Lazard Interview Questions

Updated Jun 15, 2014
Updated Jun 15, 2014

3.4

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

First rounds were conducted on campus, contacted the same evening to attend a Superday at the office. Relatively straightforward questions on valuation and basic qualitative questions (tell me about yourself, why banking, why Lazard, tell me about some of the recent deals this office has done, etc.). Superday was 3 hours long.

Interview Questions
    • Explain to me why one company may have a higher multiple (any multiple of choice) than another   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

We had interviews on campus as part of our school's recruitment process.

Investment Banking Intern Interview

The first round interview was about 30 minutes long and consisted of questions about my resume and background. Then in the rest of the interview, the interviewer described the type of work that the job entailed and what type of person would be a good fit. There were no behavioral or technical questions in this first round.

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Lazard.

Phone interview and then superday

Interview Questions
    • All pretty easy run of the mill technical and behaivoral questions. why IB why lazard pitch a stock walk me through a dcf and then specific questions about steps in the dcf   Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Lazard in February 2013.

Applied through college career site. At first, I was declined a interview, but later on accepted an interview. Met with a 3rd year analyst and 1st year associate. They seemed to be playing good cop/bad cop. Asked standard behavioral and technical questions but seemed pretty uninterested in being there interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • Which one has a higher discount rate, DCF or LBO?   View Answer

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Was interviewed by 2 guys, one associate and one junior analyst. The interview was very laid-back, mostly fit questions like going through my resume, why I wanted to work in investment banking, which sectors I was interested in and so on. They were both very nice, no good cop, bad cop. They did throw in some technical questions, but they were basic accounting questions.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Lazard in January 2012.

30 minute interview, 2 bankers present, conducted on-campus. More emphasis on "fit" than other banking interviews. I was asked 2 finance questions that were not complex. (1 accounting, 1 valuations) I happened to grow up in Houston and attended private school from preschool through high school. I mentioned this as an offhand comment, and one of the interviewers actually wrote it down. Do they really care where I went to preschool? Also, they had a good cop/bad cop attitude. Having done behavioral/fit interviews for other industries, I didn't think it was that bad, but it caught some others off-guard, who were expecting more of a focus on the financial questions.

Interview Questions
    • You just sold an asset worth $200M. Walk me through the three financial statements.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Lazard in October 2011.

Normal on-campus recruiting process. First round was a two-on-one interview with Associates. Mainly technical questions, fairly intense. One interviewer would ask a question and the other would interrupt my response with another technical question. They were nice enough guys though, as after I answered a bunch of technicals correctly the tone of the interview shifted and became much more lighthearted. Nothing unexpected though. Invitation to superday a few days later. Superday consisted of 4 one-on-one interviews with VPs and Associates. Fewer technical questions, more fit questions as well as some brainteaser/probability questions.

Interview Questions
    • standard valuation, accounting questions. ex: can you have negative enterprise value, etc?   Answer Question
    • why lazard?   View Answer

Have heard bad things about culture and bonuses. Had another offer at a similar firm.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Lazard in February 2011.

Went in without much of a corporate finance background, and got peppered with quantitative financial questions despite saying up front that my classes were mainly just economics. So kind of a struggle to keep going through all these concepts I hadn't heard of before.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Lazard in October 2010.

A lot of fit and mental math. Definitely need to know the basics of accounting and finance. They really want to know why IB because they expect you to stay on for 2 years. Very nice guys in general. Really have to show a passion for what you are applying to.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of mental math. Be able to take percentage of numbers and quickly multiply.   Answer Question

Worked for Lazard? Contribute to the Community!