Landor Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2015

3.1

Director, Strategy Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Landor.

Interview

HR was extremely professional and respectful of my time, experience and generally interested in getting to know me as an individual. The C Suite was matter of fact and did not engage in a dialogue - I listened more than shared anything about myself, my POV or approach.

Interview Questions

• Would I bring talent and/or clients with me regardless of my ethical or contractual obligation to my current employer?   1 Answer

Culturally it was not the right fit.

Client Services Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Landor.

Interview

I emailed in my résumé, cover letter, and (optional) work samples, and within three weeks received an email requesting a first-round interview with a Senior Strategist. The second round was with a Client Manager about a week and a half later, and the third and final round was with both a Senior Director and HR Coordinator a little over two weeks after that. All three interviews were conducted over the phone, and all of the interviewers were very friendly and engaged. It was clear that they enjoy what they do and want to see the same level of interest and enthusiasm from job candidates. I'd recommend that applicants demonstrate their competency by making thoughtful observations about current branding issues and by communicating what they know about Landor specifically, not brand consulting firms in general. Company leaders regularly contribute to business publications and other news media, so this shouldn't be difficult.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The pay rate is non-negotiable and there's no housing stipend; however, the company does allow for some flexibility with start and end dates.

Designer Interview

Interview

Very "unfriendly" first impression. Felt rushed through the process and like I was intruding on peoples' time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Landor (New York, NY).

Interview

I sent my resume for the internship and was contacted first by the intern coordinator and later by HR. Both behavioral and experiential-based interviews. They asked about my past internships, why I was interested in branding, about classes, etc. HR also seemed interested in what other types of companies I was applying to, if any.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite brand and why?   1 Answer

Client Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Landor (Cincinnati, OH) in June 2013.

Interview

I was prepared for this interview, but the format was not conveyed to me beforehand and was rushed and unexpected. I arrived twenty minutes early, and the HR manager seemed thrown off by this. The interview process was chunked into three 30 minute meetings with different teams. Each team had their own set of questions and personality - I made connections with each of the brand leaders and asked them questions about their leadership styles and things they appreciated about the company and how their team functioned as a group. I was told the hiring would be very quick as they had a lot of work and needed to get started immediately, but then came in for a second interview with yet another team two weeks later. I did not hear back for another three weeks and rightly guessed that they had moved forward with other candidates who were more entry level. It seems like a great place to work with fun people who work and play hard.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

Contacted by HR via email. Process of scheduling interviews was frustrating; HR frequently responded late, causing delays. When interviewing, discovered that the position would be freelance rather than full-time, and this was never made clear since I had applied for a full-time position. Interview itself went well, but office environment is a lot more corporate than creative. During interview I think it became clear that this was not the position I was seeking, and I never followed up.

Interview Questions

• Mostly questions regarding branding or my interests in branding   Answer Question

Executive Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Landor (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Landor will occasionally use outside contract consultants for several years and then hire them in. That was my process and experience.

Negotiation

Several weeks of back and forth over details. Legal counsel was needed over one or two points of the offer letter.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Landor (New York, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

I made initial contact with Landor through my university's career center. My first conversation was a 30 minute informational interview not related to formal recruitment. Though pleasant, the Client Services Associate I spoke with seemed to know little about the company, what made Landor unique, how his/her role related to strategy (I made it clear this is what I was hoping to get out of an internship), and how teams engaged with clients. I was also kept waiting a full half hour before receiving a phone call, but was not asked if I still had time to take the call. The second conversation was about two weeks later with the same associate, this time directly related to recruitment for the internship. The associate was, for the second time, just over 30 minutes late calling me. It was a 1:1 interview and the associate knew we spoke recently, but continued to ask the exact same set of questions as if we had never met. I figured it was procedure, but still seemed very odd given we had already talked. I had prepared to go much more in depth and was not given the chance to do so. I asked a different set of questions to the associate this time but continued being met with responses that did not prove he/she was knowledgable or enthusiastic about the work.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions are particularly challenging. You should be prepared to talk about why you're interested in branding, what your favorite brands are, and why you're interested in Landor. It's a very plain procedure.   Answer Question

Strategy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Landor (San Francisco, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

Somewhat relaxed interview process with most attention paid to cultural fit and then discipline expertise. Tip - show real passion for what you are seeking to do and show collaborative attitude. Much emphasis is placed on creativity, regardless of role so be sure to talk about how you are creative in what you do (even for non-design roles).

Interview Questions

• What are some key changes you've noticed in how brands are built today from say five or ten years ago?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is some room but not much. Pick the fewest most important things a d focus on that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Landor (New York, NY) in April 2011.

Interview

I had separate interviews with a Client Associate and a Client Director (the intern coordinator) over Skype. They were around half an hour each and no longer than an hour. The hiring process happened very quickly, and the firm was great at following up. They asked me standard behavioral questions, such as, why I wanted to work in the industry and, specifically, at the firm. They also gauged my understanding of branding by asking me what my favorite brands were and how I would improve a brand that may not be doing so well. To succeed in the interviewing process, I think candidates should show an articulate point of view, because the interviewers want to know how you think and how you could contribute to client projects.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate the salary but negotiated an alternative start date.