Lazard Interview Questions

Updated Jun 15, 2014
Updated Jun 15, 2014

3.4

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

We had interviews on campus as part of our school's recruitment process.

Investment Banking Intern Interview

The first round interview was about 30 minutes long and consisted of questions about my resume and background. Then in the rest of the interview, the interviewer described the type of work that the job entailed and what type of person would be a good fit. There were no behavioral or technical questions in this first round.

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

First rounds were conducted on campus, contacted the same evening to attend a Superday at the office. Relatively straightforward questions on valuation and basic qualitative questions (tell me about yourself, why banking, why Lazard, tell me about some of the recent deals this office has done, etc.). Superday was 3 hours long.

Interview Questions
    • Explain to me why one company may have a higher multiple (any multiple of choice) than another   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Lazard in April 2008.

the interview was interesting. first round was an interview with 2 people from human resources and it was basically just simple competency questions. a couple of brain teasers were also mixed in. 2nd round was assessment center and I had to do a group exercise regarding high society and managing roles

Interview Questions
    • what is the angle between the minute hand and the hour hand at 3:15   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Lazard in December 2012.

Online application which included a few short questions on motivation and 1 technical question on valuation methods. First round interview was mainly fit and was conducted by HR. I also re took the initial maths test to prove I'd done it the first time on my own. Second round was a group discussion followed by an individual presentation.

Interview Questions
    • During my presentation (on a due diligence case study) I was asked how I would handle a request for specific legal information. Unexpected.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Lazard in April 2011.

Applied online through email and received first round interview a few days after. First-round interview took place in office with 2 analyst/associate. It was a general fit type of interview, questions about resume and knowledge of deals. Whole interview lasted for half an hour; went really smoothly.
    Second-round interview was with 2 directors at the firm's office again: covered more technical and fit-based questions as well as questions on Why Lazard etc. Process went really smoothly and made it to the next round which was a group case study. Most of the participants did not know much about pitchbook presentation, valuation and modelling. As the sell-side advisor, we had to recommend whether to sell the company given its the strategic rationale, risk, valuation appropriate for the company, and how we should approach the offer etc. The whole case study lasted for 2 hours and presentation for 15mins with 10mins Q&A. Then we had a networking event with the senior bankers.
    Perception of the culture of the firm was quite neutral personally. Firm had around 15 people at the office which I found was not my fit. Didn't click with the bankers at the office. Work culture I heard was quite rough (heard stories of many all-nighters there)

Interview Questions
    • Why would you choose a firm like Lazard over a bulge bracket like Credit Suisse?   View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Paris (France)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Lazard in February 2014.

I had 2 interviews: first with ananlysts and with one of the managing directors. Was asked mainly about my motivation and skills. The second interview was conducted by another two managing directors. Questions were technical and theoretical.

Interview Questions
    • Questions on Macroeconomics, Valuation. I had an impression that I should've had full understanding of things happening in the world and to be able to analyze it and give some propositions concerning it.   Answer Question

Graduate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lazard in October 2013.

There were three components: business case study, numerical reasoning test (again), and general interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, very standard. Why Lazard, what differentiates you from others etc.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Lazard.

Phone interview and then superday

Interview Questions
    • All pretty easy run of the mill technical and behaivoral questions. why IB why lazard pitch a stock walk me through a dcf and then specific questions about steps in the dcf   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Lazard in January 2012.

30 minute interview, 2 bankers present, conducted on-campus. More emphasis on "fit" than other banking interviews. I was asked 2 finance questions that were not complex. (1 accounting, 1 valuations) I happened to grow up in Houston and attended private school from preschool through high school. I mentioned this as an offhand comment, and one of the interviewers actually wrote it down. Do they really care where I went to preschool? Also, they had a good cop/bad cop attitude. Having done behavioral/fit interviews for other industries, I didn't think it was that bad, but it caught some others off-guard, who were expecting more of a focus on the financial questions.

Interview Questions
    • You just sold an asset worth $200M. Walk me through the three financial statements.   Answer Question

Worked for Lazard? Contribute to the Community!