Landmark Information Group Ltd

2.0

Interviews for Top Jobs at Landmark Information Group Ltd

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Exeter, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Landmark Information Group Ltd.

Initial communications was via my agent, followed by a telephone interview of basic C#, XAML questions. The phone interview was held by the development manager - not technical themselves, and was done from a script.

The second stage was an interview at the office with a simple C# programming 'challenge' to read a file, store contents of the file into a db, read back from the db, order the results (not allowed to use 'order by' LINQ) and store back into a file.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really, it seemed like they had gone through the guide to interview questions and picked them out.   Answer Question
    They told my agent I had passed all the tests with flying colours and then tried to cheap out on the salary range. Initially the job was advertised at 35-40K, and they tried to go for 36 at first.

I went back for 40, and they came back with 39. If you want to try to go for the cheaper end of the market - don't tell the agent how well the interview went.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Exeter, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Landmark Information Group Ltd in November 2012.

Three interviews over a period of weeks...

1. Telephone interview with Development manager. Very simple Java based questions. I had the distinct impression that the interviewer was either consulting with others, or the internet to assert information (questions or answers) - long pauses on mute!

2. Detailed Technical F2F with Dev. manager & a developer. More detailed technical investigations of scenarios and technologies (e.g. Hibernate and Spring) Nothing too difficult, although the made-up scenario was confusing.

3. F2F Java speed test & interview including HR. One hour Java speed test, followed by very straight forward 'non-technical' interview

In the whole process, no real reference was made to current or past work, and I was never shown around the premises

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions for a seasoned Java developer (incl. the required technologies).

The big problem was the java 'speed test'.

View Answer

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Henley on Thames, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Henley on Thames, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Landmark Information Group Ltd in November 2008.

This position was quite urgent, and the company had been sent quite a few duff candidates, so they were screening candidates first with a phone interview (very simple questions - just to ensure you had actually used Java before, eg. difference between Vector and ArrayList; list all the access modifiers, etc - nothing too taxing, in fact i was very surprised and expected something a lot more intensive).

The face to face interview that then took place a few days later was likewise not too taxing. They started off quite easily with introductions, and explaining what the company does. They then went into more detail about my previous work. Questions such as how would an MVC application be structured, etc.

There were a number of odd questions asked, too, such as:
    1) What Simpsons character are you most like?
    2) If you were a chocolate bar, which one would you be?
    3) Who do you most admire in history?

These questions seem to be asked in order to see if you have a sense of humour, and to determine more about your personality. Personality fit for that company is very important since they have a very low staff turnover rate, and this is how they manage that.

I was asked what salary I wanted, and I stated a figure (Which was £5k over the max advertised salary for the role). When the offer came (later that day, or the next, Ive forgotten which), via the agency, it was the salary figure I had stated