Lazard

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Lazard in February 2011.

Interview Details – Went in without much of a corporate finance background, and got peppered with quantitative financial questions despite saying up front that my classes were mainly just economics. So kind of a struggle to keep going through all these concepts I hadn't heard of before.

Interview Question – Some corporate finance questions   View Answer

New York, NY

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Lazard in October 2010.

Interview Details – A lot of fit and mental math. Definitely need to know the basics of accounting and finance. They really want to know why IB because they expect you to stay on for 2 years. Very nice guys in general. Really have to show a passion for what you are applying to.

Interview Question – A lot of mental math. Be able to take percentage of numbers and quickly multiply.   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Lazard in September 2012.

Interview Details – Online application along with 4 questions requiring 250 word answers.

Then online Numerical Test.

Then online Verbal Reasoning Test.

Then Invited to AC... Resit Numerical Test. Case study test - Compile an overview on a company given a lot of information. And a 2-1 HR interview, why lazard, etc.

Then Invited to another AC this time with 5 other candidates....Lunch, followed by a group assessment, followed by a presentation. Group assessment - everyone was given an aquisition target and the group had to decide which was the best. Presentation - give presentation where you are IB, pitching to a client.

Then invited back for last round, two 1-1 interviews, more fit interviews rather than technical.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you acted with integrity?
Why Lazard?
What differentiates you from other candidates?
What are the signs of a successful merger?
What do you know about Lazard?
Reasons for a merger?
  Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Lazard in November 2011.

Interview Details – 1. Online application via Lazard website
2. Numerical reasoning test (online)
3. Verbal reasoning test (online)
4. First-round interview
-- This consisted of a written case study, a numerical test and a 1:1 interview with HR
5. Assessment centre
-- There were 6 people in my assessment centre
-- The day began with lunch and a chance to speak with current analysts, then a group discussion exercise and finally a 1:1 presentation task
6. Final round interview
-- The final round comprised two 1-hour interviews with Directors (one fit, one technical)

Interview Question – How would you invest £1m?   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

The process took a day - interviewed at Lazard in November 2009.

Interview Details – Recruitment was organized by the Cornell Partnership. They conduct the first round interviews. If successful, you are invited to an assessment centre at the Lazard Offices.
Structure of Assessment Centre:
1. Numerical Test
2. Group Exercises
3. Cut
4. 1:1 interview with two senior employees

The offices are very nice and located in Mayfair. The people who interviewed me were really looking for a personal fit rather than your technical skills. As Lazard places very high importance on the strategic aspect of M&A transactions, commercial awareness is one of their number one criteria in selecting candidates.

The analysts and associates I met during the networking lunch all seemed to be very happy about working at Lazard even though one of the employees told me that "the work is brutal". Nevertheless, he noted that it is extremely rewarding, especially in terms of the board level exposure you get.

Interview Questions

Very Easy Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Lazard in April 2008.

Interview Details – the interview was interesting. first round was an interview with 2 people from human resources and it was basically just simple competency questions. a couple of brain teasers were also mixed in. 2nd round was assessment center and I had to do a group exercise regarding high society and managing roles

Interview Question – what is the angle between the minute hand and the hour hand at 3:15   View Answer

Worked for Lazard? Contribute to the Community!