Lawrence Berkeley Lab

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Postdoctoral Fellow

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab in November 2009.

Interview Details – Found the job posting online, it was relevant to my previous work.
I flew to Berkeley, gave a presentation and then an interview to the hiring committee.
Overall friendly, smart people, with on-target but not aggressive questions

Interview Question – How do you work   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, I considered the pay and type of work very fair

Berkeley, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab in May 2010.

Interview Details – Not much of a process. I was recommended by my PI to my future boss (FB). Next, I talked to the FB at a national meeting and she invited me to came to campus for a visit. Finally, I was invited back for a formal interview. I received a job offer a few days after my interview.

Interview Question – Questions about my research were somewhat challenging. Otherwise, it went fairly smoothly.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I accepted the offer as is.

Berkeley, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab in March 2011.

Interview Details – Presentation of my work in front of a group of people.

1:1 interview to each team member and have lunch with them.

Advice:
Just to spend more time on preparing your presentation. They want to see whether you're knowledgeable and logical.
Also, they are testing you whether you can get along with other team members by allowing you to have informal meeting with them.

Interview Questions

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Emeryville, CA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab in August 2010.

Interview Details – I was referred to the hiring manager by my thesis advisor. It took approximately one week from submission of my CV and cover letter to the hiring manager (and subsequent submission through their online system) to gain an interview date. I met with the hiring manager first, then had several 1:1 and 1:3 interviews with other managers as well as other postdocs. I gave a 1-hr presentation. I remember the audience was small (~15-20 people), but very engaged and I was pleased with the discussion that took place after I was done. I was offered the position the following week. The facility (JBEI) is beautiful and the access to instrumentation and technical assistance was awesome. I also really enjoyed the people I worked with--they were intelligent, willing to listen and give feedback and lots of fun. Like most "postdoc farms," some were burnt out and ready to move on, but nevertheless good to work with.

Interview Question – How would you apply your previous work to the project you are being interviewed about today?`   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase because the salaries are set according to previous postdoctoral experience and because it is government, they are consistent throughout each department.

Berkeley, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab in May 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online- interview scheduled - 1:1 interview and presentation

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – no neogotiation

Postdoctoral Fellow

I applied online and interviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab.

Interview Details – got phone calls from the HR first and then my boss, nothing special, just about my research

Interview Question – no, it went very smoothly   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab in March 2010.

Interview Details – jusr a phone interview in March. Talk about the reserch during the phd. period. and talk the skills owned and discuss the possible work to do.

Interview Question – what did you do during the phd?   Answer Question

Worked for Lawrence Berkeley Lab? Contribute to the Community!