Latham & Watkins

12 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Project Assistant Interview

Project Assistant

I applied online and interviewed at Latham & Watkins.

Interview Details – Got an email about a week after I submitted my application online to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview wasn't really a real "interview" but just answered about two questions about my background. Then I went in for an in-person interview. No trick questions, just typical questions that you would expect from an interview. I interviewed with two HR managers. Very friendly and nice.

Interview Question – If you had three projects with the same deadlines, how would you prioritize your work?   Answer Question

Practice Support Specialist Interview

Practice Support Specialist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Latham & Watkins in October 2011.

Interview Details – Interview process was excellent, they accommodated my location, times and overall availability and were extremely helpful throughout the entire process. Both HR and the hiring managers were friendly and asked excellent questions.

Interview Question – I can't remember specifically what the most difficult was, but they asked some very intelligent questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very easy, the HR pfoessional I dealt with was wonderful.

Litigation Paralegal Interview

Litigation Paralegal
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Latham & Watkins.

Interview Details – I interviewed with about 5 different senior paralegals on the same day & had an excellent, relaxed & informative conversation with each of them. They showed me around the office & informed me of what exactly a Paralegal does as I had zero experience at the time. New hires in my position begin as Project Assistants, which is essentially an entry-level Paralegal/Legal Assistant. Aside from discussing work-related issues they each made an effort to talk with me about my personal interests & past travels, which made the entire process less stressful. Ultimately, I was happy & optimistic when I left the interviews & actually got a call the very next day to ask when I could start working there. I really loved the people & enjoyed my time there immensely despite the sometimes hectic & very long hours.

Interview Question – Honestly, I don't recall any questions that were too technical or difficult to answer. The only one that I got self-conscious about was when I was asked if I planned on going to law school anytime in the new future because I worried saying yes might ruin my chances of getting hired.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I started with a base salary of about $38,000 & was generously compensated for all the over-time & weekends spent in the office. I also received an end of the year bonus based on peer reviews & hours billed to clients.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
New York, NY

The process took 4 months - interviewed at Latham & Watkins.

Interview Details – Behavioral-type questions about past experiences and work habits.

Interview Question – Questions where you give examples of a mistake and how you solved it, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase

Project Assistant Interview

Project Assistant

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Latham & Watkins.

Interview Details – One interview in office. Very straightforward, just questions from my resume.

Summer Associate Interview

Summer Associate
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Latham & Watkins.

Interview Details – Submitted resume through law school for on-campus screening interview, which was accepted. The interview was one-on-one for a little more than half an hour. Shortly afterwards, was invited to firm for follow-up interviews, which was with six different associates and partners for half an hour, plus an hour-long lunch with two more attorneys. They tried to match interviewers with interests and desired practice areas. Offers were extended by phone within a few weeks after the callback interviews.

Interview Question – The interview lunch, though that doesn't exactly count as an interview "question." It's more of a situation test to see how well you can handle the kind of social situation that is the bread and butter of business development and client interaction.   Answer Question

Attorney, 4th-Year Interview

Attorney, 4th-Year
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Latham & Watkins in September 2008.

Interview Details – Hiring is largely driven by the second-year summer associate program; I assume it is much more difficult and market-driven to get hired as a third year law school student.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions; most difficult part was demonstrating fit.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There are no negotiations.

Associate Interview

Associate
New York, NY

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Latham & Watkins in January 2010.

Interview Details – The job was obtained through a recruiting firm. There was an initial meeting with a partner, followed by meetings with a couple more partners and a few associates. The meetings were held at the firm's office. Second round had a greater focus on fit and personality. Offer came within a couple of weeks.

Interview Question – Why don't you want to stay with your current firm?   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Summer Associate
San Francisco, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Latham & Watkins in October 2007.

Interview Details – I did on campus interview, which was a brief 20 minute interview with a partner from the Silicon Valley office. This was mostly a fit interview. They asked questions about my resume and why I was looking to work in SF, etc. Then I had a call back that went from 9 a.m. to after lunch. They gave me an offer on the spot, right after the lunch with a couple of associates.

Interview Question – N/A - though they might ask these kinds of questions to laterals, this is not something they ask to summers   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You can't negotiate. You might be able to get some better fringe benefits - like moving expense, etc. but that's it.

Legal Secretary Interview

Legal Secretary

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Latham & Watkins in June 2008.

Interview Details – A lot of back and forth. Several different meetings.

Interview Question – If you were any kind of animal, what would you be?   Answer Question

Worked for Latham & Watkins? Contribute to the Community!