Landon IP The Art of Patent Searching

Very Easy Interview

Patent Analyst Interview

Patent Analyst
Alexandria, VA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Landon IP The Art of Patent Searching.

Interview Details – I initially applied to Landon IP via their company website to a listed opening. I was subsequently contacted by email to set up a telephone interview.

The first interview was with an HR representative and lasted approximately 20 minutes over telephone. I was asked general questions that equated to exactly what was on my resume. I was told I would be contacted again shortly via email. I received an email a day or so later to schedule the next interview.

The second interview was with a different HR representative and lasted approximately 20 minutes over telephone. This was identical to the first interview and the HR representative seemed to have little to no knowledge of the previous interview. I was told I would be contacted again shortly via email. I received an email a day or so later to schedule the next interview.

The third interview was with the Manager I would be working under if hired. This interview lasted approximately 30 minutes over telephone and I was asked to describe the specifics of my work experience and the details of my prior positions. The interviewer was pleasant, easy to speak to, and knowledgable. I was told I would be contacted again shortly via email. I received an email a day or so later telling me that my skills did not match the open position, but there was a position in a different department that I was qualified for. I was told I'd be emailed to schedule the next interview. I received an email a day or so later to schedule the next interview.

The fourth interview was with the new Manager I would be working under if hired. This was identical to the third interview and lasted an identical 30 minutes over telephone. I was told I'd be emailed to inform me of the outcome. I received an email a day or so later to schedule an "in-person" interview at the company's headquarter.

The fifth interview was with the Manager from the fourth interview and was identical to the fourth interview, but was "in-person". I was specifically told in an email via the first HR rep to dress business casual - I even responded to ask if they were sure that it was appropriate for an interview and was told I would be VERY out of place in business formal attire. Of course, the first question I was asked by the Manager at the in-person interview was "Why are you not wearing a suit?".

The Manager was disorganized and asked me to go over all the questions from our previous interview. I was then taken around the office to meet other managers (I felt like I was being showed off and pawned off at the same time, it was unusual and uncomfortable). I was introduced to some of my future coworkers even though I had not been offered the job yet. This "interview" was very unprofessional. The Manager spent nearly 30 minutes bad-mouthing my previous employer. At one point I was left for 10 minutes with another manager to be babysat while she went to speak to an employee or two. The Manager was visibly angry that I did not recall my exact college GPA (in-major and overall). I had seven full years of near identical work experience to the position being sought and provided references, but the GPA seem much more important. I informed the Manager of what I recalled it being, but would have to check my transcripts to be certain and that I would email the Manager the exact GPA as soon as possible after the interview. The Manager was very dissatisfied with this. After roughly an hour, I was thanked for my time and informed of how tight finances were and that I would only receive an email if Landon IP were going to offer me a position. I was told not to get my hopes up.

I received a job offer two days later via email that explained salary, health benefits, insurance, leave policy, etc.

The entire process was disorderly and unpleasant compared to the dozen or so other interviews I had been on up to that date in time.

Interview Question – All questions were about my previous work experience; there were no questions that required on-the-spot thinking, decision making, or problem solving.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Landon IP was inflexible on every aspect of the offer sheet except for relocation expenses. My salary was predetermined based on my previous experience (so I was told). Since I was moving from several states away to their headquarters in Alexandria, VA (a VERY expensive area), I was allowed a one-time "moving bonus" that would have to be repaid in full if I voluntarily quit or was fired in the first two years of employment.

Patent Analyst Interview

Patent Analyst
Alexandria, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Landon IP The Art of Patent Searching in February 2013.

Interview Details – Pretty much your standard job interview, in an empty conference room. You may meet the boss's boss. The usual questions.

Interview Question – You good at working excel?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They tell you.

Accounting Specialist Interview

Accounting Specialist
Alexandria, VA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Landon IP The Art of Patent Searching in December 2010.

Interview Details – Went very well

Negotiation Details – No need to negotiate

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bilingual Patent Analyst - London Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Landon IP The Art of Patent Searching in January 2013.

Interview Details – Interview process lasted 3 months with 6 interview stages and no correspondence for 2 weeks between each stage. Process was tiring and long.

Initial phone interview with recruiter, technical interviews with two people from Virginia, 1-1 with London manager, language telephone interviews, languages translation, opinion about patent translations. Each stage lasted 2 hours.

The London manager did not like that I have 6 years patent experience, and he was unhappy because I had "too many skills" as they told me. I was turned down for being 'over-qualified.' My views of them are that they prefer graduates with no previous patent experience.

Interview Question – Are you a perfectionist only at work or also at home too?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Landon IP The Art of Patent Searching? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Landon IP The Art of Patent Searching interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Landon IP The Art of Patent Searching employees and interview candidates.