Latham & Watkins

2.9

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Latham & Watkins in September 2014.

Applied online and heard back within several days by phone. The first interview was conducted by one of their in-house HR recruiters and consisted of general questions such as what type of salary range I expected and why I was seeking employment at Latham & Watkins. I was Invited to a second interview at the Global Services office for a total of four hours. The second interview consisted of a Microsoft Excel assessment test and a junior analyst scenario exam. Additionally, there were one-on-one interviews with three members of their senior financial analyst management team. Questions asked by management included: Are you willing to work late? What sets you apart from other candidates? Area of Residence / Describe your Strengths/Weaknesses. After completing the second interview-- I heard back the next day and was invited to a third stage interview the following week. The final interview lasted for four hours. Six members of their financial analyst team including a VP level director-- each interview was one-on-one and lasted roughly 30-45 minutes. The atmosphere during the third interview was rather relaxed and in general seemed to gauge how you would fit at the organization-- questions were more personal and revolved around commitment and time sacrifice.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected questions I incurred had to do with why I picked my undergraduate university and if I had applied to any other universities. I suppose some elitism was behind those questions as I had graduated from a state school but scored very high in academic and student involvement.   Answer Question

Project Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Latham & Watkins.

Got an email about a week after I submitted my application online to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview wasn't really a real "interview" but just answered about two questions about my background. Then I went in for an in-person interview. No trick questions, just typical questions that you would expect from an interview. I interviewed with two HR managers. Very friendly and nice.

Interview Questions
    • If you had three projects with the same deadlines, how would you prioritize your work?   Answer Question

Litigation Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Latham & Watkins.

I interviewed with about 5 different senior paralegals on the same day & had an excellent, relaxed & informative conversation with each of them. They showed me around the office & informed me of what exactly a Paralegal does as I had zero experience at the time. New hires in my position begin as Project Assistants, which is essentially an entry-level Paralegal/Legal Assistant. Aside from discussing work-related issues they each made an effort to talk with me about my personal interests & past travels, which made the entire process less stressful. Ultimately, I was happy & optimistic when I left the interviews & actually got a call the very next day to ask when I could start working there. I really loved the people & enjoyed my time there immensely despite the sometimes hectic & very long hours.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly, I don't recall any questions that were too technical or difficult to answer. The only one that I got self-conscious about was when I was asked if I planned on going to law school anytime in the new future because I worried saying yes might ruin my chances of getting hired.   View Answer
    I started with a base salary of about $38,000 & was generously compensated for all the over-time & weekends spent in the office. I also received an end of the year bonus based on peer reviews & hours billed to clients.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Latham & Watkins.

Behavioral-type questions about past experiences and work habits.

Interview Questions
    • Questions where you give examples of a mistake and how you solved it, etc.   Answer Question
    No negotiation phase

Project Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Latham & Watkins.

One interview in office. Very straightforward, just questions from my resume.

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Latham & Watkins.

Submitted resume through law school for on-campus screening interview, which was accepted. The interview was one-on-one for a little more than half an hour. Shortly afterwards, was invited to firm for follow-up interviews, which was with six different associates and partners for half an hour, plus an hour-long lunch with two more attorneys. They tried to match interviewers with interests and desired practice areas. Offers were extended by phone within a few weeks after the callback interviews.

Interview Questions
    • The interview lunch, though that doesn't exactly count as an interview "question." It's more of a situation test to see how well you can handle the kind of social situation that is the bread and butter of business development and client interaction.   Answer Question

Practice Support Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Latham & Watkins in October 2011.

Interview process was excellent, they accommodated my location, times and overall availability and were extremely helpful throughout the entire process. Both HR and the hiring managers were friendly and asked excellent questions.

Interview Questions
    • I can't remember specifically what the most difficult was, but they asked some very intelligent questions.   Answer Question
    Very easy, the HR pfoessional I dealt with was wonderful.

Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Latham & Watkins in October 2011.

There were two interviews in total. The first interview was a group interview with the people I would be working with directly. It took place in a conference room and lasted about an hour. The second interview took most of the day. I met with the same people that interviewed me the first time, plus a few other attorney's who I would work with indirectly.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were specific to the job I would perform. No abstract questions like "tell me about a time when you were challenged by...". It was very straightforward.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Latham & Watkins in January 2010.

The job was obtained through a recruiting firm. There was an initial meeting with a partner, followed by meetings with a couple more partners and a few associates. The meetings were held at the firm's office. Second round had a greater focus on fit and personality. Offer came within a couple of weeks.

Attorney, 4th-Year Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Latham & Watkins in September 2008.

Hiring is largely driven by the second-year summer associate program; I assume it is much more difficult and market-driven to get hired as a third year law school student.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions; most difficult part was demonstrating fit.   Answer Question
    There are no negotiations.