Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2015
Updated Feb 21, 2015

3.2

Material Science Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in February 2015.

I got an email from one of the staff scientists about a month after submitting my application to schedule an interview. I received an offer 5 days after the interview once he was done interviewing other applicants. Very fast process.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were about my resume -- the past work I did, and some follow-up questions based on what I told him. The interview was mostly me asking him questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, besides start/end date

Administrative Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

Interview process was quick, easy, flexible. Contacted by phone after applying online. Had an in-person panel interview. My interviewers were engaging and asked great questions. Wasn't painful and didn't have to waste time going through a resume rundown. Asked back for a second interview and early the next week received an offer. Everything just clicked and I felt it all went very well.

Research Scientist Interview

I was interviewing from out of town, so the interview process was condensed and intense (more than a full day of interviews with various teams, plus dinner with the team I was applying for afterward) and highly technical. They were very accommodating, however, and game to answer questions about the area and lifestyle as well as the research being done. I get the sense that the process is highly tailored by the team/lab you are applying to; apart from checking in with security and some basic background-check style questions, there wasn't much in the way of HR boilerplate.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a rather involved question about neural networks, an area I had indicated a casual interest in, but that wasn't really relevant to the work I was applying for. I suspect it was simply a feeler for my level of integrity done by someone who would know if I was being untruthful.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

Apply through the website at www.llnl.gov. Be patient the process is slow. Be prepared to discuss what is on the job posting, but bring any project or work experience you have. If you applied in the past and did not get an interview right out of school keep trying, after getting some work experience. Think of how you documented projects in the past and what sort of safety concerns you had to overcome if any.

Software Engineer/Applications Development Lead Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in June 2014.

Candidates must apply using Lhire online system. Hiring manager gets spammed by system with applications and are down selected based on criteria. Phone screen follows down selection. All day interview follows for those that do well or at least okay in phone screen. Candidates are interviewed by individual team members throughout the day based on posting criteria. Two month window to get hiring package to candidate based on preliminary clearances mostly

Interview Questions
    • I personally ask a Object-Oriented design question that must be done on a white board   View Answer
    Short and sweet

Health & Safety Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livermore, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

30 years ago. Tech school recommendation. Invitation to apply. Interview scheduled with Supervisor & Superintendent.

Interview Questions
    • when asked to work overtime what would you do about your children?   View Answer
    telephone conversation regarding practical issues concerning moving over 100 miles as a single mother with 2 little kids. Offer was made verbally & accepted before a written offer was sent thru the mail.

Lawrence Scholar Interview

I had to submit a research proposal with the support of my adviser and proposed supervisor. There was no interview for this position.

None

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livermore, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

First interview by phone with HR recruiter. Second interview a panel of 5. They gave me 3 topics to give a 15 minute presentation on my choice. It was a 1 hour interview. The remaining 45 minutes were the panel of 5 asking questions about previous work I had done, why I wanted to work there, etc. People were nice and helpful. The Lab is 1 square mile of buildings that previously was a military base. Some of the buildings are old barracks converted to offices. Most of the buildings are 40-60 years old. Some have been remodeled to a small degree but there is little money for nice buildings when funding is intended for science. In many of the older buildings the HVAC is unbalanced – some offices freeze while others overheat. They have taxis and electric and regular cars that you can check out to go to meetings in buildings on the other side of the campus. Bicycles are all over and can be used by whoever picks it up to ride around. Somewhat of an entitlement work culture. Many employees have been there 20+ years.

Interview Questions
    It was mostly verbal until a salary was agreed upon. Then I received a written letter of acceptance to sign.

Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

Phone interview followed by day long interview with 8-10 managers.

Interview Questions
    limited flexibility in hire package.

Analyst Interview

Livermore is a secure facility and as such you need to go through extensive security clearance before and while employed at Lawrence livermore National Labs. This reduces the opportunity for foriegn nationals and green card holders, but it offers the advantage of being a safe working envirorment. From time of application interview call can be anywhere from 2-6 weeks. Interviews are very lengthy, often a whole day process. After interview, the offer again may take several weeks.

Interview Questions
    • none that I can think of. Having exceptional skill in one area is more valuable thna being a good generalist.   Answer Question
    I was inexperienced but I did not negotiate anything. i accepted the offer as is.