Lazard Intern Interview Questions

Updated May 16, 2015

3.7

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lazard.

Interview

Was referred by an employee. Took a week to get invited for an interview. Had two interviews: 1 VP and 1 Associate. Took two weeks to hear the decision. As I did not have background in investment banking at the time, both interviewers were rather relaxed on the technical questions, whereas brain teasers and personality questions were more difficult. One of the toughest questions I received was "What is your ultimate goal in life". I knew investment baking required full-time commitment to the company for a long time (hence, no personal life and so forth), but I replied honestly that I want to have a big family with 3 kids at least and working as a banker would help me realize this dream.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through you CV? What are the main valuation methodologies? How do they differ?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Lazard

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lazard in December 2011.

Interview

No CV is required by Lazard in the UK. 4 competency questions (including one on valuation were submitted), and was invited very quickly to sit numerical and verbal tests.

The same day as the tests were completed, I was invited for a first round interview to take place a week later. This was a 1:1 interview with HR. It covered standard competency questions but with a bias towards Lazard's defining principles - I was asked numerous questions about times I had acted honestly and with integrity. There was also some very, very basic technical questions (difference between a merger and an acquisition, signs of a successful acquisition/merger, etc).

Upon being successful in this round, I was invited to an AC. Unlike other banks ACs, Lazard's do not involve interviews, and there is a final stage after this. The AC consisted of a resit of the numerical test, a group exercise where we were each given a different company to consider as an acquisition target, and a solo presentation. The group exercise did not require any valuation methodologies, was was more about operational synergies. The solo presentation was a roleplay where I was the IB, and involved somewhat more of a technical element, but still nothing at all detailed.

Final round involved 2 interviews with VPs. These were 30 minutes each and were probably the 'deepest' interviews I had in a bank. Standard competency questions were used for the first few minutes but then each went with its own flow. In one they pushed my technical knowledge as far as they could take it but without trying to shake me.

My overall impression was that Lazard's primary concern with candidates is commercial awareness. This was the defining principle of the extended interviews, and I was asked to go in depth on M&A deals I was interested in and how they affected the businesses involved/the rationale behind them.

Interview Questions

• Please tell us about a time you have acted with integrity.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lazard in September 2011.

Interview

Invitation for interviews came the same day I sent my application. In total 4 Interviews (all levels of hierarchy), very pleasant people. Fit and technical quesitons (valuation, corporate finance) in all interviews.

Interview Questions

• Please explain the APV valuation method conceptionally   Answer Question