Latham & Watkins Interview Questions

Updated May 13, 2015

2.8

Business Services Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Latham & Watkins (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Phone Interview followed by a 3 hour recruitment event. First hour was getting to know the company, second hour was a group exercise, last hour was speed networking with members of the firm.

Business Service Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Latham & Watkins (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied on their webpage, got an email about 2 weeks later asking for a phone screening. The process took about 3+ weeks. I had a short phone interview with a very helpful HR lady and then they brought me in for an orientation/interview type conference which was unique and pretty fun--about 30 recent grads do some exercises and "speed interviewing". The next day I was invited back for another interview (this was a more formal one) which I thought went really well though after one more week I was not offered a position unfortuantely though I had a great experience.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral based interviews that you would expect, some fun ones like what type of music do you like or tell me about your personal hero   Answer Question

Project Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Latham & Watkins.

Interview

Got an email about a week after I submitted my application online to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview wasn't really a real "interview" but just answered about two questions about my background. Then I went in for an in-person interview. No trick questions, just typical questions that you would expect from an interview. I interviewed with two HR managers. Very friendly and nice.

Interview Questions

• If you had three projects with the same deadlines, how would you prioritize your work?   Answer Question

Litigation Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Latham & Watkins (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I interviewed with about 5 different senior paralegals on the same day & had an excellent, relaxed & informative conversation with each of them. They showed me around the office & informed me of what exactly a Paralegal does as I had zero experience at the time. New hires in my position begin as Project Assistants, which is essentially an entry-level Paralegal/Legal Assistant. Aside from discussing work-related issues they each made an effort to talk with me about my personal interests & past travels, which made the entire process less stressful. Ultimately, I was happy & optimistic when I left the interviews & actually got a call the very next day to ask when I could start working there. I really loved the people & enjoyed my time there immensely despite the sometimes hectic & very long hours.

Interview Questions

• Honestly, I don't recall any questions that were too technical or difficult to answer. The only one that I got self-conscious about was when I was asked if I planned on going to law school anytime in the new future because I worried saying yes might ruin my chances of getting hired.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I started with a base salary of about $38,000 & was generously compensated for all the over-time & weekends spent in the office. I also received an end of the year bonus based on peer reviews & hours billed to clients.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Latham & Watkins (New York, NY).

Interview

Behavioral-type questions about past experiences and work habits.

Interview Questions

• Questions where you give examples of a mistake and how you solved it, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation phase

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Latham & Watkins (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

Pretty simple OCI stuff. The interviewer was much more laid back than some of the folks from different firms, but I guess that's what might have caught me off-guard. I may have been a bit too casual with him since he seemed pretty laid back. In hind sight, I could've figured out a better way to remain professional while being laid back like he was at the same time.

Project Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Latham & Watkins.

Interview

One interview in office. Very straightforward, just questions from my resume.

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Latham & Watkins (New York, NY).

Interview

Submitted resume through law school for on-campus screening interview, which was accepted. The interview was one-on-one for a little more than half an hour. Shortly afterwards, was invited to firm for follow-up interviews, which was with six different associates and partners for half an hour, plus an hour-long lunch with two more attorneys. They tried to match interviewers with interests and desired practice areas. Offers were extended by phone within a few weeks after the callback interviews.

Interview Questions

• The interview lunch, though that doesn't exactly count as an interview "question." It's more of a situation test to see how well you can handle the kind of social situation that is the bread and butter of business development and client interaction.   Answer Question

Practice Support Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Latham & Watkins in October 2011.

Interview

Interview process was excellent, they accommodated my location, times and overall availability and were extremely helpful throughout the entire process. Both HR and the hiring managers were friendly and asked excellent questions.

Interview Questions

• I can't remember specifically what the most difficult was, but they asked some very intelligent questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very easy, the HR pfoessional I dealt with was wonderful.

Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Latham & Watkins (Washington, DC) in October 2011.

Interview

There were two interviews in total. The first interview was a group interview with the people I would be working with directly. It took place in a conference room and lasted about an hour. The second interview took most of the day. I met with the same people that interviewed me the first time, plus a few other attorney's who I would work with indirectly.

Interview Questions

• All of the questions were specific to the job I would perform. No abstract questions like "tell me about a time when you were challenged by...". It was very straightforward.   Answer Question