Laureate Education Interview Questions in Baltimore, MD

Updated Apr 18, 2015

3.1

Accounting Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Laureate Education (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

They called (or recruiter called) my references before granted in-person interview (after passing interview), went to their offices (1 hour away, took a day off from work) and it became clear that the job had been cut due to budget constraints, though this was not told to me. I met with 4 people, the first was the HR person who had to be tracked down at home because they forgot about the appointment - we had a phone interview from the office conference room. The person that would supervise this position also only had only 20 minutes to spend with me and I had to take a one hour break to wait for him (told to go get my own lunch).
    Later heard from recruiter that they really liked me but I was correct in my assessment that the job was cut. Just annoyed at their lack of respect for the process. Surely they could have cancelled in advance and not wasted my time.

Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Laureate Education (Baltimore, MD) in June 2014.

Interview

It was a four-hour interview with several different people, many of whom were not people I'd be working with. A lot of them asked the same questions. One thing that was uncomfortable was that another person was interviewing for the same job at the same time.

Interview Questions

• How would you ask a freelance writer to rewrite a sub-par piece?   1 Answer

Marketing Department Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Laureate Education (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

Two phone interviews with HR and than one on one for a day with 5 to 7 people. Easily an 8 hour face time with the interviewers. After going through this process and being called for an 8 hour day face to face which is the final interview round. The most shocking part of this process is - I never got a call or an email about my interview status. No rejection No acceptance - No message. So after 2 weeks I started contacting them - I was only directed to voice mails (where I left messages) and also emailed. To my bigger surprise I did not get any response yet. I think this is extremely rude and unprofessional to end the interview process with zero communication. I am sceptically about the future of this company.

Director of IT Compliance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Laureate Education (Baltimore, MD) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied for this position through a recruiter who worked hard to get me in the door and keep me up to date on what was going on. Kudos to him.

It took them forever to get the interviews set up. Part of the problem was the VP of IT Compliance needed to come up from Florida. Didn't help that on the day of my initial interview, the region got socked by a major snowstorm. Maybe that was a sign.

Once the date was finally set a week later, I met with the hiring manager and the guy I would be replacing who had been promoted to a corporate level job. Hiring manager was very personable, friendly and we had a good conversation. Odd part of the conversation was that none of what we discussed was on the job description. I asked my questions, gave my point of view on how to accomplish what he was probing for and thought it went pretty well. The guy I would be replacing, on the other hand, didn't say much and gave off a vibe like I had killed his dog. I tried engaging him in the conversation but with little success.

Then met with the VP of IT Compliance. Very nice woman. Thought we hit it off pretty well. She provided info on her corporate level group and how they were structured, where I would fit in and the role I would play. It was all fairly high level as she was representing corporate and this position was in one of the business line areas. Some of her information was contradictory to the hiring manager, especially about hiring a CISO. I asked for some clarification but didn't really get it.

On leaving, was told I would hear by Friday (this was a Wednesday). Friday came and went with not a word. I called my recruiter the following Monday and he was told that things went really well, they liked what I had to say and that I was the frontrunner for the position. The next steps would be to come in, meet with the Division Head and the CFO. Laureate was putting that meeting together and I would hear within a few days. I asked why they hadn't asked me about my experience as related to the job description. Apparently, they figured I had enough experience for that. They were more interested in my other skills.

Ten days later after complete radio silence, my recruiter calls back telling me that I was no longer in the running. While the Hiring Manager thought I was great and would make a good fit, the VP decided I wasn't "strategic" enough, despite not being asked one strategic question. I was then informed that Laureate decided to go with someone internal rather than bringing in someone new.

Interestingly enough, I spoke to two other recruiters a few days later who, when they learned I'd applied there, told me that they were seeing more people leave Laureate than apply and that most of the comments coming from these folks was negative. Maybe I dodged a bullet.

Interview Questions

• We're looking to centralize our security management. How would you go about doing that?   Answer Question

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Laureate Education (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

I was contacted by an internal recruiter regarding an available position. I had an initial phone screen with her and was brought in for an in person interview with the members of the team, team supervisor as well as manager. I was then brought in again to meet another team who had an opening as well.
    After which i was asked to complete forms for a background check and reference check with 5 people. After this was completed i was informed that i didn't get the job.The process lasted from September to January the following year and was a complete waste of time.

Interview Questions

• The interview was mostly related to past roles and experiences   Answer Question

Senior Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Laureate Education (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

They flew me in from out of state and I met with the Accounting Manager I would be reporting to, the Controller of my group, and the HR recruiter I had been working with.

Each interview was very informal with the Controller basically selling me on the Company and his vision for his group.

Interview Questions

• I wasn't asked any difficult questions in my interview. I was interviewed during a period of growth and I guess they thought my resume spoke for itself. I was asked some questions about excel and my accounting knowledge, but mostly they assumed I would be able to learn the industry and company as I worked.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate the start date.
    They did pay for relocation from a different state.

Senior Manager, Org Development and Talent Solutions Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Laureate Education (Baltimore, MD) in March 2013.

Interview

I was very impressed by how well the interview process was planned and executed at Laureate. Prior to the onsite interview, I had 4 phone interviews with 2 Vice Presidents of HR and my future peers. During my onsite interview at Baltimore HQ, I met with the SVP of HR and several other VPs from other HR functions. All interviews are an hour long. The interviewees take time to introduce and explain Laureate's business model and its missions and values, and I am impressed by the consistency in their message. In the end, they did sell Laureate to me successfully. I was also asked to do several assessment from SHL and KornFerry. SHL assessment is especially challenging because it consists of 20 questions to be answered in a short time (I forgot how long but I couldn't finish).

Interview Questions

• What project did you manage that has the biggest impact to the organization? Explain what and how did you do and what was the impact.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Hiring manager sent offer via email and we negotiated over the phone. The revised offer was then submitted to HR for 2nd approval and I received it via email.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Laureate Education (Baltimore, MD) in March 2012.

Interview

The recruiter was fantastic - she really helped me understand the comany and the role. She asked some very specific technical questions - thats impressive for an HR person! The in person interviews were good - everyone was professional and ablet o answer all my questions. I was informed I should hear this week on next steps. Even if I don't get this role I will continue to apply as it seems like an awesome company to work for.

Interview Questions

• Techincal depth questions on Java   1 Answer

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Laureate Education (Baltimore, MD) in March 2012.

Interview

I was headhunted by the in-house recruiter. She was very good at selling the company and the opportunity. She asked me some tough behavorial questions - she knew her stuff that's for sure! I must have answered them well - as I got a call back the next day to come in to interview in person with 5 other ppl. It was a good cross section of other HR colleagues as well as my business clients. Everyone was very nice and professional yet they were willing to educate me on the company and the vision for growth. I was so happy when the recruiter called to offer me the role (even though they negotiated hard!). I am glad I accepted the position in HR.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to push back on a client.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The recruiter informed me that they like to come to the table with the best offer possible - they don't 'low ball'. Due to my research the salary they offered was very fair. And I get an annual bonus now too!

Enrollment Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Laureate Education (Baltimore, MD) in January 2012.

Interview

First, there was a fifteen minute phone interview. General questions were asked as well as a couple questions about my experience. Next, the in person interview lasted a total of an hour to hour and 15 min. The HR representative first talked with me about the company and benefits of the position. Then, I was taken to another room and was interviewed by two enrollment managers. The interview was difficult. The managers asked behavioral and situational questions that made me reflect on experience and education. Overall, they were nice but stern in their questions.

Interview Questions

• What technical experience do you have?   Answer Question
    • Can you explain a time when you used ethics in your experience?   Answer Question
    • Explain a time you thought you were right but were wrong. How did you react and feel when you realized you were wrong?   Answer Question