Lawrence Berkeley Lab

Updated Dec 4, 2014

2.6

Administrative Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab.

Usually, a phone interview and 1 or 2 group interviews. My experience, because I had over 10 years admin experience, was just 2 group interviews, the first with the admin group (my future supervisor, another admin supervisor and an admin employee) and the second interview, was with the group head I was supporting, plus 2 of the group members.
    I interviewed in Berkeley, CA

Interview Questions
    • It helps to have worked in the military, or have some sort of technical background - where you have worked in a hospital or government office.   Answer Question
    I got a phone call notifying me of their offer, and then received the offer letter with salary in the mail, for my signature.

Intern Interview

I applied online through the Department of Energy website, and selected LBNL as my first choice. The application requires letters of recommendations, transcripts, and essays. This was a pretty standard application for research internships. A few weeks after I applied, I was contacted by a research scientist. They said that they were considering my application, but they wanted to have a phone interview before offering me a position. I did a phone interview with that scientist, and they asked me questions about my personality and work style, and questions about my experience (which really was just the classes I had taken up to that point). After that, I received a formal offer via email, which I accepted.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. The stipend is set for interns.

Student Assistant Interview

I knew one of the scientists in the lab who helped me get the job, so my hiring is probably not indicative of the normal process. After getting hired, you need to do a lot of training that can take almost an entire week--a little tedious but not too bad.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions are just to get to know you--behavioral. No technical questions.   Answer Question

Computational Scientist Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Connected to the boss via mail and started the usual procedure: application through website, cv, interview and then hired. The first interview was on skype and it was about 15 minutes. After that they were already convinced and we did not go into other details.

I was not able to negotiate

Staff Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab.

Vero long and elaborate application process: required 5(!) reference letters, one phone screening, then you make it to the big dance. The F2F interview was a full day event. Had to give a seminar in front of a committee, followed by one hour of questioning by them. The questions were pre-planned, with members taking turn asking them to you. Very rigid format. Then I had to come back twice to talk with two deputy division directors to make sure they are ok. By the I knew I was the anointed one, so I was just making sure I don't screw it up.

Interview Questions
    • I don't think these questions were difficult for anyone who had been through many interviews before. They are typical: how do you deal with a difficult colleague, etc. you just need to put yourself in their shoes and say what they want to hear.   Answer Question
    Very tortuous. The HR person is a pro. She basically draw a red line for salary, so I just steered myself to just under the number. That was all unofficial. Then after that, it took them another month to prepare the official offer letter. Everything takes a long time. Be patient.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab in February 2014.

My interview was unconventional. I had a telephone interview where they asked only HR-type questions, "weakest quality", "what would you do if you saw a co-worker violate safety", that sort of thing. When I arrived to the in-person, still no technical questions, just a few more HR questions. They asked me to prepare a 5-10 minute presentation of my work, and although the media was set up, they never asked to see it during the course of the interview. It seemed they were just going through the motions to satisfy HR. They do a background check, but I'm not sure who conducts it, I think it was the hiring manager, so you need professional references who have time to answer 10--15 standardized HR questions. There are general training and safety "courses" to take online before you can start work or receive a badge, after hire there are more online safety courses to take within the first 10-30 days of employment. The first day at work is at least 50% hiring intensive. There's an orientation where they make sure you've filled out all mandatory pre-employment paperwork. There's an orientation, then a long picture/badge ordeal. The orientation class started at 9am, and didn't get to my office until after 1pm.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult or unexpected questions. These were very standardized, scenario based, questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, I told them what I was looking for and they paid it. They actually have a pay structure for positions buried in their online HR services, but it's wide and entirely at the discretion of your direct supervisor.

Student Research Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab.

Found listing at UC Berkeley website and submitted an application to the position itself. The interview was fairly straightforward - asking about things on my resume and talking about the position itself. The researcher asked me what I knew about the field and described some of the problems that they were working on.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question was about the field of research itself and what I knew about it.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab in January 2014.

Phone interview with an alumni:
    After talking about my resume, the interviewer asked something about Java, including overridden and overload methods, garbage collection, ways to find the line where there's a memory link, two ways to tell user there's an exception(throw and try/catch).

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab.

Interview process was very smooth and fast. It was onsite 1:1 discussion style interview. Overall people who work in the lab are very intellectual and yet down to earth.

Interview Questions
    • My Principal Investigator asked me about my experiences with different chemical analytical equipments.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab in November 2013.

Skype Meeting with a couple of senior engeneer asking me some thecnical questions and my background.