Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2014
Updated Sep 1, 2014

3.4

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

Apply through the website at www.llnl.gov. Be patient the process is slow. Be prepared to discuss what is on the job posting, but bring any project or work experience you have. If you applied in the past and did not get an interview right out of school keep trying, after getting some work experience. Think of how you documented projects in the past and what sort of safety concerns you had to overcome if any.

Health & Safety Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livermore, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

30 years ago. Tech school recommendation. Invitation to apply. Interview scheduled with Supervisor & Superintendent.

Interview Questions
    • when asked to work overtime what would you do about your children?   View Answer
    telephone conversation regarding practical issues concerning moving over 100 miles as a single mother with 2 little kids. Offer was made verbally & accepted before a written offer was sent thru the mail.

Lawrence Scholar Interview

I had to submit a research proposal with the support of my adviser and proposed supervisor. There was no interview for this position.

None

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livermore, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

First interview by phone with HR recruiter. Second interview a panel of 5. They gave me 3 topics to give a 15 minute presentation on my choice. It was a 1 hour interview. The remaining 45 minutes were the panel of 5 asking questions about previous work I had done, why I wanted to work there, etc. People were nice and helpful. The Lab is 1 square mile of buildings that previously was a military base. Some of the buildings are old barracks converted to offices. Most of the buildings are 40-60 years old. Some have been remodeled to a small degree but there is little money for nice buildings when funding is intended for science. In many of the older buildings the HVAC is unbalanced – some offices freeze while others overheat. They have taxis and electric and regular cars that you can check out to go to meetings in buildings on the other side of the campus. Bicycles are all over and can be used by whoever picks it up to ride around. Somewhat of an entitlement work culture. Many employees have been there 20+ years.

Interview Questions
    It was mostly verbal until a salary was agreed upon. Then I received a written letter of acceptance to sign.

Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

Phone interview followed by day long interview with 8-10 managers.

Interview Questions
    limited flexibility in hire package.

QA Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livermore, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in February 2011.

Applied online in early December 2010. Tailored the resume to fit the position.

Got call and phone interview with QA Group Leader in early Feb 2011.

Went in for interview 2nd or 3rd week Feb 2011. All day interview with several 1:1 with Group Leaders, or team members, then 3:1 with project that will employ me. (they have a cross-matrix organization).

Heard back ~ 2 weeks later, end of February with offer, contingent on passing drug test.

Analyst Interview

Livermore is a secure facility and as such you need to go through extensive security clearance before and while employed at Lawrence livermore National Labs. This reduces the opportunity for foriegn nationals and green card holders, but it offers the advantage of being a safe working envirorment. From time of application interview call can be anywhere from 2-6 weeks. Interviews are very lengthy, often a whole day process. After interview, the offer again may take several weeks.

Interview Questions
    • none that I can think of. Having exceptional skill in one area is more valuable thna being a good generalist.   Answer Question
    I was inexperienced but I did not negotiate anything. i accepted the offer as is.

Software Developer Web Applications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livermore, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in May 2011.

Was contacted by a recruiter from Dice regarding my resume post. Followed by a quick 15 min interview with the recruiter explaining what positions that were available at Lawrence Livermore Labs, explained the culture, and the history of the lab. My resume was pushed into the hiring manager who asked mostly about my resume, experience, and projects directly related to the oracle, java, and principals related to design. Very simple and quick. A few days later i was called in for a 1 hour technical phone interview asking about java trivia, design patterns, collections, and data structures. I was then invited in for a 2 hour panel type interview. First 1 hour was with 4 -- hiring manager, senior manager, 2 current team members. Second hour was with 6 additional engineers from out side groups. He first started asking me about my major and why i picked it, which focus did I pick and why i liked it. He asked for my GPA and what were some of my thoughts about the program at sjsu. A different engineer asked me about object oriented design, advantages of interfaces, abstract classes. He asked about design choices of why i would use this over other, about managability and reusability. A different engeer asked about web application, gui components, action listeners, deployment descriptors, WSDL, WSRP, SOAP, SQL trivia.

Interview Questions
    • describe your most difficult project, what was the problem, how did u solve it, what was the out come   Answer Question

Computer Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livermore, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in September 2010.

I found the job on dice. The initial communications and interview process were fine. I met with a team over 1 day and found the people very friendly and intelligent.

The post-interview process was very poor. I was told it would take a while and to check back in a few weeks. Ok, I did that. No answer. Finally, after 6 weeks, I called HR and lo and behold, I was called and offered the job later that same day. However, the offer was rescinded a week later. I was told the job was no longer available. Very strange. Seemed like there was a large disconnect between HR and the hiring team.

Interview Questions
    • I was surprised that none of the questions was very difficult. In fact, interviewers asked the same question, several times.   Answer Question

Physicist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livermore, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in October 2008.

I did a presentation of the experiment on which I was working on. I focused the attention on my contribution at the experiement. I was interrupted many times for questions. After that I had 1:1 interviews with the member of the experimental group, with a HR rappresentative, and the head division. They performed the background check and, a week before to start the new job, the drug test.

Interview Questions
    • what would you say it was your best and worst experience in your scientific carrier?   Answer Question

Worked for Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!