Lazard Interview Questions

Updated Jul 21, 2015

3.4

Investment Banking Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Lazard (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

First round by phone, 4 to 5 interviews by video conference, one technical interview (case - straightforward questions about valuation, basic qualitative questions, accretion and dilution analyses). During the super-day 8 presidential interviews (tell me about yourself, why banking, why Lazard, tell me about some of the recent deals this office has done, etc.). All the process was very friendly.

Interview Questions

• Many behavioral questions. Why would someone invest in a AAA bond with a negative yield?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Interview

First rounds were conducted on campus, contacted the same evening to attend a Superday at the office. Relatively straightforward questions on valuation and basic qualitative questions (tell me about yourself, why banking, why Lazard, tell me about some of the recent deals this office has done, etc.). Superday was 3 hours long.

Interview Questions

• Explain to me why one company may have a higher multiple (any multiple of choice) than another   Answer Question

Interview

We had interviews on campus as part of our school's recruitment process.

Interview Questions

Interview

The first round interview was about 30 minutes long and consisted of questions about my resume and background. Then in the rest of the interview, the interviewer described the type of work that the job entailed and what type of person would be a good fit. There were no behavioral or technical questions in this first round.

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Lazard.

Interview

Phone interview and then superday

Interview Questions

• All pretty easy run of the mill technical and behaivoral questions. why IB why lazard pitch a stock walk me through a dcf and then specific questions about steps in the dcf   Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Lazard (Chicago, IL) in February 2013.

Interview

Applied through college career site. At first, I was declined a interview, but later on accepted an interview. Met with a 3rd year analyst and 1st year associate. They seemed to be playing good cop/bad cop. Asked standard behavioral and technical questions but seemed pretty uninterested in being there interviewing.

Interview Questions

• Which one has a higher discount rate, DCF or LBO?   2 Answers

Interview

Was interviewed by 2 guys, one associate and one junior analyst. The interview was very laid-back, mostly fit questions like going through my resume, why I wanted to work in investment banking, which sectors I was interested in and so on. They were both very nice, no good cop, bad cop. They did throw in some technical questions, but they were basic accounting questions.

Interview Questions

• How do the three financial statements work?   2 Answers

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Lazard (Houston, TX) in January 2012.

Interview

30 minute interview, 2 bankers present, conducted on-campus. More emphasis on "fit" than other banking interviews. I was asked 2 finance questions that were not complex. (1 accounting, 1 valuations) I happened to grow up in Houston and attended private school from preschool through high school. I mentioned this as an offhand comment, and one of the interviewers actually wrote it down. Do they really care where I went to preschool? Also, they had a good cop/bad cop attitude. Having done behavioral/fit interviews for other industries, I didn't think it was that bad, but it caught some others off-guard, who were expecting more of a focus on the financial questions.

Interview Questions

• You just sold an asset worth $200M. Walk me through the three financial statements.   2 Answers

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Lazard (New York, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

Normal on-campus recruiting process. First round was a two-on-one interview with Associates. Mainly technical questions, fairly intense. One interviewer would ask a question and the other would interrupt my response with another technical question. They were nice enough guys though, as after I answered a bunch of technicals correctly the tone of the interview shifted and became much more lighthearted. Nothing unexpected though. Invitation to superday a few days later. Superday consisted of 4 one-on-one interviews with VPs and Associates. Fewer technical questions, more fit questions as well as some brainteaser/probability questions.

Interview Questions

• standard valuation, accounting questions. ex: can you have negative enterprise value, etc?   Answer Question
    • why lazard?   1 Answer

Have heard bad things about culture and bonuses. Had another offer at a similar firm.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Lazard (Chicago, IL) in February 2011.

Interview

Went in without much of a corporate finance background, and got peppered with quantitative financial questions despite saying up front that my classes were mainly just economics. So kind of a struggle to keep going through all these concepts I hadn't heard of before.

Interview Questions

• Some corporate finance questions   1 Answer