Lazard Interview Questions

Updated Jun 15, 2014
Updated Jun 15, 2014

3.4

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Paris (France)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lazard in September 2013.

The interview process for an internship implies 4 rounds : two with analysts and two with associates. Since it was for the Telecoms and Tech team, the interviews were very oriented on the strategic aspects of the major actors in Telecoms (AT&T, Verizon, Vodafone, and in France : Orange, SFR, Bouygues, and Free). The recent disposal of Vivendi of its shares in Maroc Telecom (IAM), was the main subject of the interviews, since I knew from an intern that the team was currently working on the deal. concerning the technical part: valuation methods, and accounting cases were briefly discussed.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was for me: what do you put in a pitch presentation ?   Answer Question

M&A Analyst Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lazard in October 2013.

Got in contact via campus recruitment. The employees from the Amsterdam office were very friendly and answered all questions. After a workshop on campus, for which there was CV selection, there was one more interview at the office. There were no really difficult questions in general, but the interviewers went quite into detail when it came to technical questions --> so be prepared!

Interview Questions
    • Really know the intuitions behind every item in the free cash flow analysis, what happens if this goes up, this goes down, by how much etc. Know multiples very well. Give your forecast fo the M&A market in the next year, which industries might do well/poorly?
      Also, why don't you want to do consulting instead? What's so special about our firm, compared to competitors?
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Paris (France)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Lazard in December 2012.

summer analyst in the Telecom and tech team. i had 3 interviews, 1 with an analyst and 2 with associates. each interview lasted for 45 minutes, mainly technical. they asked about evaluation methods, mainly multiples, then deals about telecom i already know about, why Lazard, questions about earlier internhips, etc
    they mainly need multicultural graduates, who speaks different langages.

Summer Advisory/IBD Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Lazard in December 2012.

1. Online application (lengthy, difficult)
    2. Online tests (Verbal + Numerical) - simple
    3. First round interview in the office. 1) Numerical tests online (pretty much the same as online) 2) Case study (You have to summarise a deal between two companies- very simple) 3) Standard Interview with HR (Why banking, Why Lazard, etc)
    4. Second round is an AC. 1) Group exercise (you describe the best acquisition target between the candidates) - quite hard because of the quality of people, especially if you are foreign. 2) Presentation. (You get given 20 minutes to prepare a 5 minute presentation about potential acquisition). Hard task, because very little time. Make sure you are confident about what you say and you have a structure.
    5. Didn't get to this stage...

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected of difficult questions, they rather wanna see how you behave.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  City of London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England (UK)

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Lazard in February 2010.

When applying on their website I recall a standard mathematical aptitude test. Next step was a phone interview with an external recruitment firm. Quite technical to be a phone interview, with the interviewer asking detailed questions on the steps of a DCF valuation and which factors could affect the outcome. The final step was an assesment center at their London office, with approximately 25 applicatants fighting for what I believe were 7 spots. The day started off with a math test, after which we were split into groups of 8. In the group we recieved two separate cases which we were to discuss and present an outcome. The bankers present seemed to have created a pre-concieved picture of the candidates, as the criticism I recieved was that I didn't perform the way they would have wanted me to - not saying that I performed badly. After eating a lunch with a few of the analysts present, half the group was cut, and the other half had 1-1 interviews with MD's.

Interview Questions
    • Which 6 people (from a list of appr. 20) would you choose to become the management of a newly formed firm?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Lazard in October 2010.

A lot of fit and mental math. Definitely need to know the basics of accounting and finance. They really want to know why IB because they expect you to stay on for 2 years. Very nice guys in general. Really have to show a passion for what you are applying to.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of mental math. Be able to take percentage of numbers and quickly multiply.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Lazard in February 2011.

Went in without much of a corporate finance background, and got peppered with quantitative financial questions despite saying up front that my classes were mainly just economics. So kind of a struggle to keep going through all these concepts I hadn't heard of before.

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Lazard in February 2013.

Applied through college career site. At first, I was declined a interview, but later on accepted an interview. Met with a 3rd year analyst and 1st year associate. They seemed to be playing good cop/bad cop. Asked standard behavioral and technical questions but seemed pretty uninterested in being there interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • Which one has a higher discount rate, DCF or LBO?   View Answer

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Lazard in October 2011.

Normal on-campus recruiting process. First round was a two-on-one interview with Associates. Mainly technical questions, fairly intense. One interviewer would ask a question and the other would interrupt my response with another technical question. They were nice enough guys though, as after I answered a bunch of technicals correctly the tone of the interview shifted and became much more lighthearted. Nothing unexpected though. Invitation to superday a few days later. Superday consisted of 4 one-on-one interviews with VPs and Associates. Fewer technical questions, more fit questions as well as some brainteaser/probability questions.

Interview Questions
    • standard valuation, accounting questions. ex: can you have negative enterprise value, etc?   Answer Question
    • why lazard?   View Answer

Have heard bad things about culture and bonuses. Had another offer at a similar firm.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Lazard in November 2011.

1. Online application via Lazard website
    2. Numerical reasoning test (online)
    3. Verbal reasoning test (online)
    4. First-round interview
    -- This consisted of a written case study, a numerical test and a 1:1 interview with HR
    5. Assessment centre
    -- There were 6 people in my assessment centre
    -- The day began with lunch and a chance to speak with current analysts, then a group discussion exercise and finally a 1:1 presentation task
    6. Final round interview
    -- The final round comprised two 1-hour interviews with Directors (one fit, one technical)

Interview Questions

Worked for Lazard? Contribute to the Community!