Lazard Interview Questions

Updated Jul 21, 2015

3.4

Stagiaire Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)

(Translated from English)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lazard (Paris (France)) in September 2013.

Interview

L'entretien pour un stage se déroule en 4 étapes : deux étapes avec des analystes et deux étapes avec des collaborateurs. Étant donné que c'était pour les Telecoms et l'équipe technique, les entretiens étaient orientés sur les aspects stratégiques des acteurs majeurs des Telecoms (AT&T, Verizon, Vodafone et pour la France : Orange, SFR Bouygues et Free). La récente cession par Vivendi de ses parts de Maroc Telecom (IAM) était le sujet principal de l'entretien car j'avais appris par un stagiaire que l'équipe travaillait actuellement sur l'affaire. À propos de la partie technique : les méthodes d’évaluation et les cas en comptabilité ont été brièvement abordés.

The interview process for an internship implies 4 rounds : two with analysts and two with associates. Since it was for the Telecoms and Tech team, the interviews were very oriented on the strategic aspects of the major actors in Telecoms (AT&T, Verizon, Vodafone, and in France : Orange, SFR, Bouygues, and Free). The recent disposal of Vivendi of its shares in Maroc Telecom (IAM), was the main subject of the interviews, since I knew from an intern that the team was currently working on the deal. concerning the technical part: valuation methods, and accounting cases were briefly discussed.

Interview Questions

• La question la plus difficile selon moi était : que mettriez-vous dans un pitch de présentation ?   The most difficult question was for me: what do you put in a pitch presentation ?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Lazard (Chicago, IL) in February 2013.

Interview

Applied through college career site. At first, I was declined a interview, but later on accepted an interview. Met with a 3rd year analyst and 1st year associate. They seemed to be playing good cop/bad cop. Asked standard behavioral and technical questions but seemed pretty uninterested in being there interviewing.

Interview Questions

• Which one has a higher discount rate, DCF or LBO?   2 Answers

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Lazard (New York, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

Normal on-campus recruiting process. First round was a two-on-one interview with Associates. Mainly technical questions, fairly intense. One interviewer would ask a question and the other would interrupt my response with another technical question. They were nice enough guys though, as after I answered a bunch of technicals correctly the tone of the interview shifted and became much more lighthearted. Nothing unexpected though. Invitation to superday a few days later. Superday consisted of 4 one-on-one interviews with VPs and Associates. Fewer technical questions, more fit questions as well as some brainteaser/probability questions.

Interview Questions

• standard valuation, accounting questions. ex: can you have negative enterprise value, etc?   Answer Question
    • why lazard?   1 Answer

Have heard bad things about culture and bonuses. Had another offer at a similar firm.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lazard (London, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

Long application form but fairly standard. Numerical and verbal reasoning tests. Very quick response (two days later) invited to first round interview at their office. An hour case study on a company, had to produce a one page summary on a computer from a long paper report. Key here is to work fast and efficiently. It is better to leave out some detail and finish than to not finish the task. I found this stage quite challenging. A re test of the numerical reasoning. A 30 minute interview on the case study and some general competency questions. Invited to next round AC but received an offer from another banks so I didn't attend.

Interview Questions

• Describe yourself in three words? Which other banks have you applied to and why? What is your greatest disappointment?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lazard (London, England (UK)) in November 2009.

Interview

Recruitment was organized by the Cornell Partnership. They conduct the first round interviews. If successful, you are invited to an assessment centre at the Lazard Offices. Structure of Assessment Centre: 1. Numerical Test 2. Group Exercises 3. Cut 4. 1:1 interview with two senior employees The offices are very nice and located in Mayfair. The people who interviewed me were really looking for a personal fit rather than your technical skills. As Lazard places very high importance on the strategic aspect of M&A transactions, commercial awareness is one of their number one criteria in selecting candidates. The analysts and associates I met during the networking lunch all seemed to be very happy about working at Lazard even though one of the employees told me that "the work is brutal". Nevertheless, he noted that it is extremely rewarding, especially in terms of the board level exposure you get.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Lazard (New York, NY) in October 2010.

Interview

A lot of fit and mental math. Definitely need to know the basics of accounting and finance. They really want to know why IB because they expect you to stay on for 2 years. Very nice guys in general. Really have to show a passion for what you are applying to.

Interview Questions

• A lot of mental math. Be able to take percentage of numbers and quickly multiply.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in City of London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lazard (City of London, England (UK)) in February 2010.

Interview

When applying on their website I recall a standard mathematical aptitude test. Next step was a phone interview with an external recruitment firm. Quite technical to be a phone interview, with the interviewer asking detailed questions on the steps of a DCF valuation and which factors could affect the outcome. The final step was an assesment center at their London office, with approximately 25 applicatants fighting for what I believe were 7 spots. The day started off with a math test, after which we were split into groups of 8. In the group we recieved two separate cases which we were to discuss and present an outcome. The bankers present seemed to have created a pre-concieved picture of the candidates, as the criticism I recieved was that I didn't perform the way they would have wanted me to - not saying that I performed badly. After eating a lunch with a few of the analysts present, half the group was cut, and the other half had 1-1 interviews with MD's.

Interview Questions

• Which 6 people (from a list of appr. 20) would you choose to become the management of a newly formed firm?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lazard (London, England (UK)) in November 2011.

Interview

1. Online application via Lazard website 2. Numerical reasoning test (online) 3. Verbal reasoning test (online) 4. First-round interview -- This consisted of a written case study, a numerical test and a 1:1 interview with HR 5. Assessment centre -- There were 6 people in my assessment centre -- The day began with lunch and a chance to speak with current analysts, then a group discussion exercise and finally a 1:1 presentation task 6. Final round interview -- The final round comprised two 1-hour interviews with Directors (one fit, one technical)

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lazard (Chicago, IL) in February 2011.

Interview

Went in without much of a corporate finance background, and got peppered with quantitative financial questions despite saying up front that my classes were mainly just economics. So kind of a struggle to keep going through all these concepts I hadn't heard of before.

Interview Questions

• Some corporate finance questions   1 Answer

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Lazard in October 2007.

Interview

On-campus interview Final rounds at the office (interviewed with 5-6 people) Asked basic banking questions: Why Banking? Why Lazard? Why you? Asked questions you can get from vault: How do you value a company? What are the ways? (and gets into more and more detail to see how well you know) Basic behavioral questions

Interview Questions

• You're a banker and you hate banking -- it'll take you a truck load of money to convince you to be a banker. How much money is in the truck?   2 Answers

Negotiation

I negotiated for two weeks -- I wanted to be in the Restructuring group