Latham & Watkins Interview Questions

Updated Jun 6, 2015

2.7

Business Services Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Latham & Watkins (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Phone Interview followed by a 3 hour recruitment event. First hour was getting to know the company, second hour was a group exercise, last hour was speed networking with members of the firm.

Business Service Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Latham & Watkins (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied on their webpage, got an email about 2 weeks later asking for a phone screening. The process took about 3+ weeks. I had a short phone interview with a very helpful HR lady and then they brought me in for an orientation/interview type conference which was unique and pretty fun--about 30 recent grads do some exercises and "speed interviewing". The next day I was invited back for another interview (this was a more formal one) which I thought went really well though after one more week I was not offered a position unfortuantely though I had a great experience.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral based interviews that you would expect, some fun ones like what type of music do you like or tell me about your personal hero   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Latham & Watkins (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

two screening interviews on the phone followed by a one and a half hour in person interview with three attorneys. It took them over 3 weeks to get back to me after the in person.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage time, what is your background in this area   Answer Question

Business Development Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Latham & Watkins (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied for the position online through Indeed in January and received an email request for a phone interview a couple weeks later. The phone interview was about 20 minutes and was a positive experience; the HR rep I talked with was friendly although I actually wasn't asked many questions. She asked why I was interested in the position and the company and the rest of the interview was more relaxed & conversational. Luckily, I had questions prepared because there were a few silent moments where it felt like she was waiting for me to keep speaking. At the end, I was invited to the office for a group interview. A week and a half later, I flew to their DC office for the group interview. It lasted about 3 hours - as applicants entered the building there was a "social hour" where last year's Trainee's introduced themselves and we talked with other applicants. When the session began, the first hour was a very detailed presentation of the firm, departments, managers, and roles of Trainees. The second hour was an activity where applicants were divided in teams of about 7 people. This included completing an assignment and presenting (not bad at all, but a LOT of time on your feet & talking). The last hour was a cocktail hour where two applicants were teamed up to rotate tables every 10 minutes - each table had 2 managers with questions prepared. It was not as intimidating as it sounds. Everyone was VERY friendly and easy to talk to. I was actually enjoying it! There were fun questions (favorite movie/book/travel location/etc.) and personal ones to get to know us. I felt really great about it when I left and received an invite the following day for the final round. The third round was a one-on-one interview, followed by two-on-one, followed by a coffee trip with 2 of last year's trainees and a manager. Once again, everyone was very friendly, however I felt more nervous during this process and was mentally exhausted by the end. Unfortunately, I did not receive an offer but this interview process was a huge learning experience. i am very appreciative of how easy going employees were that I spoke with and would have enjoyed working with them as a Trainee.

Interview Questions

• How have you exhibited Courage? How would your Mother describe you? If a newspaper article was written about you, what would be the headline?   Answer Question

Project Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Latham & Watkins.

Interview

Got an email about a week after I submitted my application online to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview wasn't really a real "interview" but just answered about two questions about my background. Then I went in for an in-person interview. No trick questions, just typical questions that you would expect from an interview. I interviewed with two HR managers. Very friendly and nice.

Interview Questions

• If you had three projects with the same deadlines, how would you prioritize your work?   Answer Question

Litigation Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Latham & Watkins (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I interviewed with about 5 different senior paralegals on the same day & had an excellent, relaxed & informative conversation with each of them. They showed me around the office & informed me of what exactly a Paralegal does as I had zero experience at the time. New hires in my position begin as Project Assistants, which is essentially an entry-level Paralegal/Legal Assistant. Aside from discussing work-related issues they each made an effort to talk with me about my personal interests & past travels, which made the entire process less stressful. Ultimately, I was happy & optimistic when I left the interviews & actually got a call the very next day to ask when I could start working there. I really loved the people & enjoyed my time there immensely despite the sometimes hectic & very long hours.

Interview Questions

• Honestly, I don't recall any questions that were too technical or difficult to answer. The only one that I got self-conscious about was when I was asked if I planned on going to law school anytime in the new future because I worried saying yes might ruin my chances of getting hired.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I started with a base salary of about $38,000 & was generously compensated for all the over-time & weekends spent in the office. I also received an end of the year bonus based on peer reviews & hours billed to clients.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Latham & Watkins (New York, NY).

Interview

Behavioral-type questions about past experiences and work habits.

Interview Questions

• Questions where you give examples of a mistake and how you solved it, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation phase

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Latham & Watkins (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

Pretty simple OCI stuff. The interviewer was much more laid back than some of the folks from different firms, but I guess that's what might have caught me off-guard. I may have been a bit too casual with him since he seemed pretty laid back. In hind sight, I could've figured out a better way to remain professional while being laid back like he was at the same time.

Project Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Latham & Watkins.

Interview

One interview in office. Very straightforward, just questions from my resume.

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Latham & Watkins (New York, NY).

Interview

Submitted resume through law school for on-campus screening interview, which was accepted. The interview was one-on-one for a little more than half an hour. Shortly afterwards, was invited to firm for follow-up interviews, which was with six different associates and partners for half an hour, plus an hour-long lunch with two more attorneys. They tried to match interviewers with interests and desired practice areas. Offers were extended by phone within a few weeks after the callback interviews.

Interview Questions

• The interview lunch, though that doesn't exactly count as an interview "question." It's more of a situation test to see how well you can handle the kind of social situation that is the bread and butter of business development and client interaction.   Answer Question