Lawrence Berkeley Lab Interview Questions

Updated Jun 26, 2014
Updated Jun 26, 2014

2.6

Computational Scientist Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Connected to the boss via mail and started the usual procedure: application through website, cv, interview and then hired. The first interview was on skype and it was about 15 minutes. After that they were already convinced and we did not go into other details.

I was not able to negotiate

Staff Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab.

Vero long and elaborate application process: required 5(!) reference letters, one phone screening, then you make it to the big dance. The F2F interview was a full day event. Had to give a seminar in front of a committee, followed by one hour of questioning by them. The questions were pre-planned, with members taking turn asking them to you. Very rigid format. Then I had to come back twice to talk with two deputy division directors to make sure they are ok. By the I knew I was the anointed one, so I was just making sure I don't screw it up.

Interview Questions
    • I don't think these questions were difficult for anyone who had been through many interviews before. They are typical: how do you deal with a difficult colleague, etc. you just need to put yourself in their shoes and say what they want to hear.   Answer Question
    Very tortuous. The HR person is a pro. She basically draw a red line for salary, so I just steered myself to just under the number. That was all unofficial. Then after that, it took them another month to prepare the official offer letter. Everything takes a long time. Be patient.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab in February 2014.

My interview was unconventional. I had a telephone interview where they asked only HR-type questions, "weakest quality", "what would you do if you saw a co-worker violate safety", that sort of thing. When I arrived to the in-person, still no technical questions, just a few more HR questions. They asked me to prepare a 5-10 minute presentation of my work, and although the media was set up, they never asked to see it during the course of the interview. It seemed they were just going through the motions to satisfy HR. They do a background check, but I'm not sure who conducts it, I think it was the hiring manager, so you need professional references who have time to answer 10--15 standardized HR questions. There are general training and safety "courses" to take online before you can start work or receive a badge, after hire there are more online safety courses to take within the first 10-30 days of employment. The first day at work is at least 50% hiring intensive. There's an orientation where they make sure you've filled out all mandatory pre-employment paperwork. There's an orientation, then a long picture/badge ordeal. The orientation class started at 9am, and didn't get to my office until after 1pm.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult or unexpected questions. These were very standardized, scenario based, questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, I told them what I was looking for and they paid it. They actually have a pay structure for positions buried in their online HR services, but it's wide and entirely at the discretion of your direct supervisor.

Student Research Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab.

Found listing at UC Berkeley website and submitted an application to the position itself. The interview was fairly straightforward - asking about things on my resume and talking about the position itself. The researcher asked me what I knew about the field and described some of the problems that they were working on.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question was about the field of research itself and what I knew about it.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab in January 2014.

Phone interview with an alumni:
    After talking about my resume, the interviewer asked something about Java, including overridden and overload methods, garbage collection, ways to find the line where there's a memory link, two ways to tell user there's an exception(throw and try/catch).

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab.

Interview process was very smooth and fast. It was onsite 1:1 discussion style interview. Overall people who work in the lab are very intellectual and yet down to earth.

Interview Questions
    • My Principal Investigator asked me about my experiences with different chemical analytical equipments.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab in November 2013.

Skype Meeting with a couple of senior engeneer asking me some thecnical questions and my background.

Graduate Student Research Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab.

A telephone interview asking me to give a presentation based on my previous projects.

Computer Systems Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab.

This took a long time. Almost 6 months from initial contact to employment offer. There was one telephone interview, and one onsite interview. The onsite interview was a group interview with four people and myself. As a consequence, I was over quickly and was not a grueling all-day series of conferences. There were frustrating long periods of silence between contacts.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were very specific to my position and in line with my experience. It was a pleasant interview experience.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab.

2 initial phone interviews led to an on site interview. Interview included a tour, a prepared presentation and a half hour of mostly non-technical questions. The key is showing interest in physics. They like to hire anyone with a background or interest in the end product.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about my experience with controls, but nothing was too technical.   Answer Question

Worked for Lawrence Berkeley Lab? Contribute to the Community!