Lattice Engines Interview Questions

Updated Apr 29, 2015

3.2

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lattice Engines.

Interview

The company contacted me shortly after I applied. There doesn't seem to be an HR department and a peer was handling the phone screening and interview scheduling. The job set up was vague and expectations were not set from the get-go (part time, temporary and the future of the role was unclear). Interview length and difficulty were complex considering the type of job. Company should be honest about the pay up front. The people are nice, but the company doesn't seem to know what it wants.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Lattice Engines.

Interview

Recruiter phone convo- brief
    Came in for an in person interview , with 4 different people. Great people and easy to talk to. You meet with two SDRs as well as the hiring managers. Great benefits and fun perks. Be prepared to exactly explain what lattice does and how they do it. It gets a little confusing.

Pre-Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lattice Engines (Boston, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

My interview process with Lattice Engines was an interesting one, covering multiple interviews with the recruiter as well as many interviews internally.

Speaking for the overall process it was very loosely organized, spanning over several departments and with different levels of employees. I interviewed with the Director of Pre-sales, two sales reps, two pre-sales engineers, the CMO, and the VP of sales.

I had mostly positive reviews with the different members of the team, however, I was not happy with being interviewed by people that have little experience interviewing. I felt that the interview questions by those particular individuals were not professional and were not related to the work I would have been doing. Also, there were a few times that we had to arrange last minute interviews because "now this person needs to know more about you."

Finally, after all these interviews and multiple trips to Boston, I was told that the direct hiring manager was starting the process to pen an offer letter pending one more interview in the company. After completing the interview I was told the same day that I didn't do as well in the final or the math questions and would not be extended an offer.

Overall, I felt the process was disjointed and disorganized and was not impressive. Also, overriding the direct hiring manager made me feel that it was probably better off not receiving a position.

Advice: Streamline your process, train your interviewers.

Interview Questions

• The asked me to work through Archimedes principle. Essentially asking me what would happen to the level of a lake if a weight was dropped in it.   Answer Question

Customer Success Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lattice Engines.

Interview

I had an initial 30-minute call with the hiring manager. Questions were standard for role and directly related to analytics space. A second interviewed was scheduled with a higher-ranking member of the team. This individual was somewhat unclear in his questions and lacked the insight on competitive advantage.

Director Solution Delivery Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Lattice Engines (Austin, TX) in May 2014.

Interview

Submitted application online for Austin office and VP of Consulting (Brandt Hurd) emailed me for phone interview, then invited me in for group interview. Note: The position pays between $120 - $170k (depending on experience).

I met with 4 of 5 scheduled interviewers, all gents, no women, and they were all over educated for what they were doing, which is blue collar implementation work. These overpaid guys were trying to figure out how to get the 'right data' from clients like Dell to increase sales leads. Sales Prism is the application and what I learned is that no methodology exists, the implementation teams are flying by the seat of their pants.

MOST (70-80%) of the work is proof of concept (POC). No real deals exist, they're having trouble moving away from POCs because they can't prove their value. In other words they can't prove what they promise, which is to increase sales. I work for Teradata (Big Data and Analytics on steroids) and we deal with actual data that exist, because we manage data in data warehouses. Lattice Engines is a PHD experiment gone wild with easy access to VC cash. Also, Lattice Engines is a niche player trying to figure out a noble problem, which is how to increase sales leads using predictive analytics. There are several organizations trying to figure out the same problem. However, they all have one problem, that is, where the data is located. The data is errant and could be stored within many client databases, siloed, or just isn't tracked.

From what I learned during my interview is that the 'directors' are all over paid implementation consultants disguised as data detectives, and their all trying to find the data to prove that Lattice software is worth $30k each month.

I think the business survives because Sequoia Capital believes in them and with Sequoia's business connections they just might figure the problem out.

Here is my analysis, this is a company that suffers from poor implementation practices. As soon as they figure out a repeatable methodology for how to capture the right data, then they will be successful. Until then they will look for more backing/funding.

Note: I did not impress the VP after failing the Cartesian graph exercise, and I was shown the door.

Interview Questions

• The VP drew a Cartesian graph on the board and listed 4 data points for Dell. Networking gear, Servers, Laptops, and something else. Asked me to address how to increase sales for these four data points.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lattice Engines (Chicago, IL) in April 2014.

Interview

A friend offered me to apply online, got called up the same day and scheduled a call. Didn't live in the US, so chose to do it when I was scheduled to be there so we could be in the same time zone.
    The guy was an engineering manager I think, and was nice.
    General CS Questions like how to invert a liked list in linear time. How would you implement a real time recommender in a single pass mode. Some design chat around building a fast engine to serve thousands oof models concurrently.

Interview Questions

• Design a prediction server to sustain thousands of requests and serve close to a thousand prediction models.   Answer Question
    • Had to design a Storage system optimized for scalability and consistent and fast reads.   Answer Question

Former Employee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lattice Engines (San Mateo, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

It lasted two plus hours, but that's a good sign, because that indicates the hiring manager is interested in moving forward with your application. The interview process was very professional and respectful towards the intervieee.

Interview Questions

• Tells us about your background and past work experience.   1 Answer

Negotiation

When can you start ?

Customer Solutions Manager/Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Lattice Engines (New York, NY).

Interview

There was a 30 minute initial phone interview with a senior manager in Boston. There were no tough questions, it felt very informal.

I made it to the second round of interviews at their office in NYC. I met with four of the employees. The first gave me an explanation of the company, I made sure to ask a lot of questions.

The next interview was with two programmers at one time. The questions were not tough, they really drilled into what I did wanting to know specifics, people, products, how I accomplished a task.

Finally, I interviewed with the senior person of the office and his interview was entirely a behavioral interview. I would study the STAR methodology, Situation, Task, Action, Result before going into their offices.

To end the interview I had to complete a project where you had to do a comparison and present the results to the team. Keep in mind compare the two sets, that is why they have 100 examples on both spreadsheets.

Interview Questions

• The project was not difficult, the instructions are vague and you must make assumptions to get to your results.   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Lattice Engines.

Interview

Standard interview process...

Started out with phone interview. Followed by a SQL exam to test technical capabilities. Then was invited to office for 4 rounds of interview. Most of the questions were based on resume and prior experience.

Analytics Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Lattice Engines (San Mateo, CA) in December 2012.

Interview

One initial database and ETL exam, one phone interview and 4 onsite interviews.

Interview Questions

• Mostly ETL questions with interviews mainly looking for client orientation and cultural match   Answer Question

Low initial offer with questionable growth opportunities