Laureate Education Interview Questions

Updated Jul 29, 2014
Updated Jul 29, 2014

Encoder Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Laureate Education in January 2011.

Very laid-back, business professional. Semi-conservative environment, a little more relaxed than government job. The senior officials are accesible. They are also upfront about what position involves. You are allowed to directly observe workplace culture and possibly sit-in on a meeting-depending on the day. You are introduced around different departments, and it is easy to ask questions if you are willing to take the initiative.

Interview Questions
    • Could you do a job that you have never had experience in? How?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Laureate Education in September 2012.

Conducted two telecom interviews - one with the Local HR Manager, a second with the VP of HR Latin America. After this was invited to fly to Miami to do an on-site interview where I spoke with the VP of HR again, as well as the VP of Finance, and the Director of Finance. Established a strong first impression and received a formal written offer two weeks later. Started working in Miami roughly ~2 weeks after accepting the offer.

Interview Questions
    • What makes Laureate Education an attractive destination to begin your professional career?   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate an additional $7,500 for relocation expenses. I accepted the position and initial bonus offer as it was presented.

HRIS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Laureate Education in January 2010.

Long process- 4-6 months. People were nice, but disorganized. Twice showed up for interviews and no one knew I was coming. I had to show printed out email for them to find who was expecting me. Once the interview was cancelled because the interviewers were both out of the office.

Short and professional.

Marketing Department Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Laureate Education.

Two phone interviews with HR and than one on one for a day with 5 to 7 people. Easily an 8 hour face time with the interviewers. After going through this process and being called for an 8 hour day face to face which is the final interview round. The most shocking part of this process is - I never got a call or an email about my interview status. No rejection No acceptance - No message. So after 2 weeks I started contacting them - I was only directed to voice mails (where I left messages) and also emailed. To my bigger surprise I did not get any response yet. I think this is extremely rude and unprofessional to end the interview process with zero communication. I am sceptically about the future of this company.

Director of IT Compliance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Laureate Education in February 2014.

I applied for this position through a recruiter who worked hard to get me in the door and keep me up to date on what was going on. Kudos to him.

It took them forever to get the interviews set up. Part of the problem was the VP of IT Compliance needed to come up from Florida. Didn't help that on the day of my initial interview, the region got socked by a major snowstorm. Maybe that was a sign.

Once the date was finally set a week later, I met with the hiring manager and the guy I would be replacing who had been promoted to a corporate level job. Hiring manager was very personable, friendly and we had a good conversation. Odd part of the conversation was that none of what we discussed was on the job description. I asked my questions, gave my point of view on how to accomplish what he was probing for and thought it went pretty well. The guy I would be replacing, on the other hand, didn't say much and gave off a vibe like I had killed his dog. I tried engaging him in the conversation but with little success.

Then met with the VP of IT Compliance. Very nice woman. Thought we hit it off pretty well. She provided info on her corporate level group and how they were structured, where I would fit in and the role I would play. It was all fairly high level as she was representing corporate and this position was in one of the business line areas. Some of her information was contradictory to the hiring manager, especially about hiring a CISO. I asked for some clarification but didn't really get it.

On leaving, was told I would hear by Friday (this was a Wednesday). Friday came and went with not a word. I called my recruiter the following Monday and he was told that things went really well, they liked what I had to say and that I was the frontrunner for the position. The next steps would be to come in, meet with the Division Head and the CFO. Laureate was putting that meeting together and I would hear within a few days. I asked why they hadn't asked me about my experience as related to the job description. Apparently, they figured I had enough experience for that. They were more interested in my other skills.

Ten days later after complete radio silence, my recruiter calls back telling me that I was no longer in the running. While the Hiring Manager thought I was great and would make a good fit, the VP decided I wasn't "strategic" enough, despite not being asked one strategic question. I was then informed that Laureate decided to go with someone internal rather than bringing in someone new.

Interestingly enough, I spoke to two other recruiters a few days later who, when they learned I'd applied there, told me that they were seeing more people leave Laureate than apply and that most of the comments coming from these folks was negative. Maybe I dodged a bullet.

Interview Questions
    • We're looking to centralize our security management. How would you go about doing that?   Answer Question

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Laureate Education.

I was contacted by an internal recruiter regarding an available position. I had an initial phone screen with her and was brought in for an in person interview with the members of the team, team supervisor as well as manager. I was then brought in again to meet another team who had an opening as well.
    After which i was asked to complete forms for a background check and reference check with 5 people. After this was completed i was informed that i didn't get the job.The process lasted from September to January the following year and was a complete waste of time.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was mostly related to past roles and experiences   Answer Question

Enrollment Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Laureate Education in July 2013.

I spoke with a recruiter after applying for a supervisor position. The conversation was friendly and pretty straight-forward. In addition to the position I applied for, the recruiter said she thought I was qualified for the an enrollment manager position as well. She said she was going to give my resume to the hiring managers and would be in contact with me. I never heard from Laureate again, despite a few voicemails. As many reviews here mention, their hiring process is unprofessional. There was no follow-up and I am unsure what happened after my initial conversation.

Editor/Proofreader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Laureate Education in January 2011.

This was the oddest and most poorly conducted phone interview I have ever had. There were actually two potential positions that were available, one requiring more experience (which I had; I met all the criteria and exceeded the years of experience) and offering better pay. I first had a standard screening phone interview with stock questions from an HR rep.

I then had a second phone interview with the person who would temporarily supervise me while the regular person (who I’ll call Jane) was on maternity leave. This second person talked superfast and barely let me get a word in edgewise. She gave me the impression of someone very impressed with herself, her position, and the company.

The interviewer had not read my resume closely. I had worked in an office environment for 20 years and had been freelancing for 6 weeks after company-wide layoffs. The interviewer voiced her concerns about my readjusting to corporate life and a fixed schedule after so much flexibility. Er, the flexibility experienced for 6 weeks as opposed to the office environment experienced for over 1,000 weeks?

But what was so odd was that she primarily talked about Jane! She essentially sang Jane’s praises, breathlessly rattling off Jane’s excellent organizational skills and other fine qualities. At one point, I had an out-of-body experience, asking myself, shouldn’t this interview be about…me…and what I could bring to your organization? Not someone who’s, well, already employed there…and temporarily not present?

Needless to say, I was turned off, and this was compounded when I learned that HR would not consider me for the higher position, for which I was more than qualified.

Interview Questions
    • The previous person in this position could handle the proofreading and editing but floundered when it came to dealing with multiple people from various departments throughout the day. How do you cope with stress and how would you describe your interpersonal skills?   Answer Question

Student Services Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Laureate Education in August 2009.

I applied online through Career Builder. Was called and had phone interview with Director. Then was asked to come in for a group interview. Final interview was with Hiring Manager. I was asked standard interview questions related to working well with others etc. I believe we also began asking more questions related to math and technical skills in the following years.

Interview Questions
    • Phone Interview Question: Would you say that you are a messy person or neat.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate because it was my first job and I was inexperienced. Ask for more! The hiring manager usually has more room in the budget than the first offer.

Senior Manager, Org Development and Talent Solutions Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Laureate Education in March 2013.

I was very impressed by how well the interview process was planned and executed at Laureate. Prior to the onsite interview, I had 4 phone interviews with 2 Vice Presidents of HR and my future peers. During my onsite interview at Baltimore HQ, I met with the SVP of HR and several other VPs from other HR functions. All interviews are an hour long. The interviewees take time to introduce and explain Laureate's business model and its missions and values, and I am impressed by the consistency in their message. In the end, they did sell Laureate to me successfully. I was also asked to do several assessment from SHL and KornFerry. SHL assessment is especially challenging because it consists of 20 questions to be answered in a short time (I forgot how long but I couldn't finish).

Interview Questions
    • What project did you manage that has the biggest impact to the organization? Explain what and how did you do and what was the impact.   Answer Question
    Hiring manager sent offer via email and we negotiated over the phone. The revised offer was then submitted to HR for 2nd approval and I received it via email.

Worked for Laureate Education? Contribute to the Community!