Laureate Education Interview Questions in Baltimore, MD

3.1

23 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

HRIS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Laureate Education in January 2010.

Long process- 4-6 months. People were nice, but disorganized. Twice showed up for interviews and no one knew I was coming. I had to show printed out email for them to find who was expecting me. Once the interview was cancelled because the interviewers were both out of the office.

Short and professional.

Marketing Department Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Laureate Education.

Two phone interviews with HR and than one on one for a day with 5 to 7 people. Easily an 8 hour face time with the interviewers. After going through this process and being called for an 8 hour day face to face which is the final interview round. The most shocking part of this process is - I never got a call or an email about my interview status. No rejection No acceptance - No message. So after 2 weeks I started contacting them - I was only directed to voice mails (where I left messages) and also emailed. To my bigger surprise I did not get any response yet. I think this is extremely rude and unprofessional to end the interview process with zero communication. I am sceptically about the future of this company.

Director of IT Compliance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Laureate Education in February 2014.

I applied for this position through a recruiter who worked hard to get me in the door and keep me up to date on what was going on. Kudos to him.

It took them forever to get the interviews set up. Part of the problem was the VP of IT Compliance needed to come up from Florida. Didn't help that on the day of my initial interview, the region got socked by a major snowstorm. Maybe that was a sign.

Once the date was finally set a week later, I met with the hiring manager and the guy I would be replacing who had been promoted to a corporate level job. Hiring manager was very personable, friendly and we had a good conversation. Odd part of the conversation was that none of what we discussed was on the job description. I asked my questions, gave my point of view on how to accomplish what he was probing for and thought it went pretty well. The guy I would be replacing, on the other hand, didn't say much and gave off a vibe like I had killed his dog. I tried engaging him in the conversation but with little success.

Then met with the VP of IT Compliance. Very nice woman. Thought we hit it off pretty well. She provided info on her corporate level group and how they were structured, where I would fit in and the role I would play. It was all fairly high level as she was representing corporate and this position was in one of the business line areas. Some of her information was contradictory to the hiring manager, especially about hiring a CISO. I asked for some clarification but didn't really get it.

On leaving, was told I would hear by Friday (this was a Wednesday). Friday came and went with not a word. I called my recruiter the following Monday and he was told that things went really well, they liked what I had to say and that I was the frontrunner for the position. The next steps would be to come in, meet with the Division Head and the CFO. Laureate was putting that meeting together and I would hear within a few days. I asked why they hadn't asked me about my experience as related to the job description. Apparently, they figured I had enough experience for that. They were more interested in my other skills.

Ten days later after complete radio silence, my recruiter calls back telling me that I was no longer in the running. While the Hiring Manager thought I was great and would make a good fit, the VP decided I wasn't "strategic" enough, despite not being asked one strategic question. I was then informed that Laureate decided to go with someone internal rather than bringing in someone new.

Interestingly enough, I spoke to two other recruiters a few days later who, when they learned I'd applied there, told me that they were seeing more people leave Laureate than apply and that most of the comments coming from these folks was negative. Maybe I dodged a bullet.

Interview Questions
    • We're looking to centralize our security management. How would you go about doing that?   Answer Question

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Laureate Education.

I was contacted by an internal recruiter regarding an available position. I had an initial phone screen with her and was brought in for an in person interview with the members of the team, team supervisor as well as manager. I was then brought in again to meet another team who had an opening as well.
    After which i was asked to complete forms for a background check and reference check with 5 people. After this was completed i was informed that i didn't get the job.The process lasted from September to January the following year and was a complete waste of time.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was mostly related to past roles and experiences   Answer Question

Editor/Proofreader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Laureate Education in January 2011.

This was the oddest and most poorly conducted phone interview I have ever had. There were actually two potential positions that were available, one requiring more experience (which I had; I met all the criteria and exceeded the years of experience) and offering better pay. I first had a standard screening phone interview with stock questions from an HR rep.

I then had a second phone interview with the person who would temporarily supervise me while the regular person (who I’ll call Jane) was on maternity leave. This second person talked superfast and barely let me get a word in edgewise. She gave me the impression of someone very impressed with herself, her position, and the company.

The interviewer had not read my resume closely. I had worked in an office environment for 20 years and had been freelancing for 6 weeks after company-wide layoffs. The interviewer voiced her concerns about my readjusting to corporate life and a fixed schedule after so much flexibility. Er, the flexibility experienced for 6 weeks as opposed to the office environment experienced for over 1,000 weeks?

But what was so odd was that she primarily talked about Jane! She essentially sang Jane’s praises, breathlessly rattling off Jane’s excellent organizational skills and other fine qualities. At one point, I had an out-of-body experience, asking myself, shouldn’t this interview be about…me…and what I could bring to your organization? Not someone who’s, well, already employed there…and temporarily not present?

Needless to say, I was turned off, and this was compounded when I learned that HR would not consider me for the higher position, for which I was more than qualified.

Interview Questions
    • The previous person in this position could handle the proofreading and editing but floundered when it came to dealing with multiple people from various departments throughout the day. How do you cope with stress and how would you describe your interpersonal skills?   Answer Question

Senior Manager, Org Development and Talent Solutions Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Laureate Education in March 2013.

I was very impressed by how well the interview process was planned and executed at Laureate. Prior to the onsite interview, I had 4 phone interviews with 2 Vice Presidents of HR and my future peers. During my onsite interview at Baltimore HQ, I met with the SVP of HR and several other VPs from other HR functions. All interviews are an hour long. The interviewees take time to introduce and explain Laureate's business model and its missions and values, and I am impressed by the consistency in their message. In the end, they did sell Laureate to me successfully. I was also asked to do several assessment from SHL and KornFerry. SHL assessment is especially challenging because it consists of 20 questions to be answered in a short time (I forgot how long but I couldn't finish).

Interview Questions
    • What project did you manage that has the biggest impact to the organization? Explain what and how did you do and what was the impact.   Answer Question
    Hiring manager sent offer via email and we negotiated over the phone. The revised offer was then submitted to HR for 2nd approval and I received it via email.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Laureate Education in October 2011.

I applied for 2 Director level positions. They set up an interview for 1 of the positions and asked me to arrange air transportation to be reimbursed later. I met with the person that would be my supervisor, who was extremely likeable. Then, had a team interview, which seemed to go well. The person that would have been my supervisor met with me again and said there was another Director level position that I would be GREAT for. I said I had applied for it and figured I didn't make the cut or would have had interviewed for both while in town. (Turned out, they did want to interview me but didn't get that organized in time.) I submitted my travel expenses it was air fare only and waited several weeks without a word or check in response. (Figured if hired, I wouldn't worry about the relatively low fare.) Finally, I decided I didn't get hired and made several calls but did get reimbursed. It wasn't pleasant. I was never notified whether I got the job I interviewed for; just didn't hear anything. Then, about 3 months later, I got a call from HR asking to set up an interview for the same position I had applied but hadn't been interviewed for. Weird. I declined. Clearly, after reading the employee reviews here, I made the right choice. Now I manage a global eLearning function for the biggest company in its industry. To Laureate Management: Looks like you've earned a really bad reputation.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember specific questions but they did indicate projects I'd control had very poor track records and I'd have to give every waking moment to patch things up.   Answer Question

Senior Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Laureate Education.

They flew me in from out of state and I met with the Accounting Manager I would be reporting to, the Controller of my group, and the HR recruiter I had been working with.

Each interview was very informal with the Controller basically selling me on the Company and his vision for his group.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't asked any difficult questions in my interview. I was interviewed during a period of growth and I guess they thought my resume spoke for itself. I was asked some questions about excel and my accounting knowledge, but mostly they assumed I would be able to learn the industry and company as I worked.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate the start date.
    They did pay for relocation from a different state.

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Laureate Education in April 2008.

You get to meet different managers, and they will tell you honestly what you are expected to know

Really smooth, I accepted and it all went well.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Laureate Education in February 2011.

Interviewing process is very elaborate. You are interviewed initially by HR but then the hiring manager and the entire chain of reports. Time consuming process and ran over.

Interview Questions
    • What can you tell me about what our expectations of you in this position are?   Answer Question

Worked for Laureate Education? Contribute to the Community!