on his sleeve. In many ways his 'ministry' is great. That is a good thing to since I received a "sorry we are looking at other candidates" email.
From online application to rejection email - 4 weeks or so.

Interview Question – Nothing was really unexpected thanks to Glassdoor   Answer Question

Manager, IT Interview

Manager, IT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey.

Interview Details – I got an interview through a friend who works at Lampo. I had applied for several positions online to no avail. Once my friend passed my resume along, I got a phone call in less than a day.

The initial screen with someone from HR was a culture check. They asked what I knew of Dave Ramsey and why I was interested in working for the company. They asked this at every level. It seemed like "has read up on different aspects of Lampo Corporation" was at the top of every interview checklist. Towards the end of the initial screen, they explained the interview process: that it included several rounds, that if I did well I would get called to Nashville multiple times for interviews, that there is a spousal interview, that we had to submit a family budget. The process is definitely unorthodox, but they're up front about it.

After the initial screen, I had to take a DISC assessment and a values review. This was like a personality test but not a Myers-Briggs. I did not agree with how the results labeled me and voiced this opinion to the HR contact. I never heard a response.

Round 2 was a video interview with four technology managers. They asked primarily IT Architect and Personnel development questions. Everyone on the interview was interrupted at least once. Two people had to leave the room. Everyone kept checking their phones.

Round 3 was a video interview with a senior manager. He asked almost identical questions to the previous interview. He was much more personable, though.

Round 4 was a tech screen with two architects. One guy seemed like he didn't want to be there and was slightly argumentative. The other guy was calm and relaxed. Definitely a good cop/bad cop scenario. They asked me questions about my experience, about what development I did, then asked me to review code. I do not program in the same languages they use, so I was unfamiliar with some of the code they asked me to review. Once that was finished, the argumentative guy started packing up his things to leave, even though the other guy was still asking questions. It was clear at that point I would not get the job. I was up front about my lack of experience in their development environment, but it seemed like they either did not know this was the case or were offended by it. Either way, its incredibly unprofessional to pack up and leave in the middle of an interview.

I got a call from someone else in HR a few weeks later, letting me know I didn't get the job.

SUMMARY: The process was long. I had four interviews over a three and a half month period. It was almost two months between rounds three and four. I had e-mailed and called my HR contact several times with no response and had already decided they passed on me when I got an interview one day, telling me "You have an interview scheduled with Lampo on THIS day at THIS time." No question of whether I was available at that time. No response to my previous e-mails. No explanation for the nearly two months of silence.

Everyone I spoke with seemed passionate about their work. That was encouraging. It definitely seems like a nice place to work, if you can make it past the grueling interview process. There was something ... off ... about the whole process, though, and I'm not just talking about the one unprofessional guy in the last interview.

For one ... I never knew which position I was going for. I had intended to apply for a Sneior developer or Development Manager position. From step one, they said I could be slotted into a multitude of positions from entry-level developer to IT Director, and THEY would make that decision FOR me. They didn't seem to care what I thought about it. It was only after I found out that I didn't get the job that I was being considered for a Manager position.

They asked for my desired salary three times. Had I continued, they would have asked for a personal budget. I understand that, given what Dave Ramsey does, but their stated reason was not "so that we ensure you're in line with our corporate mission" but rather "so we can offer you the amount WE think you need" which seemed awfully presumptuous.

Everyone seemed to care less about my experience and more about how enamored I am with Dave Ramsey. To be fair, I'm a DR fan. I listen to the radio show every now and again, I agree with all the debt reduction principles, and I'm working my way towards being debt free. But this "show us how much you love Dave" talk was kind of strange. It was almost cult-like.

The interviews themselves weren't bad, lack of communication and professionalism aside. Better than some I've had. Worse than others.

Interview Question – They asked me to review several pieces of code written in a language with which I am unfamiliar (Ruby)   View Answer

Executive Marketing Director Dave Ramsey Dot Com Position Interview

Executive Marketing Director Dave Ramsey Dot Com Position

Interviewed at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey

Interview Details – The application itself is incredibly in depth. It takes a couple hours or more to answer all the questions in the application. The application is virtually a mini- interview. Phone Interview to start then much more detailed interview process. Includes personality profiles and in depth application to even get the process started.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Dave Ramsey   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Director Position Interview

Director Position

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey in August 2013.

Interview Details – 1) 3 hour application on their website
2) Personality Assessment
3) Skype interview with hiring manager
4) Drive across the country (out of state) for a full day of interviews
5) Drive across the country again (out of state) a week later for second day of interviews and spousal interview/dinner

After two trips to TN for interviews including a spousal interview, I was told by the hiring manager that he would call me by 5pm the next day. He never called. By late the following day when no one called, I called and spoke with the HR Director because I was told they wanted me to start ASAP and was currently employed where I had to give a notice that evening in order to make their schedule. HR told me they were waiting to hear from some people I had interviewed with during my first day of interviews. Which left me wondering why they had me drive across the country a second time with my wife for more interviews if they hadn't even spoken with the people from the first day of interviews?

The next day I did get a call from the HR Director and told that I was not to be offered the job. I was surprised because the interviews seemed to go well (under the circumstances considering I was grilled for hours on end by 12+ people) and they had given both myself and my wife every indication that an offer would be forthcoming (including a full discussion of the compensation package and advice on where to look for housing). I mentioned that as this process has taken up a considerable amount of time and energy, I thought it fair that they at least give me some reason for their decision so I could at least learn from the experience. He agreed that this was fair and committed to following up with me. That was two months ago and I've never heard back from him.

Marketing Interview

Marketing
Brentwood, TN

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey.

Interview Details – I had two interviews - one with someone for HR to see if I was a "culture fit," and another with the person who would be my direct supervisor. Both interviews were fine - lots of discussion about what working at the Lampo Group was like, with a few questions about my background/expertise.

After my second interview, I was told that they would be in touch with me within a week or two about next steps. I didn't hear anything for a few weeks, so I sent an email to the person who would have been my direct supervisor. The next day, I received a very nice email from someone in HR - not the direct supervisor - explaining that they were still trying to determine the next steps. Now, maybe they have a policy in place that says not to interact with job candidates, but I was very turned off by the fact that this person couldn't/wouldn't respond to their own email - that told me a lot about him/her and made me question whether or not I would want to work directly for this person.

Like many others who have posted here, I never heard back from anyone. To be honest, it bothered me that I didn't even get a "Thanks, but we've decided to go in a different direction/go with a different candidate" email, especially after two in-person interviews. In a former role, I used to hire people and always made sure to give them the courtesy of letting them know if they were or were not selected.

I still have a lot of respect for Mr. Ramsey, but not so much for some of this management staff. After reading some other interview experiences on this site, it sounds like this is "par for the course" unfortunately.

Interview Question – "What do you know about our other speakers besides Dave Ramsey?"   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager

Interviewed at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey

Interview Details – 5 interviews: Initial phone screen, HR "culture" interview, then with VPs and up the chain. Each one progressively more intense and longer.

Interview Question – Why do you want to help people get out of debt? (Unexpected because I wasn't directly doing this work.)   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Brentwood, TN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey in July 2013.

Interview Details – The most reliable way to get selected for the interview process is to know someone who works at the company. I have a 3rd person connection who got me established with HR and then I was set up for the standard screening process. They sent me a DISC personality test, which they use very heavily in determining a good fit for departments/coworkers, etc. Then, I was scheduled for an initial interview. It consisted of about 5 questions: what you know about Dave Ramsey, why you want to work there, what your top 2-3 strengths are, 2-3 areas of improvement, and tell me something about yourself I wouldn't know from your resume. The interview concluded and I was told my application would move into the hands of 2 depts hiring for the position. My LinkedIn account showed a few visits to my profile from The Lampo Group. Then I received an email that I was not selected for one of the positions and I haven't heard anything since.

Interview Question – Tell me something about yourself I wouldn't know from your resume.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Sales
Brentwood, TN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey in June 2009.

Interview Details – Be prepared for lots of interviews. An initial talk with HR to make sure you fit the culture. Then one with your direct supervisor. Another one with their VP and then the EVP over them. Another interview with your spouse and theirs. At least 4-5 interviews minimum.

Interview Question – What makes you think you can do this job? (I had no previous sales experience.)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much room for negotiation. The commission structure is set and you can accept it or not.

Marketing Interview

Marketing
Nashville, TN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey in June 2011.

Interview Details – Interview process was long (about 3 months) but necessary.
Met with HR Hiring Manager, those who would be my direct leaders, head of HR, head of my department and potential team members.
Any questions I had were answered promptly and clearly.
No unexpected questions or questions too personal in nature.

Interview Question – What questions do you have for us?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy, painless. Offer was actually more than what I expected/needed.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey interview questions and advice. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey employees and interview candidates.